New job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I start the new custodian job.

Been out of work for a few months finally got into a school district as a substitute custodian. Counting my blessings and being thankful for what it is hopefully it will lead into something permanent. Been really depressed between seasonal changes and out of work my batteries feel a bit recharged today.

Thanks to this forum and all the members this is a great place to come to, to get educated share our troubles and problems get advice and so on. We don't always see eye to eye in our discussions but we're a web community and it's a great one to be part of. God bless everyone and their families, Merry Christmas happy new year and to those who celebrate differently may you also enjoy the season.

Dennis

Hope it turns into a full time job . If it does , will it continue through the summer months ?

All the best to you and yours , :)

God bless
Wyr

Research proper mopping techniques, mopping is really hard on your back and you don't want to isolate it. Also keep those elbows down when you mop, that's a great way to avoid getting tennis elbow. Proper mopping technique is almost like stirring a cauldron: Keep the mop centered in front of you, elbows low and try to use your entire lower body to move the mop. I mopped MANY hallways and I found this was the easiest way to do it.

I don't want to scare you but I was a school board janitor for a while and it was harder on my body than working construction. Cleaning toilets, mopping, bending over to pick things up is really hard on your back. Get in the habit of bending at the knees, it will save your back.

Working in schools is great fun, but the people who work there are often some of the most authoritarian and cruel people you will meet. I was in a public sector union which probably explained a lot of that, but people who are in charge of kids all day have a tendency to treat adults the same way they treat the kids.

Good luck, and the teachers love it when you sweep and mop under their desks.

Here in Utah it's not all unusual for the school districts to hire high school students to do most of the custodial work. It beats paying someone $50,000.00 to mop floors.

Originally Posted by CKN
Here in Utah it's not all unusual for the school districts to hire high school students to do most of the custodial work. It beats paying someone $50,000.00 to mop floors.

That's a very ignorant thing to say to someone who is excited to get a job ! You really must have something wrong with you to make a statement like that .

I normally take maxdustington with a grain of salt. But his advice about being mindful of of back and knees is spot on. I used to work for a floor cleaning outfit when I was in high school.Is it night work at a school? Congrats on your new job. My precocious 18 month old at the time, called it unenjoyment. Dwelling on the edge of depression as I used to; unenjoyment would tip me over that edge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by CKN

That's a very ignorant thing to say to someone who is excited to get a job ! You really must have something wrong with you to make a statement like that .
Where I worked, they actually had student janitors who worked after school as well as summer students. I remember one summer student having wrists so skinny he must have never picked up anything heavier than his backpack.

What he said is 100% true, especially when you consider the pension liabilities. Getting paid a public sector wage + pension for unskilled work is insane, OP is very lucky to acquire such a position and I'm sure he will make the most of the opportunity.

Don't kid yourself about paying someone $50k until they are dead to do a minimum wage job, the municipal governments of Chicago and Detroit are learning that the hard way.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by CKN

Yeah. No one should poo poo the guy's new job especially if he had trouble finding work.

I sometimes post jobs in the Off Topic section, maybe a BITOG member will get hired in the future...

Originally Posted by andyd
I normally take maxdustington with a grain of salt. But his advice about being mindful of of back and knees is spot on. I used to work for a floor cleaning outfit when I was in high school.Is it night work at a school? Congrats on your new job. My precocious 18 month old at the time, called it unenjoyment. Dwelling on the edge of depression as I used to; unenjoyment would tip me over that edge.
Thanks. When I started I was fresh out of university and I needed a job. I would tell people what I did and they would say it was a good job, but it was just a job, not a career. I worked 3-9 which was a mixed blessing, but working evenings is not for me. I possess a work ethic and temperament forged from working construction, and that was a liability in that position.

Glad for you.
Any job beats no job and I can see being out of work as a source of mental distress.
It would be for me, although I do have the option of early retirement.
There's probably a good chance of your job becoming permanent since many younger people would consider such a job beneath them and in the current economy there are many options.
It would be for me, although I do have the option of early retirement.
I'm happy for you that you've found employment and there are much worse places to be than the public sector, which typically offers benefits unheard of today in private sector jobs to offset the typically lower wages for equivalent work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back