moog inner tie rod worn out in 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I slammed on my brakes a few weeks back with a trailer behind me halfway into a u turn to avoid hitting a lady talking on the phone not realizing I was making a u turn. Anyways, since then it's had a pull to the right. Took it in to get an alignment from a shop that I had replace all upper lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends a couple years ago. They didn't tell me what the mileage was, I forgot to ask, but I doubt it's anymore than 30-35,000 miles. I mean really? They used moog parts. I think I had all the work done for about $900 bucks back then, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have spent more money on more expensive components like Carlisle suspension.

This truck sure is starting to need a lot of maintenance now it seems. Just minor stuff here and there though I guess.

Moog, or Moog Problem Solver? I only use the Problem Solver line of parts.

30k-35k with regular replacement parts on a city driven trailer towing pickup sounds about right to me to possibly need a tie rod. It's not like this thing is a highway queen packing on those miles.

You sure they're bad and not just marginal? Moog also goes bad, but normally they last a bit longer before going bad than regular parts. They should have a lifetime warranty though so you should only be out the labor. Unless they're fine and they're just trying to do an upsell.

Moog like almost everyone else has "value line" (China) parts and "good" parts. The Problem solver line as mentioned above is the good stuff. If your inner tie rod end has a belleville type spring in it (a lot do) a sudden shock (like your turn/brake event) can sometimes cause this spring to snap and then the joint loses most of its pre-load and will become sloppy. Unless you are using absolute garbage for grease, or are extending the greasing intervals waaay far out, I doubt the joint actually "wore out". Even the crap China ones should last 50k....but Dodge front ends are kinda tough on stuff, esp if it's a 4x4.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Moog, or Moog Problem Solver? I only use the Problem Solver line of parts.

30k-35k with regular replacement parts on a city driven trailer towing pickup sounds about right to me to possibly need a tie rod. It's not like this thing is a highway queen packing on those miles.
I've read on here that even the Problem Solver line has caught a case of the chineseium. Deeza and Moog Problem Solver used to be the bee's knees around here but Deeza must have not been pious enough for modern day Turkey and seemingly disappeared. Moog Problem Solver has offshored at least some of their products. I think some of them are still OK, but I've seen PS boxes with China as the COO and people complaining that they are not as durable as their name would suggest.

I bought a Deeza tie rod end back in the day for my old Golf and it was a reboxed Lemforder!

It would seem that if you can trust a brand name for quality, it's only a matter of time before they cannibalize that reputation for shareholder returns.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
So I slammed on my brakes a few weeks back with a trailer behind me halfway into a u turn to avoid hitting a lady talking on the phone not realizing I was making a u turn. Anyways, since then it's had a pull to the right. Took it in to get an alignment from a shop that I had replace all upper lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends a couple years ago. They didn't tell me what the mileage was, I forgot to ask, but I doubt it's anymore than 30-35,000 miles. I mean really? They used moog parts. I think I had all the work done for about $900 bucks back then, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have spent more money on more expensive components like Carlisle suspension.

So the one inner tie rod was the only newly bad part after 2 years?

I wonder if it was lubricated properly, either factory or the zerk fitting went unserviced on installation.

But yes, when I buy Moog I only buy Problem Solver.

I've greased everything 2 or 3 times myself. Although they did give them to me empty and I had them add some grease a couple days later.

Got the Moog Problem Solver on mine when they did the stabilizer bar links on my Gen 1 Tundra. They have grease fittings on them too.

Moog is Chinese and Moog Problem Solver (Moog PS) may or may not. I just replaced the Pitman and Idler arms on our 1993 Toyota pickup with Moog PS and they both were made in Japan. Even had instructions written in English and Japanese.

In the instructions Moog always says to lubricate every 3000 miles because of the metal gusher bearings. We use a lot of Moog parts at work and the non R line of products are mostly made in US or Mexico with some Japan stuff is re-boxed 555 brand of parts that are very good. most of the china parts I have seen are the moog labeled bearings which used to be labeled bca but they sold the name. I have seen some MOOG bushings for control arms for hondas that were from india. Most of the US made socketed products as they call them are made in Boaz Al.

Last edited:
This truck uses a Rack & Pinion, The Inner Tie Rod is not greaseable no matter the brand used. Moog does send some grease to lube the joint before installation though I'm not sure how much good it does??

This is more of a Dodge/Chrysler problem.....Using such a light duty set-up on a 2500/3500 pick-up with a 1000 pound engine overhanging the front suspension 2 feet.

On the inner rack joints as you pointed out they give you a packet when installing and I always try to coat it as much as possible by moving it all around. Not to be mean a lot of mechanics I have even worked with don't grease anything even if it has fittings so was this joint lubed during the install?? who knows. I would hope that a chassis part would last more than 30,000 miles for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back