Repaint / repair, or sell 1997 Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
How rusty? As far as I can tell, cars don't seem to rust much in Maryland. Brake lines yes, body just surface rust that doesn't rust through. Of course that might depend on where in Maryland you live, but cars don't seem to rust out in the Baltimore-DC area. The only thing I have ever seen come close (and it's not particularly rusty) is a truck that's rarely used and parked on the grass.

I live right near Washington County (Hagerstown area) and cars can get pretty rusty in this area. My S10 lived in that county all its life and the underside is a bit crispy. The cab corners both have been replaced once as the rockers (passenger side I just replaced so now it's on its second). I'm pretty sure they're starting to use the liquid stuff now and that'll only accelerate corrosion. I imagine the further West you go (think Allegheny and Cumberland counties) it gets worse with the mountainous terrain and more snow...

Last edited:
If you don't mind Maaco or finding a shop in a seedy part of town, I'd keep it if you have the resources.

I've liked the later GMT400s - while the interior is still typical GM cheap it's a far cry from the 1990-1995 interiors. Pretty decently good to wrench on. AC compressors, IMGs(on the Vortec 350s) and ABS are a low point on these. I was about to swap in a Sanden clone into a 1998 Tahoe.

Last edited:
What about taking it down to Tijuana for a paint job?

edit: thought the OP was in CA for some reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
1997 Suburban, 454, 4wd,, 4.10 gears, LT trim with almost all options. Mechanically is good shape, but will need front brake work, and one front brake line just burst. Also has a somewhat rusty frame but nothing all the way through.
AC compressor is shot. 105k miles and the engine, trans and 4wd run great, interior is decent but shows typical wear- no major defects or tears in the gray leather. Michelin LTX with about 75% tread left.

The main thing- the paint is horrible- the top surface of the hood is peeling, and the roof has got lots of surface rust. I am right at the border between trying to fix it up vs. scraping it, vs selling it to somebody that wants either the driveline and interior, or to fix it up. I no longer really need it for family trips or towing my boat, and in Maryland we only get significant snow a few times a year.

Looking for recommendations: sell as is, scrap it, repair it and sell, repair and keep.

How rusty? As far as I can tell, cars don't seem to rust much in Maryland. Brake lines yes, body just surface rust that doesn't rust through. Of course that might depend on where in Maryland you live, but cars don't seem to rust out in the Baltimore-DC area. The only thing I have ever seen come close (and it's not particularly rusty) is a truck that's rarely used and parked on the grass.

You must live in the the part of Maryland they show on The Wire
smile.gif
My part of Maryland cars can rust if the owners hold on to them long enough. But I think I got a lemon as far as paint jobs go.
Seriously, if your in Baltimore, then I could be creepin round your back door in 30 min or less.

smile.gif

You mean film The Wire, and yes.

My part of Maryland cars can rust if the owners hold on to them long enough. But I think I got a lemon as far as paint jobs go.

I have heard of that happening to certain year GM cars where they got bad paint, and there was a silent recall on it. Seriously, my Dad had a Chevy Celebrity where the paint would peel off if you put a piece of tape on it. He was at the dealer for something else and the dealer tested his car, and when the paint came off they explained that they could give him a new paint job for free if he could leave the car with them for like 2-3 weeks. So he did. This would have been in the late 80's

smile.gif

You mean film The Wire, and yes.

Really, a guy that lives in Balmer is correcting my writing ? You gots some nerve, hon.

Originally Posted by grampi
The paint work alone will probably cost you more than the vehicle's worth...

A Suburban should only take three or maybe four quarts of Rustoleum plus some paint thinner, rollers and (wet) sandpaper. It may not look perfect but it will look better.

Originally Posted by Tornado Red
Originally Posted by grampi
The paint work alone will probably cost you more than the vehicle's worth...

A Suburban should only take three or maybe four quarts of Rustoleum plus some paint thinner, rollers and (wet) sandpaper. It may not look perfect but it will look better.

You can buy Rustoleum by the gallon. Having said that, I would only use the marine version of Rustoleum, since it has built in UV protection and regular Rustoleum does not. Lowes near me stocks it. I think Tractor Supply has something similar as well.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Marine-Topside-Paint/163565901
I have no idea if this can be bought by the gallon.

Note: Even regular Rustoleum will hold up better then MAACO's cheapest paint.

Originally Posted by Anduril
It's a 1997 Suburban, not a show car. Paint it flat black or primer gray.

I think that's what the Joker did in Batman when he robbed the bank.. Lol.

I was looking for this exact kind of vehicle. Good foundation and crummy cosmetics. I never found one and spent more on a 'nicer' vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back