HELP something went down my dipstick hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a leaf blower or some sort of air source that you can use to see if that tube fell somehwere in the engine bay. That's after you cover up the dipstick tube with the dipstick.

I would start there first. The inspection camera is a good idea as well.

Originally Posted by BlakeB
There has to be some kind of pickup screen I would think. As long as the fluid doesn't get hot enough to melt the tube, I'm not sure it'll hurt anything. I mean Ford uses those plastic stoppers in assembly, they just push them into the pan and leave them. I'm not sure why this would be any different?

If it was stopped by a screen at the bottom, the plastic should still be at the bottom and should be retrievable if I can figure out how to get the pickup tube off.

I dont have an inspection cam. The car can sit for days (its parked behind two other broken cars that don't need to get out and can sit themselves, but I didn't mean for it to block them in forever - and it prevents me putting this car in the garage to stay for the winter or be worked on later) for me to order one from amazon (suggestions?) but probably not weeks and if the snow flies there will be sweet FA i can do about it then. I'd need an inspection cam with a pretty tiny hole, smaller than spark plug holes, the dipstick is pretty small... it's also got to be pretty long since it's at least, what, 8-10 inches down probably.

For that matter assuming every inspection cam has a light I could probably look under the battery tray and other things I can't quite figure out how to get out of there offhand and look more for the missing part.

I'm _90%_ sure it went right down the oil dipstick, didnt fall off somewhere else. The tape was pretty crappy tape and the trans fluid seems to have turned the old adhesive into something slick, as I found, when I felt the tape still on the end of my funnel.

I'm pretty darn sure it didn't fall anywhere - i've been looking for hours and had a neighbor look too with a flashlight, neither of us can see any tube. The trans fluid weakened the tape connection and made it slide off inside, i'm pretty sure, and if it had fallen off there's not unlimited places it could have fallen - right next to the dipstick tube is it. I've looked on top of the trans and under the car (its on cement at least) and along the frame rail and everything. When I start dissassembling.. umm... what do I even have to disassemble to get to where I can pull the dipstick fill tube out? I'll be able to see other places it might've fallen I assume.

Originally Posted by Jim_Truett

This is the 4 speed, but the 5 speed is similar. The dipstick goes in the center transmission case where all of the clutches and gears reside.

Is there any kind of screen at the end of that dipstick or did it just fall down between everything hopelessly in all likelihood?

Is there any chance it would fall ALL the way thru right down to the pan or something? By the look of it if it's not still in the tube, or fallen to the pan, it looks like it would go right into some gears ready to grind to poo destroying it the moment anything moves depending which way the gears rotate. And i'm sure there's no way to pull a trans apart while it's still inside the vehicle, or knock something atop those gears down or anything like that...

I mean if for some reason it's fallen thru, is a 3 inch segment of PVC pipe likely to just roll off something and fall to the pan or more likely to get stuck between a gear killing it instantly?

I have no idea what the right answer is - i've already screwed myself and the vehicle cant move and i'ts probably a loss - but i'm trying to avoid doing 'known bad' things and try to figure out what order to try stuff in. Maybe starting with an inspection camera if a usable one can be gotten for not too much.

Last edited:
When I say screen, I mean strainer as in transmission filter. I'm saying that assuming the dipstick dumps into the bottom of the transmission I don't think the piece of pvc is going to hurt anything.

If it's a rigid piece, it may still be in the dipstick tube at the bottom. If the dipstick tube goes into the "pan" near the bottom it may not have room to turn enough to fall out of the dipstick tube.
I'm just guessing here, I'm not familiar with that car or transmission.

I want to start this post by saying that I am giving this advice strictly to help a desperate person trying to continue to live a productive life. Not because I'm advocating dishonest practice.

OK. Have you considered just picking up an inspection camera from HD, HF, or any other place with a good return policy? Ryobi has a nice one that can slide into a spark plug holes without hitting the sides (5mm). HD carries Ryobi tools and accessories. I bought mine from HD (but I kept mine) and it has bright LED lights in the head.

Go on their website and locate one in stock, pick that thing up, and return it if you can't afford to keep it.

