Please help me understand Extended Oil Drain motor oils

To ext the drain interval slowly unscrew the drain plug. As slow as you can. Your drain will then be extended. Good luck 👍.

That would be because the intense sarcasm with which I wrote my post was filtered out. I am in the do as long of OCI that is safe club. I debated dropping to a shorter interval than 10k on my 2016 Cayenne S (twin turbo V6) but given it holds 9.5 quarts decided I would stick with Porsche’s 10k OCI.

Forgive me for my insolence

For extended drain intervals, I think the most important factors are oil breakdown and contamination levels. Just because you can do 15k doesn't mean you should. Another factor is how long you plan to keep the vehicle... do you even care about it lasting another 150k?

For extended drain intervals, I think the most important factors are oil breakdown and contamination levels. Just because you can do 15k doesn't mean you should. Another factor is how long you plan to keep the vehicle... do you even care about it lasting another 150k?
Fuel dilution is a big one.

You are living in the '50s. Back in the day we had open crankcases allowing the engine to take in dirty air and pollute the oil. Today we don't have that type of crankcase ventilation. In those days we had carburetors so the fuel mixture was not always 'spot-on'. Carburetors allowed cylinder wash from over-rich periods of engine operation. Today we have fuel injection where the fuel /air mixture is spot on and oil dilution from cylinder wash no longer exists.
Over the years motor oil manufacturers have made great advances in the quality of their products so its life expectancy in you engine has increased phenomenally. I change mine ever 8,000 to 10,000 mile. I've owned the car for 14 years and it now shows 159,000 miles on the odometer, and it doesn't use a drop of oil.
Generally true IF you have a port fuel injection system and predominantly do interstate miles. If you do large city / suburb stop snd go , shirt trip driving I believe best to dial the OCI back to 5,000 miles / 6 months (which ever comes first) … If you drive a GDI engine vehicle that 5,000 mile / 6 month OCI recommendation would be the longest I would run (even predominately interstate miles) and with the usual big city / suburban stop and go , short trips , etc. most of us drive - I would dial a GDI engine OCI back to 3,750 miles / 6 months and that goes double for a GDI turbo engine . My Hyundai GDI engine thrashed & dilutes oil like it invented those terms !

I would dial a GDI engine OCI back to 3,750 miles / 6 months and that goes double for a GDI turbo engine . My Hyundai GDI engine thrashed & dilutes oil like it invented those terms !
Yeah, I'm surprised my sister's sonata hasn't blown up yet. After 5k miles only a quart came out. I wonder what will happen first blown engine or stolen car.

I'll just part the thread by mentioning that I believe what I can see or experience myself ...... so when I check my cheap used 10w30 oil & filter after 3K miles ...... it appears black .... it smells bad and contaminated .... and the filter appears full of crap.
And my crappy 3.8L Korean engine does'nt identify a difference in the bundle of different viscosity oils either after 220K miles so far.
Gullible folks are what keeps the economy humming.

2000 miles, forsooth! Are you nuts? With a turbo DI, I have to change my 20W60 every evening after my drive home or my engine will barf its crank!

RIP, I bet it was a nice car but too bad you are stretching those OCIs. I've just added an oil tank in mine with a constant circulation of new oil.

Wait, a constant circulation? Or are you injecting new oil that is then captured and disposed?

Another possibility would be a distillation and hydrocracking setup in your trunk, essentially re-refining the oil as you drive.

Change oil and filter every time you drive. Drive 10 miles then drive back, change oil and filter. Its cheap insurance.

Yes, all constant circulation of new oil and recovery of old. Like one of those fancy auto trans flush machines. I like the hydrocracking idea.

i am a big fan of extended intervals between dental cleanings.

Bah humbug.

I put one of these in mine, but it's called a Home Fusion Generator - specifically the Mr. Fusion model. 1.21 jigowatts @88mph.

