Mazda 3 vs Toyota Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter hit a huge raccoon in her 2007 Mazda 3 and the car may be a write-off. She is looking at replacing it with either a 2011 Mazda 3 hatch or a 2010 Toyota Matrix. The price and mileage are similar for both. Any advise one way or the other?

I think that both are really good cars - I'd buy either without hesitation. By 2011 I believe Mazda had resolved its rust issues, which would be a factor for her in southern Ontario.

I would guess that the Toyota would have better resale a few years down the road, and that the Mazda would be more fun to drive.

The only bad thing I've heard about the Matrix is that the odometer stops registering at 299,999 km, and has to be replaced if you want to track your mileage thereafter.

I also think either one will be a good choice. It will come down to the individual car itself as far what she wants.

This must have been one giant raccoon or there is more to the story. I say this knowing someone who tore a car in half by hitting a mailbox.

Between those two, the Matrix

Originally Posted by Number_35
The only bad thing I've heard about the Matrix is that the odometer stops registering at 299,999 km, and has to be replaced if you want to track your mileage thereafter.

This only happens on 2003-2008 models.

The 09+ Matrix is not affected by this
smile.gif

Have some father/daughter time and go check out the vehicles if they are local. Have her test drive them, she what she likes better and have you check out the condition of each one. Try to see which one has been taken better care of. Rust, fluids, weird noises test driving, etc. Hopefully you both have the same conclusion. If not, just let her know your thoughts and if it's her money, she gets the final say. Sorry I sounding so preachy, my daughter is only 2 and can't wait to have her learn some things (I think) I know.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Mazda unfortunately tends to make cars that rot especially where road salt used. Avoid.

That was years ago. They use the same processes for corrosion prevention that everyone else does.

Particularly if u get the Mazda, go to Krown yearly (or more). See attached. Jury's out re whether the latest ones are tougher in that regard. (I think the snip is from Stevie C.)

Screenshot_2018-09-18-07-53-41.png

Last edited:
The Matrix will have absolutely horrible electric power steering that the corolla got in 2009 (at least I think so). Generally I find Toyota's more durable than Mazda's but that EPS may make driving it insufferable ...•.

Last edited:
Mazda will be more fun to drive, but also less comfortable.
Matrix will be a better highway cruiser or daily commuter in terms of comfort, but will not give better lap times than Mazda will.

P.S. If I got a Mazda3 - I would get the one with 2.5L engine. Pretty peppy and still fuel efficient. Someone I know has a Mazda3 with 2.5L and a manual transmission. 35+ MPG is very common on the highway for that person. He does keep it below 65MPH to get that mileage though. At 70MPH+ he gets 28-32mpg.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
The Matrix will have absolutely horrible electric power steering that the corolla got in 2009 (at least I think so). Generally I find Toyota's more durable than Mazda's but that EPS may make driving it insufferable ...•.

My parents used to have a 09 corolla with electric power steering, that was the worst car I have ever driven because of that reason. Steering was so light, felt like the steering wheel wasn't connected to anything, it made a horrible driving experience.

All I can say is that I've had no major issues with my 06 so far. Burns no oil and the tranny shifts very well. I had a Corolla as a rental for few weeks back in 06 when I was car shopping and I didn't like driving it. It was numb feeling, the horrible throttle tip-in made the engine look peppy for the first 30% of gas pedal travel, but after that there was absolutely nothing. From all I hear the next gen Corolla/Matrix, which starts from 09 I think, made the driving dynamic even worse.

In regards to Mazda 3 and rust, yes it is a concern and I would not rely on Mazda "fixing it" mantra. I saw that same logic used when Mazda 3 was first introduced after the Protege made their reputation on being very rust prone. We all know how these first gen Mazda 3s hold up in regards to rust.
If you get a used one, make sure to inspect it all around and underneath for signs of rust and of course start Krowning it annually.

I bought my 2007 MS3 new and drove it for 8 years and 158k miles. I only flipped it because I was one and done with FWD. It was a great car.

Originally Posted by pda1122
Have some father/daughter time and go check out the vehicles if they are local. Have her test drive them, she what she likes better and have you check out the condition of each one. Try to see which one has been taken better care of. Rust, fluids, weird noises test driving, etc. Hopefully you both have the same conclusion. If not, just let her know your thoughts and if it's her money, she gets the final say. Sorry I sounding so preachy, my daughter is only 2 and can't wait to have her learn some things (I think) I know.

This is good advice. We have looked online for a few hours together and test driving is the next step. She is 30 years old and working full time so it is nice to spend any time with her. I especially will like spending her money for a change!
She said the raccoon looked like a small bear. The front bumper, engine shield, rad, etc. were all toast.
Thanks to all who have replied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
All I can say is that I've had no major issues with my 06 so far. Burns no oil and the tranny shifts very well. I had a Corolla as a rental for few weeks back in 06 when I was car shopping and I didn't like driving it. It was numb feeling, the horrible throttle tip-in made the engine look peppy for the first 30% of gas pedal travel, but after that there was absolutely nothing...

I went out of my way to buy my daughter a Corolla LE, in the range of 2003 to 2008 (I bought her an '05). Wanted ABS, but did not want the pretentious "Sport" drippings on the body (sorry to offend anyone with this comment :| ) - that's why it had to be an LE. She has had it for five (5) years and both of us really, really like it to this day. I find the steering great (hydraulic PS); it does not have hydraulic valve compensation (just mechanical buckets - which are replaceable if necessary, albeit with much, much trouble) - but they rarely change valve clearance as they age. I like mechanical lifters 'cuz there is no possibility of a hydraulic lifter failure.... tick, tick, tick... Just a fantastic car for her (and it's in many ways better than what I drive).

I do find the electronic throttle ('05's were the first year of non-mechanical throttle) a bit sensitive... to feel like it's "torquey" off the line, yes, and I do find the engine fairly lacklustre by way of power as it revs up...and it most certainly has four cylinder "boom" / resonance. But no balance shaft assembly to go south.

The Toyota automatic in it - is by all accounts - bulletproof.

Wish I could buy a new one!

Last edited:
Matrix is what the US calls a Corolla hatchback, yes? If so, either vehicle is a good bet. I'd pick the one with the best safety feautures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back