Well i'm not picking up anything when I dont have a car, i'm stuck with amazon mail order right now.

To BlakeB - thats kind of what i'm wondering too, is the trans stick lined up in such a way that dropping the trans pan would be where it ends up? for that matter how do I even drop the transmission pan while it's in the car or is this a nightmare requiring me to pull the whole subframe or/and other things beyond what I can realistically do?

I can play some credit card games buying tools I later return - inspection cameras or other things - because they will probably cost less than trying to come up with other alternatives like this car being immobile and broken and not moving again. The biggest question is... what is at the bottom of that dipstick, and will the piece of plastic just go between the gears which would destroy them instantly, or fall harmlessly into the bottom of a pan? I'd like to think an engineer would create something that doesn't die from a foreign object down the trans dipstick hole - then again maybe thats exactly what they'd engineer knowing it means more profit and a new transmission to scroo do it yourselfers.

I'll wait for someone to hopefully post who has more knowledge pulling one of these 5 speeds apart to chime in. Meanwhile i'm open to suggestions about inspection cameras - i'm not sure if 5mm is narrow enough to fit in the hole, i dont have a ruler handy, but it's... pretty tight in that hole.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I'm sure I'm going to catch [censored] for this but...

I'd probably not worry about it.

^^ You beat me to it, but I'm thinking the same. As far as I can tell, we aren't even positive that it's in there anyways.

I have to third this one. I'd just get in it and drive it.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

^^ You beat me to it, but I'm thinking the same. As far as I can tell, we aren't even positive that it's in there anyways.

There is a foreign object inside the transmission. >_< How can this possibly end in a good outcome just driving it? Looking at the picture of the gears in the transmission it either goes between metal gears, and i'm pretty sure thick plastic, even though it's just plastic, will either damage or crack it instantly due to close tolerances... or jerk so hard it damages other things when the gears lock solid because they are attached to something causing a random breakage slightly later... or it melts and gets into the fluid and gums stuff up, probably in a way that's not self cleaning.

Would you shove a piece of plastic between the chains and gearset of a timing belt? How is this any better? I can't believe these are serious responses unless someone is having a laugh at my expense. Please stop posting these 'suggestions'.

Originally Posted by columnshift
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

There is a foreign object inside the transmission. >_< How can this possibly end in a good outcome just driving it? Looking at the picture of the gears in the transmission it either goes between metal gears, and i'm pretty sure thick plastic, even though it's just plastic, will either damage or crack it instantly due to close tolerances... or jerk so hard it damages other things when the gears lock solid because they are attached to something causing a random breakage slightly later... or it melts and gets into the fluid and gums stuff up, probably in a way that's not self cleaning.

Would you shove a piece of plastic between the chains and gearset of a timing belt? How is this any better? I can't believe these are serious responses unless someone is having a laugh at my expense. Please stop posting these 'suggestions'.

What would you like us to tell you? You apparently don't have any tools or in depth technical abilities. Find a way to get it out of there or drive it like it is, those are the options. Spend $3 and buy a proper funnel next time. We didn't drop it in there, you did. We're legitimately trying to help and you're being rude.

I'm waiting for someone who knows things like whether or not the dipstick might have a screen on the bottom of it. Or where it would drop/what the hole is directly over - gears? A hole where it could fall through to the transmission pan?

Kicking me while i'm down is not helping, saying i'm rude for an answer that can't possibly end well isn't helping. Saying i'm a fool for what was an accidental mistake isn't helping when i'm hanging on with my fingernails to try and avoid ending up homeless and a drain on society and fighting tooth and nail to stay in college. I'm just waiting for someone to provide a piece of information i'm able to act on. Like where it probably would have dropped. Or if there is a screen.

I'm not asking for pity. Just not for answers that can't possibly end well, or which mostly serve to push my face into dung to not be posted, ok? I don't see how that is "rude" to not want to be ridiculed or given bad advice. A bad thing happened and i'm trying to prevent it turning into an even worse thing.

I'm sure someone else here has worked on one of these transmissions and has the piece of information i'm looking for.

