04 Accord auto trans 180k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wagon wheel, will do. I wonder if you being the original owner of your 03 Accord might play a big role in the great reliability results you have experienced!! Properly maintained cars seem to be so much more reliable....

Below is a picture of the northern big city urban driven 2005 Camry XLE with 100,000 miles that they are asking 5k for, but I sense they will sell for 4k. I passed on this one as the engine bay showed a lot of corrosion, and I sense the underneath of the car is very corroded, although only 100k miles.

I am seeing a lot of Gen 8 Accords with 150k-175k miles priced around 6500, well above my budget but interesting price point.

camry bay.jpg

Honestly I think it's more luck. Preventive maintenance is not much on the Gen7 4 cyl and there's no timing belt to change. I did all the oil changes close to the "severe" schedule and still have oil consumption (PCV valve was replaced too but no effect). For me $2.50/qt for SuperTech top off oil isn't braking the bank, but you do need to check the oil frequently.

Have you looked at other options, such as having your son rent a car for the long haul trips back home? Might be more cost effective over the long run than having to budget $$ on repairs. Every situation is different.

BTW, about half the time on my Accord was when I lived up in Chicago. I had the underbody rust proofing applied when I bought it but the factory rustproofing greatly improved in the early 2000s. No major rust issues but the catalytic convertor lower heat shield did dislodge itself while I was driving on the freeway in CA. Looked like a piece of space junk by the time I yanked it off!

Accords and Camrys are high quality cars and everyone knows it. So you have pay too much in the used market to get one. Know a guy who's 04 Accord was odometer rolled back to make it look like the best deal at the time. It still works fine even though it has a TON of miles on it. His trans does make some rattle noise in drive and we are expecting it to die soon, but he keeps driving.

Originally Posted by GON
Wagon wheel, will do. I wonder if you being the original owner of your 03 Accord might play a big role in the great reliability results you have experienced!! Properly maintained cars seem to be so much more reliable....

Below is a picture of the northern big city urban driven 2005 Camry XLE with 100,000 miles that they are asking 5k for, but I sense they will sell for 4k. I passed on this one as the engine bay showed a lot of corrosion, and I sense the underneath of the car is very corroded, although only 100k miles.

I am seeing a lot of Gen 8 Accords with 150k-175k miles priced around 6500, well above my budget but interesting price point.

Ouch! I expect to see a pristine engine bay when I buy a car.

Originally Posted by GON
I took the Vibe/ Matric out of the search after identifying that they have a huge blind sport, and the 4 cylinder often go through a quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

An 03-08 Vibe/Matrix is the first gen and I've never noticed a blind spot with the 05 that I have. It also has the 1.8 liter engine that doesn't consume oil like the second gen 2.4 engine. Might be worth a second look. Pretty durable car with a lot of space inside. I think the 09+ second gen has the blind spot. So maybe look for an 07-08 Matrix/Vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back