Washing Microfiber Cloths

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I had about 200 of them and I mostly use oil and grease and moly paste.
Not tons of residue but dirty and they came out great. Some like new and the worst still pretty decent. Great for what I do. Simple wash for 4 minute cycle and dry.

Why microfiber towels? They are too nice for that, but I only have a dozen used for detailing. Disposable paper towels for stuff like oil or grease.
I just prefer them and I do put a bunch of pressure on them and I also deal with a bunch of really sharp parts.
Yes they are nice but I do get long life out of them etc.

^^Exactly. I'll wash something "petroleum nasty" in a bucket and use a stick as an agitator if need be.

I pick up work gloves from the street. It's funny how often I find them. I give 'em a bucket wash and dry 'em in the Sun.
Then, when I commandeer someone into helping me I give them washed gloves to work with.
I'm so nice.

I’ve had good luck with Griots Microfiber/Pad Cleaner for cloths used for car & wax. The greasy/oily ones get pitched.

^^Exactly. I'll wash something "petroleum nasty" in a bucket and use a stick as an agitator if need be.

I pick up work gloves from the street. It's funny how often I find them. I give 'em a bucket wash and dry 'em in the Sun.
Then, when I commandeer someone into helping me I give them washed gloves to work with.
I'm so nice.
Neat..I drive right over them.

Actually, I've let them sit...because who wants to be seen picking up trash from the streets, right?
But they only get run over by people like you (ha-ha) and nobody gets nothin'.
Heck, I'm walking the dog already and am picking up used dog food, so WTH?

Actually, I've let them sit...because who wants to be seen picking up trash from the streets, right?
But they only get run over by people like you (ha-ha) and nobody gets nothin'.
Heck, I'm walking the dog already and am picking up used dog food, so WTH?
I see a ton of them too
Usually near my mailbox

I made the mistake of washing some shop rags in the washer one time. They weren't heavily soiled, but man oh man did I do a number on our washer. I had to run load after load filled with old jeans until it stopped smelling like old grease.

🐕🏚️
I was going to say. No way I’d put greasy and oily rags in my personal washing machine. At best it will leave residue. At worst, it will leave carcinogenic residues in your underpants that contact your skin for hours at a time.

Disposable rags are the way to go for the biggest messes. Maybe there’s a good way to bucket wash or pre-wash rags. I’d love to save $$ too over consuming disposables. But I have t seen it.

I was going to say. No way I’d put greasy and oily rags in my personal washing machine. At best it will leave residue. At worst, it will leave carcinogenic residues in your underpants that contact your skin for hours at a time.

Disposable rags are the way to go for the biggest messes. Maybe there’s a good way to bucket wash or pre-wash rags. I’d love to save $$ too over consuming disposables. But I have t seen it.
What has been read cannot be un-read!

I have a lot of good ones. Not Amazon junk. I have them washed in a washing machine. I give them to my daughter to wash who is on city sewer. I don't want all the oil, grease, silicone and ceramic waxes getting into my septic and drain field.

All my MF's come out nice and soft, use plain Tide on heavy wash cycle and double rinse, medium dry. ;)

I clean these at a sustained 140 which is the max safe temp the fabric can take - owning a miele washer makes this a very precise easy endeavor.
If they were super greasy I'll follow with a 170 blast to clean the machine.

I dont wash or dry them with cotton, and I air dry them prob 95% of the time.

I'll still separate them as cleaning rags or detailing worthy.

Last edited:
I made the mistake of washing some shop rags in the washer one time. They weren't heavily soiled, but man oh man did I do a number on our washer. I had to run load after load filled with old jeans until it stopped smelling like old grease.

🐕🏚️
All my clothes smell like that anyway.

Back