Last edited:
I'd like to think an engineer would create something that doesn't die from a foreign object down the trans dipstick hole - then again maybe thats exactly what they'd engineer knowing it means more profit and a new transmission to scroo do it yourselfers.

9 out of 10 engineers will (try and) design something that lasts 'forever'. They get nothing out of poorly designed parts except a poor reputation. On the other hand, you want them to design something "that doesn't die from a foreign object" being put inside of it ? Should engineers design engines that can run with no oil too ?

What would you like us to tell you? You apparently don't have any tools or in depth technical abilities. Find a way to get it out of there or drive it like it is, those are the options. Spend $3 and buy a proper funnel next time. We didn't drop it in there, you did. We're legitimately trying to help and you're being rude.

I mean now i'm stuck posting twice. I literally HAD a proper funnel, and through random fluke and circumstance it got damaged after I have the trans fluid out, when the only vehicle I have working has to have it's trans fluid refilled before I can get another.

So I improvise up a fix - because poo happens - are you really going to tell me poo has never happened for you? That despite your best preparation, and trying your best, things just didn't go your way, and now youre struggling trying to make it right, but the best thing you come up with somehow fails and then makes it even worse?

FUBAR?

I improvised a fix, and it failed in a way that I didn't expect it would. Yes it's "my fault". Yes i'm aware if wishes were fishes, things could have been prevented.

Like I could have not spent $250 last week trying to help a homeless friend in my other emergency trans post, trying to encourage THEM not to end their life, just to get them to a job that would hopefully turn things around for them. Now they are working at a job, but their own car is ready to die, and any help they could send my way isn't going to magically fix it either. Even spending $1500 at a dealer is not going to magically fix it, thats just what they charge to disassemble the transmission to look afterall.

Maybe if I hadn't spent that money, I could have dropped it on the cam or better tools or other stuff, but you dont think it's going to go that way. You do the best that you can with what you have, and sometimes things just turn against you no matter how hard you try, or how well you attempted to prepare for it.

All i'm saying is now i'm in a situation. A situation caused by a blunder that HAPPENED, and I can either do something that seems guaranteed to end in failure - just drive it with a transmission-destroying object probably propped against some gears - or I can sit and do nothing, and ask people for more advice here, and see if someone with the right intimate familiarity with this car and this trans and what probably would have or could have happened - to perhaps give me some additional advice that gives me a better solution.

Maybe even a solution that saves the trans. And the car. And my job. And maybe this semester at school. So the next time I do something like help someone homeless I don't regret being a greedy [censored] never helping anyone "because i'll probably need that $250 next week", because if I go through life all bitter like that i'm probably not going to be a very nice person to be around.

I screwed up. What else do you want me to say? Is it rude to not want to feel stepped on when I already KNOW I screwed up and i'm just trying to fix something I already know I probably cant fix, but have nothing to lose attempting now because the potential damage is already done?

The car hasn't moved an inch since this occurred. I can either undo it or not. tomorrow with some light i'll see if I can find a way to remove the trans dipstick. I can see about ordering that viewhole camera from amazon, whether I return it or not. Before I could have just gotten it and not worried about it but now i'm going to play the credit card and amazon return juggle probably to have it. OR maybe I buy something, that if I can somehow use on another job, I can pay for within two months - if something special is needed to deal with this trans. Those are all some options - that i'm thankful someone tried to post suggestions of. And even though youre upset with me being upset, you too tried to post advice. Yes i'm thankful you tried. Yes it's still my fault. Yes i'm still upset at all this. Yet i'm stuck in this situation and I either do the almost-guaranteed-wrong-thing which is what I resort to if everything else fails anyways, since the car just goes to the junkyard solving nothing... or I make some last attempts to fix it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'd like to think an engineer would create something that doesn't die from a foreign object down the trans dipstick hole - then again maybe thats exactly what they'd engineer knowing it means more profit and a new transmission to scroo do it yourselfers.

9 out of 10 engineers will (try and) design something that lasts 'forever'. They get nothing out of poorly designed parts except a poor reputation. On the other hand, you want them to design something "that doesn't die from a foreign object" being put inside of it ? Should engineers design engines that can run with no oil too ?

