Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting

Originally Posted by dave1251
I don't buy into Keto. It's still you have burn more than you intake.

True, but ketosis is a legitimate Krebs cycle pathway and it is metabolically less efficient than the one for glucose.

Plus you get to smell like acetone. What's not to like
wink.gif

If you saw the calories from fats and protein I'm consuming you would think otherwise... I was on diets with low carbs as low as 800cal a day and had a hard time loosing. Not so with this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

True, but ketosis is a legitimate Krebs cycle pathway and it is metabolically less efficient than the one for glucose.

wink.gif

The acetone breath is temporary. I no longer have it. I also find that I don't need to apply deodorant twice a day any longer like I used to when I was eating carbs. Also I had athletes foot religiously with one toe that I was constantly treating on and off and that has stopped as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
No I'm interested to see as well, maybe once I'm ready to transition back to some carbs I will just do the rice thing to see if it's the shock to my system or it was just the Pizza.

So what are you doing as working out physically how many days a week and what cardio lifting weights crossfit or other???

wink.gif

Hmmm acetone.

Originally Posted by dave123
No I'm interested to see as well, maybe once I'm ready to transition back to some carbs I will just do the rice thing to see if it's the shock to my system or it was just the Pizza.

So what are you doing as working out physically how many days a week and what cardio lifting weights crossfit or other???

I haven been in the past couple of weeks because I have been super busy at work and then holiday running around stuff, work travel, and I have tennis elbow going on.

I haven been in the past couple of weeks because I have been super busy at work and then holiday running around stuff, work travel, and I have tennis elbow going on.

So just a pile of excuses.

I have been intermittent fasting (IF) for a couple of years now. I am in the best shape of my life and half a century is within sight.

IF totally works to regulate your metabolism and keeps me feeling full of energy. IF makes it easy to eat only good foods. The advantage over all other 'diet strategies' is that it is 100% sustainable in the sense that one could intermittent fast indefinitely. It requires no special food combinations, calculations or restrictions to ostracize you from everyone else. Just eat good food in the 8 hour window. I never have to count calories either.

It probably helps I don't; smoke (vape), partake in any drugs of any kind, or drink any alcohol and that I participate in a regular moderate workout plan.

Last edited:
There is much more to a healthy lifestyle than just calories in vs calories out. Sure, when you're looking to lose weight, it's a good approach, but there is plenty if imperial evidence that the quality of food, variaty etc. all play a very big role. There are plenty of "healthy looking" people with plethora of problems because they eat poor quality food, but since their calorie intake is controlled, they are not overweight.

So just a pile of excuses.

No just not been doing it in the past couple of weeks. I have chronic back pain and so when life stuff makes me busy I'm usually hurting a little extra and not up for the exercise. The weight loss still continues anyway, just slows a tad bit is all. No biggie.

Hmmm acetone.

It is a byproduct of ketone metabolism as opposed to glucose.

It tapers down as time goes off as your body adjusts the levels of ketones you need. It's why when you first become fat adapted you have really bad breath and the pounds drop off like mad and then it slows down to 0.5-2lbs a week for most. I'm lucky and have never dropped below the 2lbs a week except for some intermittent stalls which I now chalk up to hidden things in foods I was consuming not realizing it was creating an insulin response and pausing or knocking me out of Ketosis temporarily.

I have a blood meter now and keep tighter control. Strips are darn expensive though.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I have been intermittent fasting (IF) for a couple of years now. I am in the best shape of my life and half a century is within sight.

IF totally works to regulate your metabolism and keeps me feeling full of energy. IF makes it easy to eat only good foods. The advantage over all other 'diet strategies' is that it is 100% sustainable in the sense that one could intermittent fast indefinitely. It requires no special food combinations, calculations or restrictions to ostracize you from everyone else. Just eat good food in the 8 hour window. I never have to count calories either.

It probably helps I don't; smoke (vape), partake in any drugs of any kind, or drink any alcohol and that I participate in a regular moderate workout plan.

And not to mention it's wicked convenient for someone that works on the road all day and doesn't need to eat. And yes I usually fill myself on no-sugar / low sugar veggies, high quality moderate protein and an abundance of good fats during the meal time. I restrict myself to 2 hours and then wait 24 hours before eating again having only water/black-coffee.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
There is much more to a healthy lifestyle than just calories in vs calories out. Sure, when you're looking to lose weight, it's a good approach, but there is plenty if imperial evidence that the quality of food, variaty etc. all play a very big role. There are plenty of "healthy looking" people with plethora of problems because they eat poor quality food, but since their calorie intake is controlled, they are not overweight.

For sure, and I will introduce things like fruit back into my diet along with veggies not so low in natural sugars once the weight is all gone. For now I'm enjoying this hack because it's working so well and easy for me to maintain. I most likely will continue to intermittent fast all day long and eat only in a short window when I do return to a normal diet. I like the convenience of not feeling the need to eat and getting more done without getting a headache from not eating. I also like the food cost savings.
lol.gif

The ketogenic is not about a reduction in calories or some other hack-y shortcut to circumvent that inalienable law: It is about getting your body to switch from using glycogen to fat as its primary source of fuel.

It's also about steak. :^)

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

The ketogenic is not about a reduction in calories or some other hack-y shortcut to circumvent that inalienable law: It is about getting your body to switch from using glycogen to fat as its primary source of fuel.

It's also about steak. :^)

Yes correct and where most people are clueless on the diet.
As far as steak you mostly need the fat only.

ketosis is a part of the normal metabolism, on a typical intermittent hunter gatherer diet...when I was a kid, doctors would sniff babies nappies to see if they could smell acetone...if they did, the child was being undernourished.

It was never 100% metabolic pathway.

As to calories in and calories out...retrograde starches show that a simple combustion test isn't true for the human body. Gorillas eat pounds of leaves, but are actually living on short chain fatty acids produced by gut...

It's not as simple as a calorimetric energy balance.

I think it is wise to go through the range of metabolic processes frequently. I've read recetnly that constant feeding is actually bad, because your body never goes through the stages of flipping over to producing it's own energy rather than getting it from food. This points to fasting being good.

A balanced diet is always going to be the right answer. Start the day with Lucky Charms, skim milk and a Diet Coke. Lunch should be 2 slices of pizza, at least one with veggies and a Diet Coke. Dinner should include fried chicken mashed potatoes and Diet Coke. Along with a bit of rum or bourbon later on.

:0

Last edited:
Back