diesel engine on used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i buy an oil diesel truck can i put in the contents of the used oil tank from the auto parts store? i'd want to do some sort of simple filtration...

Last edited:
Sorta. If you can guarantee that there is no water or dirt in it. It will run once warmed up. Likely won't start on a cold morning.

You want an older IDI diesel for this. Not a newer one.

Can you? Yes. You could also add it to your escape. However it will need more than some simple cleaning to make it suitable for burning especially if you are talking about part store oil bin that gets everything from brake fluid to coolant infested oil brake clean gear oil engine oil transmission fluid and just about everything else you can think of. When I used to work in a salvage yard we had a used oil burner that was much less complicated than a direct injected diesel engine and we had issues with oil from parts stores not being good enough to burn even in the heater. I would think at a bare minimum a filtration Bank a centrifical purifier and a finishing Bank of filters would be required. Settling the oil out prior to the first filtration with heat and time would also be beneficial you could not just simply run it through a fuel filter and pump it in the tank if that's what you were thinking. I suppose you could but you could kiss your fuel injectors goodbye in short order.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Can you? Yes. You could also add it to your escape. However it will need more than some simple cleaning to make it suitable for burning especially if you are talking about part store oil bin that gets everything from brake fluid to coolant infested oil brake clean gear oil engine oil transmission fluid and just about everything else you can think of. When I used to work in a salvage yard we had a used oil burner that was much less complicated than a direct injected diesel engine and we had issues with oil from parts stores not being good enough to burn even in the heater. I would think at a bare minimum a filtration Bank a centrifical purifier and a finishing Bank of filters would be required. Settling the oil out prior to the first filtration with heat and time would also be beneficial you could not just simply run it through a fuel filter and pump it in the tank if that's what you were thinking. I suppose you could but you could kiss your fuel injectors goodbye in short order.

hmm, ok, what about new oil? people give me oil all the time, half a quart here, half a quart there, some new unopened quarts, or leaky 5qt jugs... i have over 10 gallons of brand new oil. will that work? instead of collecting it in a container i can just add it to the fuel tank of a diesel truck?

and it would probably be an older gm 6.2 or 6.5 nothing modern.

how much would i wanna add to the tank? like a gallon per tank? or could i add more?

Last edited:
Like said above, you could run used oil of many types, but its really a very very bad idea. Trust me, you don't want to run contamination thru your injectors no matter what type of diesel you decide to run it thru.

I have followed others on diesel forums as they ran used motor oil, transmission fluid, thru their motors. They ALL ended up replacing injectors at the least, some knew they were going to rebuild the motor, so they tried it to see how far they would get till the motor gave up the ghost. They all gave the ghost and it didn't take years. The longest daily driver I recall didn't make 9 months.

New oil of any type in a GM 6.2/6.5, Navistar/Powerstroke 7.3, motor oil, transmission fluid, any kind of cooking oil, or you could make Bio diesel out of used cooking oil also.

50%/50% will burn fine Diesel/motor oil, Diesel/transmission fluid, but it will smoke like a coal freight train without even hammering the throttle. 50/50 is really too much for California, you will have problems, people will be calling in your plate # all day long, especially where your located= lots of tree huggers!

Try 10/15/20% and see how bad it smokes, it won't hurt a thing on any of those motors I listed!

The older the diesel, the lower the injection pressures, and the more success you'll have.

IDI engines = 50% seems OK
Direct (DI) = no more than 10% ever

Auto/truck Motor oil IS NOT ASHLESS!!!!! Ashless oils can be run as a diesel fuel.... non-ashless oils will eventually cause you problems in time, always.

I always dump a 1-quart bottle of used auto oil per 15-20 gallons in my older Cummins (VE pump) to help lubricate it a little.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The older the diesel, the lower the injection pressures, and the more success you'll have.

IDI engines = 50% seems OK
Direct (DI) = no more than 10% ever

Auto/truck Motor oil IS NOT ASHLESS!!!!! Ashless oils can be run as a diesel fuel.... non-ashless oils will eventually cause you problems in time, always.

