WAWA E0 Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Wawa E0 fuel in my '01 Sport Trac for a few months now. I haven't done
any calculations but I have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage and engine performance.
Wawa probably isn't a top tier gas, but should I switch fuels or use a good fuel additive?

But, but... What about greenhouse gas emissions? What about the corn industry? What about those poor folks at the EPA that want clean air, water, and minds? HMMMM?
You rebel you!
P.S. Keep it up, IMO, ethanol has no place in fuel, unless it's headed down the drag strip squeezed under about 40 pounds of boost.

Is that an E0 pump specifically? Or is it just E0 in your area?

Kind of surprised to hear about a Wawa in Florida.

They have E0 together with Regular and Premium. I guess the tanks are separate. There's 2 I've seen in the South FL area, especially southern Broward County.

Wawa in Florida has E0 specific pumps, about 4 per gas station, 89 octane, for recreational vehicles (boats) I suppose. I've been running it in my motorcycles and small engines.

Up here its almost $2 gallon more than 87 with 10% ethanol. The local Sunoco station says he sells more of E0 than he does diesel. It has gained popularity with folks using it their equipment and tools.

Got a WAWA being built here in Ocala right on my way to work. I hope they carry the E0. We have a few stations here in Central Fl that carry E0 but darn its high! usually $.75 or more than regular E10.

Some years ago when everyone was throwing a fit about E10 fuel, I decided to test out the differences between E0 and E10. I did it to prove a point to my brother that E10 was a weaker fuel than E0, and I tried like crazy to get that result.

Test car was my '92 Mustang with a 347ci SBF, AOD transmission, and 9" rear end. I tried 93 octane E10 and 93 octane E0.

On the dyno, making multiple pulls to tune the car on each fuel, it made a hair more power (+2 hp, +4 tq average) with E10. This was with both tuned to 12.5 air/fuel ratio and 36 degrees peak spark advance. Coolant temperature, oil temperature, and transmission temperature were all kept constant.

At the track, I noticed the same thing. The E10 fuel was slightly quicker.

I wanted to prove the fuel economy theory so I tested both fuels on a drive of 250 miles down I-20. The tunes for both fuels were at 15.0 air/fuel ratio at part-throttle cruise with spark advance at 40-42 degrees. Similar weather conditions, steady at 65 mph down the same 250 miles, the 93 octane E0 netted 2.7% better fuel economy. However, it cost me 11% more at the pump so that was still a net loss in my book.

I also took two old carburetors I had sitting around, filled the bowls in one with E0 and the other with E10, and let them both sit for 6 months. I didn't observe any sort of gunking or other buildup in either one.

From that point on, I just put the cheapest E10 93 in the tank I could find and drove on.

E-0 is surely better, i lost 4mpg with my bike, was averaging 60 + went to mod 50's!!! i use E-0 91 oct in all my carb'd equipment, bikes + car + truck are FI + tolerate 10% corn peee that out taxes subsidize!!! corn mostly GMO is not fit to eat if your smart, so gotta do something with it!!!

I never noticed a performance hit but mpg yes. My old 99 LeSabre was bad (2/3 mpg loss) but the Lucerne not so much, maybe 1 mpg. I've taken a bigger hit with winter fuel.

Originally Posted by racer12306
Is that an E0 pump specifically? Or is it just E0 in your area?

Kind of surprised to hear about a Wawa in Florida.

You can't throw a rock without hitting a Wawa in Central FL. They have 89 octane E0.

Originally Posted by doolah02
Been using Wawa E0 fuel in my '01 Sport Trac for a few months now. I haven't done
any calculations but I have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage and engine performance.
Wawa probably isn't a top tier gas, but should I switch fuels or use a good fuel additive?

If you don't mind the price I'd keep running it. Maybe use some Techron every 10K if you're worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back