View attachment 205513
You guys are all sick. Every last one of you mental. And I’m here for it!!! 🤣🤣😂

I might also need to IV drip oil just to pre-test it for my vehicle. If I die, it was bad oil. Only way to be sure.🤪🙃🤡

You guys are all sick. Every last one of you mental. And I’m here for it!!! 🤣🤣😂

I might also need to IV drip oil just to pre-test it for my vehicle. If I die, it was bad oil. Only way to be sure.🤪🙃🤡
If that happens, make sure you have them do a post mortem UOA on you if you go to that great oil tank in the sky.

Generally true IF you have a port fuel injection system and predominantly do interstate miles. If you do large city / suburb stop snd go , shirt trip driving I believe best to dial the OCI back to 5,000 miles / 6 months (which ever comes first) … If you drive a GDI engine vehicle that 5,000 mile / 6 month OCI recommendation would be the longest I would run (even predominately interstate miles) and with the usual big city / suburban stop and go , short trips , etc. most of us drive - I would dial a GDI engine OCI back to 3,750 miles / 6 months and that goes double for a GDI turbo engine . My Hyundai GDI engine thrashed & dilutes oil like it invented those terms !
I understand the general basis there, but my 2.0L Ecoboost (TDI) goes 8 - 10k between OCIs and all UOAs have come back showing zero issues, including fuel dilution. That's normally 100 miles a day interstate/uninterrupted country roads with very, very little city or stop and go driving. Not all TDIs are created equally.

One factor to consider is the widespread adoption of IOLMs. These are typically well validated and account for short trip use as well as extremes of hot and cold. They take a lot of the guesswork out of OCIs. Another is that ordinary oils that meet current standards are a whole lot better at holding up in service than were those of thirty years ago.
Also, consider that many and maybe most not on here or another enthusiast forum are doing extended OCIs on a regular basis without even thinking about it. They just put off spending the time and money to get an oil change while going about their everyday business in their cars. Their cars still usually go 200K+and we only hear about the small minority that don't.

If you can do it without adverse wear, why shouldn't you do it? As I posted above, I just sold a GDI car that I ran 10k intervals at 190k that burned no oil between changes. The car was driven in mixed driving. I have done 10k intervals in my 1996 Toyota Landcruiser for more than 20 years. I am sure it will kill it, but it has 291k miles and burns no oil between oil changes. Both were with M1 0w049. If I did 5k intervals instead over the time I owned both vehicles that would have been 30 additional oil changes, 30 hours less in my life and $1,500 less in my wallet.

I understand the general basis there, but my 2.0L Ecoboost (TDI) goes 8 - 10k between OCIs and all UOAs have come back showing zero issues, including fuel dilution. That's normally 100 miles a day interstate/uninterrupted country roads with very, very little city or stop and go driving. Not all TDIs are created equally.
And despite you doing UOAs that support that these intervals are safe for you, you will probably get several people telling you that you are destroying your engine.

In - law has Honda CRV 1.5t unsure what yr but she waits for the OLM to say change oil. She has 186000 miles

It’s depends on your engine, know your engine. Do your research, own it for a while, monitor things. How’s it going? Do you consume oil? Do you have fuel dilution? Misfires? Whatever? Maybe experiment a little bit, bring the interval out. It’s up to you, but you know your engine after a while…how it responds in different weather/temperature, and how does in different comuting scenarios.

Usually after a good 50,000 miles with a car I kind of “know it”. I’ll adjust. And then I’ll adjust again with age and mileage. But right now I’m doing 10,000 mile intervals, on other vehicles I own I dont.

If you can do it without adverse wear, why shouldn't you do it? As I posted above, I just sold a GDI car that I ran 10k intervals at 190k that burned no oil between changes. The car was driven in mixed driving. I have done 10k intervals in my 1996 Toyota Landcruiser for more than 20 years. I am sure it will kill it, but it has 291k miles and burns no oil between oil changes. Both were with M1 0w049. If I did 5k intervals instead over the time I owned both vehicles that would have been 30 additional oil changes, 30 hours less in my life and $1,500 less in my wallet.
You are not doing 15k, you are doing 10k. There is a significant difference.
And I am very happy to hear about your positive experience! Seriously, that is great. But not everyone will have the same result.
$1500 over 20 years time is a relatively small expense when the owner values long-term reliability. Speaking in generalities, not your particular circumstances (y)

Back