Havoline introduces boxed oil to Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
thumbsup2.gif

Hopefully all the manufacturers will be going this way -- reducing plastic is a good thing.

Ahhh, there's no plastic in that box?

I "second" the guy who said it's to reduce shipping costs and maximize shelf space.

Originally Posted by David2431
Ahhh, there's no plastic in that box?

I "second" the guy who said it's to reduce shipping costs and maximize shelf space.

The box says "70% less...", not "no plastics."

Originally Posted by BHopkins
I'd go for oil in a box. But I wonder how accurately one could tell how much oil is left in the bag. How do they replace the window with quart/liter scale on the side of the jug?

Could one of the motivators for retailers be cheaper shipping costs? It seems that the same amount of oil should pack in less space with the box versus the jugs.

It has a measurement window. Video shows how to use it, and how to recycle the used oil and box.

I'm guessing that the majority of companies will switch over to this within 5 years, just like they switched from paper cans to plastic quart cans 30-some years ago.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Seems like it would be awkward to use though.
Yes, and perhaps more leak-prone. To me, 5- (and 4-)quart bottles seem a lot more awkward to use than either 1-quart (or 1-liter) ones, or the old quart cans.

Stores will prefer the boxes because they're stackable---same reason Walmart went from loose bike tires to boxed foldable ones.

I really wonder how much this helps the waste/recycling issue. The typical plastic bottles should be 100% recyclable -yes/no? Now, there is cardboard and plastic. In my area, we have curb-side recycling and the pickup guys will sometimes reject the whole bin if there's anything questionable in there. I really suspect that bag with oil residue would be enough to trigger the whole bin from getting rejected so, I'd have to resort to hiding it in the bottom of the can.

If the economics and recycle-ability are improved from this then, great! -But, I'm not seeing how this helps the world.

Ray

Originally Posted by Kruse
I'm guessing that the majority of companies will switch over to this within 5 years, just like they switched from paper cans to plastic quart cans 30-some years ago.

I think so too. I recycled all old oil bottles. I see this as a problem with possible punctures and leaks, especially with people that like to stock pile oil. Then there's plastic and cardboard in the same package, they'll reject it here, so it ends up in trash, with residual oil in it. I wonder if that was a save the environment deal, or cheaper packaging for the oil companies, dressed up like a save the environment deal.

The recycling and storage will be fine. It also gets kudos for using 70% less plastics.

Yes but the 70% plastic goes into the recycle bin. The cardboard will have to be separated from the plastic for my recycling center and I don't think they will take the cardboard if there is even a hint of oil spilled on it. I don't know if they will take the plastic bag.

My wife buys wine in the box. The problem I have is she recently found if, when the box appears empty, she removes the bag from the box she can get a few more glasses of wine by "milking" the bag. As you can guess, I'm not a fan of the boxes.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Yes but the 70% plastic goes into the recycle bin. The cardboard will have to be separated from the plastic for my recycling center and I don't think they will take the cardboard if there is even a hint of oil spilled on it. I don't know if they will take the plastic bag.

My wife buys wine in the box. The problem I have is she recently found if, when the box appears empty, she removes the bag from the box she can get a few more glasses of wine by "milking" the bag. As you can guess, I'm not a fan of the boxes.

Here, on occasion, if they see the wine boxes they'll remove them from the recycle bin and leave them for us to toss in the trash.

Havoline = Good Oil. Box = Good Container? I don't want to have to milk the bag. There are recycling bins everywhere. Plus, I bring my used oil back to WM in the jugs from the last oil change like twoheeldrive said. I don't see how bringing a box of used oil back to the 'Mart is going to end well. The extra quart is so you can actually get 5 quarts to come out. No, my daddy doesn't own a plastic factory.

Last edited:
I guess the separation process varies. Here, everything goes into the same blue recycle bin. Cardboard, aluminum, glass and plastics.

IMPORTANT:

In WM today and there was nothing in a box except Quaker State Ultimate Durability which is a conventional, I think.

It's a 6 gallon box and a sales associate scanned it for me and said it was $154.

Do the math. $154 / 24 qt. = $6.42 / qt.

Sounds like a flim-flam to me. G&K

Here in SC our watches are set back 20 years. We actually have a recycling "center" where we can take our trash and recyclables. The separation is done by us (me). But the "center" police are there to make sure everything goes where it is supposed to and is "recyclable". Home trash pick up. What's that? But that's why I live here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back