If it's just a screen, like they tend to have on say the fuel pickup inside a fuel tank or something yes? I'd like it designed that way? Because poo sometimes happens?

Do we really need the conversation to go this way or is this useful for solving the problem i'm now facing?

I'm just trying to find out from someone whose maybe rebuilt one whether this 5 speed honda trans has a dipstick hole right over gears ready to munch things, or over a space between gears where dropping to the pan is a likely outcome (if I can just somehow get the pan dropped - which maybe I cant, i'm just trying to figure out first things first), or if there IS a screen at the bottom somehow just to prevent foreign object ingestion over a given size. In which case I might still be able to fish things out esp given the camera or something to go down the hole.

Last edited:
I'm not asking for pity.

when i'm hanging on with my fingernails to try and avoid ending up homeless and a drain on society and fighting tooth and nail to stay in college.
That's exactly what you're asking for, why else would you mention that?

It's an old car, just drive it. Your trans is already toast, who cares.

Alright, sorry for my reply earlier. I just don't see that you have many options. On these, the best I can tell, you don't have a traditional pan, the case has to be split.

I've absolutely had things like this happen. I've put things together only to realize that I've failed to install something in the correct order and had to start over. I've broken bolts off and had to disassemble everything I've worked for hours to put together the first time. Things happen. You just have to fix things the best you can and go on. If you can't get it out through the dipstick hole then you'll have to find someone that knows more about these units that you or I do, or roll the dice and drive it.
I know that things are hard for you right now, I'm not trying to make them harder. Sometimes there isn't a good answer is all I'm saying.

My recommendation is to call the trans shop that rebuilt it and tell them what you've got going on, see what they say. Or call any transmission shop for that matter, they've probably worked on a ton of these. Call around until you get an answer, somebody will help you out.
If you want vehicle specific information, your best bet is a Honda or Honda Accord forum.

back years ago I put a Bic pen in the spark plug hole of my Honda 200ES classic trike to find TDC...well it broke off and I couldn't fish it out so I just ran it..could hear it crunching at first but the engine just ate it, that was a decade ago..no troubles since...course I run TCW-3 fuel so and Bic pen deposits were likely cleaned-up.

Last edited:

At the risk of triggering another 3-page defensive essay, I'd have to agree.

The chances of a bit of (flexible?) PVC tubing breaking a manual transmission seem pretty minimal.

It'll either get stuck somewhere, get ground up, or melt.

The last is probably unlikely since gearbox oil doesn't typically get into the (rather wide) PVC melting range. You might end up with some microplastic in your oil, which seems unlikely to do any harm. If that's a worry, wait a while (thousand miles?) then change it.

PVC is a chlorine containing compound so in principle thermal breakdown could form hydrochloric
acid, but I think its stability will prevent that.

There used to be a trick that involved putting a nylon shirt in a disintegrating gearbox to buy a bit of time. I once had a disintegrating gearbox (Bearing rollers and much metal in the drained oil, though it continued to shift smooth as butter) until a rear spring hangar failed) and I rather regret not trying it.

I just don't see that you have many options. On these, the best I can tell, you don't have a traditional pan, the case has to be split.

My recommendation is to call the trans shop that rebuilt it and tell them what you've got going on, see what they say.

If you want vehicle specific information, your best bet is a Honda or Honda Accord forum.

Well the only thing i've been doing for the moment is looking at borescope options on Amazon. Unless anyone knows even better there seem to be amazingly inexpensive 5.5mm ones and notably more expensive but slightly smaller 3.9mm ones:

$20 5.5mm example https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-KinCam-Semi-Rigid-Waterproof-Adjustable/dp/B07HR6PW3P/ there are even cheaper but seem to require 'USB on the go" from a phone to work, this one allegedly works with a laptop too.

$160 3.9mm example https://www.amazon.com/Vividia-VQ-3910-Handheld-Borescope-Inspection/dp/B073ZHFCFL/

I dont know if both will fit down the dipstick hole, but since I probably need to fit the scope end AND something like a stiff piece of coathanger with a bit of a hook in the end of it... even if I can see it at the bottom of the hole... I might have to just get the 3.9mm one. That's not the end of the world, i'd thought years ago I wanted one anyways and they'd come down in price more than I thought. I didn't plan to get one NOW, maybe I can still return it afterwards, but it seems to be my first step. Maybe it literally is just sorta at the bottom of the dipstick hole, and i'll be able to see it, hook it, and pull it right back up.

