Are all synthetics good for 10k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
.......About the older M1 EP, it has more PAO, in some grades as I recall, compared to silver-bottle regular M1 & M1 AFE too, plus we can assume EP has anti-ox tech that allows it to go 15k miles.
Originally Posted by asker123
I am planning to run M1 EP for one year oci. The milage will be approx 16000kms ( 10000 miles) but the vehical will see short trips during weekdays in severe Winnipeg cold.
Do the anti aging and superiior anti oxidants listed above protect the oil going acidic or go bad due to moisture absorption and fuel dilution ?
Yes, anti-ox & detergents etc. are great defenses, and the more advanced they are, the better.
if the vehical is run 40 or 50 kms over weekend, does the illeffect of short trips get reversed?
No, since the acids get formed right away, and some water sits in there. Does help some though.
Is doing 1 year oci with M1 EP in such conditions safe? ( there is 500 ml oil added every 2500 kms or so)...
Adding oil like that helps a lot. Sounds like this is absolutely no problem.

All that said, this is an example of why Oil Life Monitors (OLM), I mean a decent algorithm that tracks conditions as you drive and makes educated guesses about oil chemistry breakdown, is so valuable. Many OLM's take in temperature soaks & extreme RPM's, etc. to help us avoid guessing. But this particular asker123's case, especially with the added oil as he goes, is easy for about any full syn oil to go a year in. M1 EP is nice in this app because we're even more sure about it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Here is the good news:

"The Mobil 1 limited warranty is valid for 10,000 miles or your vehicle's OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer."

Did Mobil 1 change the text on their page in the past couple of days ? How was that missed by others ? They clearly cover 10k mile intervals. The only caveat is this doesn't apply while the vehicle is still under the manufacturer's warranty.

Your last sentence there is a big, big, detail... That is of utmost importance for people running M1 and the vehicle is still under warranty. I bet 98% of people miss that.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Talking coffee yes you are correct.
12.gif
and talking about that its time to get off here for a moment and be the first pot of Columbian Supreme going.

That's right! coffee is not coffee! But oil is oil ... or maybe not
shocked2.gif

I would take good coffee plus group iii oil over bad coffee and group iv pao oil
shocked2.gif

cars can survive with inferior oil
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back