Would Like the Manual Transmission to Make a Comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
In my opinion the demise of the manual transmission has been accelerated with the influx of safety systems like adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking.

Consumers want these systems in new cars. Anything that translates into a safer driving experience is worth it.

I certainly don't and as these systems have taken root accident levels have actually accelerated, freeway deaths have increased every year in Wisconsin since 2014.

I prefer manuals in everything, even my old diesel suburban was a stick.
The only exception I would make is for a plug in.
But a 30mpg Suburban and a 50 mpg Cobalt are impossible without a stick.

As I've mentioned before, I have always driven manual Bimmers prior to the M235i, but the manuals in the M240i and 230i don't feel as smooth or as precise as-for example-the close-ratio five speed in my Club Sport. In the case of the M235i/M240i I really prefer the automatic because it works so well in that application. It's relatively fast on the track yet it returns good fuel economy on the street. When I took my M235i to my home track(Putnam Park) the transmission shifted at the points I would have selected 99% of the time(in Sport+ mode for the car and Sport for the transmission). Anyway, I have the Club Sport to practice heel-toe and other techniques- and with @150 hp I can beat on it like a red-headed stepchild with no fear of attracting the attention of law enforcement.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I tossed back and forth between ordering my new Jeep JL Wrangler with a manual or the really nice 8 speed auto. My wife said it wouldn't be a "real" Jeep if it had an auto, plus I saw the new manual transmission was going to be made by Aisin, so I went for it. I know the 8 speed is exceptional, but boy am I glad I went with the manual! It has by far the nicest clutch and shifting feel of any I've ever driven. It is silky smooth and very well matched to the new Pentastar. I've since gone to 35" tires and it still feels perfectly matched. Lots of people thought Jeep wouldn't offer a manual, but I'm happy they were wrong. They seem to be selling alright, too. One of the best side benefits is that most thieves could never drive it and woudn't even try. I've parked it in downtown Indianapolis a number of times with no doors and had no fear. A police officer who works for me said he's never seen a case of a stolen car with a manual transmission in his 10 years on the force. I'm sure it can happen, but the odds are so low, I just don't give it a worry.

I also drove my brother's new Camaro ZL1 1LE last week. 650hp and a wonderful 6 speed manual. The fun of going through the gears in that car is simply mind blowing. I worked him over pretty good to go with the 1LE, which only comes with a manual. He was hesitant, but now thanks me every time I see him.

There is a connection with the vehicle that just can't be duplicated with an automatic or even a paddle shift semi-auto, in my humble opinion.

Very well said!

Agreed

In Europe if you drive anything but a stick you are assumed to be a handicap.

Even a little 25hp Subaru 360 car is a joy to drive because it's a manual

The new 8 speed autos are definitely much better than they have ever been, but I plan to never get rid of my 6MT G35. I will buy and sell other more practical cars, but as long as this one stays reliable, I will continue to enjoy the naturally aspirated engine and manual transmission - with a nice interior.

Unless I win the lottery (which I don't play - so it's not likely), in which case I will buy a better handling, faster car with a manual transmission.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Agreed
In Europe if you drive anything but a stick you are assumed to be a handicap.
Even a little 25hp Subaru 360 car is a joy to drive because it's a manual

Things are changing there as well, a lot more automatics than before, old habits die hard.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
MT in new cars are going the way of the carrier pigeon. The trend is clear.

Today's automotive choices are being taken away in favor of streamlining the auto maker's production lines...

I have no desire to own a manual transmission. I have a bad left knee and working the clutch for any length of time aggravates it. I also hate driving in traffic with one. I'm completely happy with my automatics.

People gave me crap when I bought my Mustang with an automatic but I don't care and it's still a fun car to drive.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by SeaJay
MT in new cars are going the way of the carrier pigeon. The trend is clear.

Today's automotive choices are being taken away in favor of streamlining the auto maker's production lines...