I always dump a 1-quart bottle of used auto oil per 15-20 gallons in my older Cummins (VE pump) to help lubricate it a little.

What kind of problems exactly are not ashless oils going to have?

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

hmm, ok, what about new oil? people give me oil all the time, half a quart here, half a quart there, some new unopened quarts, or leaky 5qt jugs... i have over 10 gallons of brand new oil. will that work? instead of collecting it in a container i can just add it to the fuel tank of a diesel truck?

and it would probably be an older gm 6.2 or 6.5 nothing modern.

how much would i wanna add to the tank? like a gallon per tank? or could i add more?

I've done it, no more than a gallon per tank of used or new motor oil(ONLY oil I actually drained out of something else, and not synthetic, which doesn't really burn much). Any more, and that old familiar blue haze starts appearing, along with a loss of power and even a little misfiring. It is a good way to get rid of some extra unwanted thin grade oil, in summer, don't think I would risk it in winter. I've done it with conventional ATF as well.

synthetic doesn't burn ?

Well I've learned something new today...and the GTL diesel that's being made at remote wells, and the synfuels of the Germans sort of had me convinced otherwise.
My old Nisaan got about a pint of used oil (mostly synthetic) in most tanks, and seemed not to suffer.

(No DPF or common rail)...the fuel filter flow path was such that you could see that the larger soot got dragged out of it.

Re Chris142's comments on fryer oil...lots of people have done it. A family that took a trip around Oz in a double decker bus, cleaning (properly) the friers in the towns that they visited were my heros...quite a few people have had their engine oil turn to plastic (know how they made linoleum back in the day ???)

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Like said above, you could run used oil of many types, but its really a very very bad idea. Trust me, you don't want to run contamination thru your injectors no matter what type of diesel you decide to run it thru.

I have followed others on diesel forums as they ran used motor oil, transmission fluid, thru their motors. They ALL ended up replacing injectors at the least, some knew they were going to rebuild the motor, so they tried it to see how far they would get till the motor gave up the ghost. They all gave the ghost and it didn't take years. The longest daily driver I recall didn't make 9 months.

New oil of any type in a GM 6.2/6.5, Navistar/Powerstroke 7.3, motor oil, transmission fluid, any kind of cooking oil, or you could make Bio diesel out of used cooking oil also.

50%/50% will burn fine Diesel/motor oil, Diesel/transmission fluid, but it will smoke like a coal freight train without even hammering the throttle. 50/50 is really too much for California, you will have problems, people will be calling in your plate # all day long, especially where your located= lots of tree huggers!

Try 10/15/20% and see how bad it smokes, it won't hurt a thing on any of those motors I listed!

What about diesel smoke pouring over children walking to school, is that "tree hugging" to report a inconsiderate driver doing that? Is there some kind of enjoyment in putting fumes in other people's lungs? Or is it all labelled "tree hugging" to object?

10 gallons... so $40-ish dollars of diesel. Why bother, dispose of properly if you have no use for it as motor oil. I wouldn't even dump it into IDI unless absolutely necessary. Running on fry grease is not the same and has it own issues (filtration, heating of "fuel", performance, deposits, etc..).

I dunno if you can get bulk kerosene in the US, but IIRC if you add 10-20% of oil to that its supposed to burn OK.

I bought a 40 quid diesel Maestro shortly before leaving for Taiwan with the intention of trying it, not realising that The Man had banned bulk kerosene sales a few months previously. The pumps still existed but they didn't deliver.

Ducked, the guys down here just cut it (and WVO) with a smaller amount of unleaded rather than expensive kerosene.

Well, the kero was VED free so less than half the cost of diesel, but it was pink enough to get you into trouble. Never thought of cutting it with petrol, but I didn't have a WVO source so it wouldn't have worked for me. Brother scrapped that car years ago anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back