2017 Toyota Tacoma, Motul Eco-Lite 0w-20, 8k/36k

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Sample dated 8/25 is from my 2017 Tacoma, TRD OR, v6 w/6 speed manual. Motul Eco-Lite, 0w-20. ~8k miles on this sample and ~36k total on the truck
- Sample dated 3/25 is a VOA of the exact same oil to see the before and after
- Earlier samples were from GTMO, 0w-20
- I've used factory filter and assume dealer changes with the TGMO were the same

This cycle was probably the hardest I've driven the truck, no towing or off-roading, but lots of highway, stop & go, and a/c on full blast most of the time.
I'm not exactly sure how to read it, my goal was to see how the Motul compared to TGMO. I already changed the oil with the last bit of Motul I had on hand, so I'm open to what goes in next. What do you think?

no data UOA Motul Eco-Lite 0w20 7968mi on - 36418 mi tacoma v6.jpg

Fuel dilution. Is this a direct injection engine? Was the oil in service duting below freezing ambient temperatures?

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Fuel dilution. Is this a direct injection engine?..

Yes, kind of... 3rd Gen Tacomas (>2016) 3.5L v6 transitions between DI and port FI depending on cycle or load or some kind of crazy algorithm. The only thing I dislike doubt the truck (Other than ~20mpg) is the less than smooth acceleration from ~1.9k to 2.9k RPMs. Once at ~3.5 RPMs it sings... Everyone blames it on this new DI/PI set up (That was done supposedly for MPG and emissions).

I do 6-10 1 Hour highway trips a week and hoped that would negate the city and short trip fuel dilution I assume the DI causes but not sure.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Was the oil in service duting below freezing ambient temperatures?

No, this was ~Apr-Aug in Virginia so mix of mild to uncomfortable hot and humid temps. But FWIW traffic in NOVA sucks. At any time 50 miles can be done in 45 minutes or a short 10 mile trip can take 30 minutes

I have a 14 Toyota Venza V6 port injection and only get a 390-380F flash point during Dec-Apr winters on the east coast. In the summer, May-Sep my FPs are 420-410F range. My daily commute is 80% highway and 20% city. Minor but u can almost predict a DI based engine based on flash point uoa.

I always do an oc @end Dec and an oc @start of Apr to minimize carrying fuel dilution oil into the summer months. My historic Blackstone lab data consistently support fuel dilution since spring of 2015.

Last edited:
Motul doesn't bother with boron or moly compounds like others use. They're probably using organic friction modifiers and forms of esters help with boundary lubrication in a thin oil like this. Notice the latest version of TGMO 0w20 uses gobs of moly these days for plenty of friction reduction, even at lower activation temperatures.
Sodium is big in Motul, so it shouldn't be used on DI+turbo engines (LSPI possible).

I would stick with the Toyota 0W-20 and OEM filter. During the warranty period if it were my truck I would also let the dealer service department change it though, so they know who you are. In case there is some other problem with the car unrelated to oil/engine, you have a human relationship with the service dept. On my Corolla that I bought 2nd hand, original owner bought it there, I had the dealer find both a leaky oil pan gasket that was not dripping on the driveway, and a weeping belt tensioner during the 25 point inspection or whatever the oil does during the Toyota oil change. Both were fixed under warranty on Toyota's dime. They wrote it up as a new oil pan and changed that out too.

I am all for doing your own maintenance when the warranty is over though.

Last edited:
Do you recall if the TGMO that you used was the 2017© bottles? I would think they were since the 2015© bottles contained much higher molybdenum (700+). They've really reduced the moly for whatever reason.

I understand why Toyota Tacoma's hold their value insanely well. Every Tacoma report regardless of the year or engine have exemplary used oil analysis reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back