Agreed, legally due to platform laws auto makers have to crash test a car with a manual transmission as if it's a totally different car which costs millions making them unprofitable.

This is the same law that prevents Toyota from glueing a 15lb plastic solar panel to the roof of their cars (but on the spoilerwouldbe fine)

This is also why you can't buy any motor you want like you can in Europe, in Europe there are full size cars that can be special ordered with a 1 liter manual or a full V8, you never see that here due to the immense legal cost.

We really need to eliminate platform laws, they are just an excuse to give the customer one generic choice for a car and drive up option costs, totally stupid laws with no benefit.

Learned to drive on manual gearboxes … but these days I seldom take off in the morning without a cup of coffee to sip on while listening to XM etc … automatics are good by me …

If you are ever going to resell it - sure don't buy a manual.

If you re going to own it and drive it for fun or pleasure vs commuting - there is nothing like rowing your own.

its just way more fun in a sports car - whether its faster or slower isn't the point the point is driving enjoyment.

UD

I daily drove manuals for my first 15 years of driving, I learned to drive with a 3 on the tree in a 1968 Bronco. They're fun to drive in the right situation, but for daily driving and traffic, I'll always take an auto. A comeback is highly unlikely, the manual transmission is dead. I'm a truck driver and even class 8 trucks are all switching to auto, big carriers like Werner, Swift and Schneider are all 60% auto fleets, and fewer sports cars are offering them in the lineup like Ferrari. Like it or not, autos outperform manuals in every category nowadays, that alone has sealed the doom for the manual transmission. It will soon join carburetors and crank starters. Can't say I'll miss it, you're basically shooting yourself in the foot in resale value buying a new car with a manual, used car dealerships have a hard time getting rid of them so you're always going to get shafted on trade or sale values. But it's not like they're just going to fall off the face of the earth all at once they stop making them either, plenty of used cars will still have them.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Learned to drive on manual gearboxes … but these days I seldom take off in the morning without a cup of coffee to sip on while listening to XM etc … automatics are good by me …

cheers3.gif
me too.....grew up on my dads early 50 model dodge truck, 3 on a tree,was fun but,,I like my coffeeeeeeeeeeeeee...lol

I use to be one of those that thought manuals were better in any situation over autos... Then I moved a little out of the way and started actually commuting. For commuting in traffic, automatics are amazing. Up until the past 2 years or so I daily drove manuals. Can you drive a stick in traffic? Sure, you fall into a rhythm. But its far from enjoyable.

Anymore I prefer the auto for daily driving, and the stick for some weekend fun.

Originally Posted by dareo
I expected them to be dead by now. That's why I bought two brand new daily driver type manual vehicles in the past 5 years. We love to drive manual but its also nice to take a break and drive an auto from time to time.

I guess I don't care if manual transmissions disappear from new cars since my two cars with manual gearboxes will last me at least another ten years or more -- but before then, I plan to move to a tropical island and won't need a car.

Originally Posted by CT8
There isn't anything like the 13 speed Roadranger. Driving with one is a beautiful ballet. They are on the way out as well. FADEC for semis.

All the new trucks our company is getting have automatics. The Mack 12 speed is really good and the Eaton 10 speed really sucks. The Eaton is so slow pulling out from a stop it's dangerous. FWIW if all the trucks had the Mack transmission I wouldn't miss manuals at all except they are better for pulling liquids.

Last edited:
In the USA, I think the automatics pretty much took over in the 1970's. I don't think the take rate for manuals has ever been higher than 10% since 1980. The American OEM's have always had a hard time justifying the development expense of manuals in high volume cars. So it's a burden that we true driving enthusiasts have had to carry for a long time.

I don't own anything but manuals, and have a saying: "If you're not driving a manual, you're not really driving."
The mental effort required to manage the transmission requires you to keep focused on driving.
I hope I can keep driving a 3-pedal car as long as I can drive, but arthritis is creeping into my middle-aged knees...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back