Next step seems to be to detach that dipstick which looked easy on the transmission page someone had or linked to even tho I was scratching my head a bit trying to see where that was/still trying to verify it was the right transmission I guess. If it's not in the hole, maybe it fell into the transmission, but not into an irretrievable position... maybe it can be snatched with those grabby things, especially with the addition of the borescope and starting that many more inches down to the trans itself.

Maybe it fell through to the bottom - I can't tell if the trans is supposed to be split either. I just know a friend claimed there was a pan that could drop out maybe he means something internal... which he was also talking about the filter, they dont normally change at the dealer during a fluid change because its a PITA to get to... but which should be there anyways. And that it should be possible to do this without removing the transmission from the car - even if it might involve lots of leaking fluid and other crap.

Maybe even if it didnt fall through to the bottom, but did fall through the dipstick hole and cant be retrieved from the top, maybe opening up the transmission partially will let me fish up using the endoscope and a claw grabby thing from the bottom to find the piece of plastic, and grab it, and then bolting the transmission closed, pouring fluid back in, and seeing whether it still works after all that drama.

I called a few shops and dealers, was mostly told to bring it in and they'd have a look at it. That involves a tow, inspection cost, and even if they say yup it's too expensive to fix another tow to get right back to where I am now. With a car I might as well try to fix even if it's beyond what I originally planned, because i'm already in over my head. I can spend $200 for two ways of tow or $200 for a possibly returnable borescope to give it my own first attempt so i'm probably doing that before anything.

Originally Posted by Ducked

At the risk of triggering another 3-page defensive essay, I'd have to agree.

The chances of a bit of (flexible?) PVC tubing breaking a manual transmission seem pretty minimal.

The last is probably unlikely since gearbox oil doesn't typically get into the (rather wide) PVC melting range. You might end up with some microplastic in your oil, which seems unlikely to do any harm. If that's a worry, wait a while (thousand miles?) then change it.

It's the 5 speed automatic, which everyone tells me are sensitive beasts - based on the way they seem to misshift over a little metal particles in the trans fluid being only 10k past it's normal service life. I decided I didn't want to risk that. If it was a stick shift - yes i'd consider it. But this is Honda's ultrasensitive finicky automatic which was already acting funny when I posted about it here a few days ago. :-/

Also the PVC tubing was pretty thick walled - this isn't the thinnest possible stuff. It just seems like it either a) instantly jams perhaps smaller more sensitive gears breaking something, b) gets ground up then the particle goes thru a hydraulic passage screwing up the shifting that was already screwing up, c) melts into the fluid creating an impurity in a trans that is so impurity sensitive it's just going to cause a problem.

Thank you for the attempted serious reasoning at least for why maybe there's no reason to worry. I just already got in this situation doing the expedient answer at hand - ie instead of spending $20 for an uber to pick up a replacement $5 funnel, thinking just temporarily one time using some PVC tubing should work fine, and that's now created a multihundred dollar problem at minimum. I'm trying not to double down on this.

I'm at least wanting to exhaust what I consider possibly more reasonable options before just starting and driving it. Maybe there is nothing left to lose, or maybe I can fix it right using the borescope, or slightly splitting the case to drain fluid and fish around and other things.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot y'all mostly drive autos and I didn't look at the picture carefully enough.

I've only owned one auto and basically did nothing to it, so no real experience, but I'd agree they are likely to be more fragile.

If you can't somehow get it out I'd say "do nothing" (cf the Hippocratic "do no harm") is still an option, though.

Does this PVC float in transmission fluid? (should be testable, though my guess would be it sinks).

IF it floats, you MIGHT be able to float it out by overfilling the transmission, assuming it could be drained or pumped out to the right level afterwards.

You might also be able to snag it with a suction line, rigged to a vacuum cleaner or water-powered venturi pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back