Bad bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Merry Christmas to all!!!

Today im just doing my wife's SUV oil change. I have bought a case of Schaeffer a months ago for my Camaro and i still had two quarters of oil after an oil change.
Well today ive noticed only these bottles was wet on side of bottle. One is new (just opened it to use it for my wife's. And other one is opened months ago when i did my Camaro.

Anyone else noticed from other new bottles?

Just bored this morning at 3 AM so figured something to share lol

4A57D0C5-29D5-4573-8A7B-112B7C1B1FE8.jpeg

Last edited:
I would say its the residual from when you used it last.... around the treads it came from, you know the drips. If it didn't do that I'd say it was bad

Same thing used to happen with Pennzoil bottles. This is the reason i prefer foil seals. I'm not sure anyone knows why it happens. My bottles weren't sardined next each other or lying on their sides. Luckily, this hasn't happened with with newish bottle design...yet. I have quite a few jugs that would cause a mess.

Try releasing air pressure in the bottles by slightly turning the cap, not cracking the snap-ring.

Now, if Shfrs uses foil seals and the bottle was never opened, your guess is as good as mine.

Merry Christmas all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wick
I would say its the residual from when you used it last.... around the treads it came from, you know the drips. If it didn't do that I'd say it was bad

One bottle was new, never opened until right before took a picture.

Originally Posted by wemay
Same thing used to happen with Pennzoil bottles. This is the reason i prefer foil seals. I'm not sure anyone knows why it happens. My bottles weren't sardined next each other or lying on their sides. Luckily, this hasn't happened with with newish bottle design...yet. I have quite a few jugs that would cause a mess.

Try releasing air pressure in the bottles by slightly turning the cap, not cracking the snap-ring.

Now, if Shfrs uses foil seals and the bottle was never opened, your guess is as good as mine.

Merry Christmas all.

Shaffer bottle was not seal with foil. My other 5 jug M1 was with foil seal which was clean outside.

Im not sure if it makes different because bottle was sitting in garage for few months and never touch. Only changes was outside temp. Haha

Last edited:
If you are just noticing it, it could've been that way from the factory they just got a drip in the manufacturing process…

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Saving 100's of cents per bottle has consequences.

For sure, and I would let them know about it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I will send them an email. When i have bought a case, all bottles was dry and clean. Its not a big of deal but was kinda interesting to see it.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I will send them an email. When i have bought a case, all bottles was dry and clean. Its not a big of deal but was kinda interesting to see it.

I'd be interested in their reply.

It is not a issue unless you make it one. There will be a lot of bottles like this at a mom and pop auto parts store without a lot of turnover.

Originally Posted by dave1251
It is not a issue unless you make it one. There will be a lot of bottles like this at a mom and pop auto parts store without a lot of turnover.

No issue here.

Happens a lot.More with some brands than others. Chevron quart bottles are the worst - they almost all seep from underneath the lid if not store upright 100% of the time because they don't have a seal.

Last edited:
Ive seen that from time to time on quart bottles of different types. I doubt there are many different manufacturers of bottles...

I think the bottles are molded in half, and perhaps there is a highly tortuous path, though generally sealed, that allows some oil to make its way. Once the voids are wetted with oil over time, then its easier to creep.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

I think the bottles are molded in half, and perhaps there is a highly tortuous path, though generally sealed, that allows some oil to make its way. Once the voids are wetted with oil over time, then its easier to creep.

The bottles are blow molded. The seam you see in the side of the bottle is from the mold (probably a casting). Only time I see oil on the side of the bottle is after I've opened. Probably seeping from the opening after being poured.

Originally Posted by tig1
Was this purchased "off the shelf" or ordered?

Ordered. Picked up from warehouse.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by JHZR2

The bottles are blow molded. The seam you see in the side of the bottle is from the mold (probably a casting). Only time I see oil on the side of the bottle is after I've opened. Probably seeping from the opening after being poured.

Normally people pouring to other side of picture i have posted. I do use this side to hold bottle.

Do you think this happens because part of quality controls?
I do have Brad Penn bottle from year back and its pretty good expect dust. Also Mitsubishi Diff fluid qt bottle that i have looks pretty clean too, its been opened and sitting in garage for more than a year now.

Creepy-deepy additives spreading and creeping as usual. Happens to most oils if any ever gets onto the threads. Sometimes the stuff is so creepy-deepy that it doens't matter if the bottle wasn't opened. Valvoline ATF stop leak on the store shelves comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back