Repair of broken interior plastic console

This is thirty year old plastic in a Toyota Camry that's getting so brittle I'm about to give up trying to continue patching it. I've yet to find any aftermarket sources for this type of console material (but I've not done much with old interiors before). From what I've seen in the salvage yards, they are about the same brittle shape.

I think that panel will end up in three or four pieces when I try to remove it for repair so I'm looking for ideas on how one might replace the panel(s). Or just to fix that hole along with the cracks to make it stable and to look better for an old daily driver.

P1050861.JPG

I think this is your best bet

Cover it with glued on carpeting, that'll help hold it together.
That or upholstery vinyl. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube in relation to wrapping custom subwoofer enclosures. You'll have to be cognizant of tolerances between the interior panels for reassembly.

You could try fusing it together from the backside with a plastic welder. You may want to pick up another piece of the console from a scrapyard to practice on, because you will need to experiment with different filler rods if you don't know the material type. You could also cut a piece off the scrap console to use as filler material.

Back