Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40, 5300 miles, 2017 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This is the first UOA I have seen with the new Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40, it was sent to me by another member of the Corvette Forum. It's a 2017 Corvette with the Z51 package. This is a Blackstone report (I tried to attach it but was having no luck)

5,300 miles on oil
5,800 miles on engine
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40
AC Delco PF64 oil filter
10 quart oil capacity
No make up oil

Iron 38
Lead 0
Aluminum 6
Copper 11
Chromium 2
Nickel 0
Tin 2
Silver 0

Silicon 38
Potassium 5
Sodium 5

Moly 88
Boron 181
Titanium 0
Calcium 1577
Magnesium 98
Manganese 1
Barium 0

Phosphorus 748
Zinc 854

SUS Viscosity at 210F 65.8
cst Viscosity at 100c 11.83
Flashpoint 425F
Fuel Water 0
Antifreeze 0
Insolubles 0.2%
TBN 4.7

Definitely. These engines shed a lot of iron while breaking in (as most tend to do) It's good to see the TBN is relatively strong still, even though this is a low SAPS oil.

Looks good. This is what I would expect for a new engine, especially GM. Has all the signature GM elements. I like the 0 lead.

The additive package looks like most Mobil 1 oils. Mobil is usually one to keep the additive systems relatively similar across the oil line. This one has a bit more boron than other M1 oils I believe. I wonder if that Mg number is correct?

With that low of mileage its a moot point to even bother with sampling... waste of money and time really.

If I owned that gorgeous car I'd certainly run something other than run-of-the-mill M1... just because they paid tons to be put on the oil cap doesn't make it ideal...

I'd lean towards some Redline or Pennzoil Ultra for that beauty!

This isn't just run of the mill M1, as you put it. This oil was originally from Europe and was tweaked for the North American version for this engine and I have full confidence in it. (I'm running the 5w30 version of it)

Redline would void the warranty by the way...

Originally Posted by Patman
This isn't just run of the mill M1, as you put it. This oil was originally from Europe and was tweaked for the North American version for this engine and I have full confidence in it. (I'm running the 5w30 version of it)

Redline would void the warranty by the way...

I'm sorry...

Originally Posted by LotI
Fixed it for you...

Originally Posted by buster
RP Redline Phillips 66 has nothing on Mobil 1 or many other full synthetic oils.

There I fixed it for you.

So the KV100 dropped from 13.20 to 11.83 in 5,000 miles.
To be fair, KV100 probably started out at 12.8 on 500 mile oil change in the past, since we assume the 11.0 cSt FF M1 silver-bottle 5w30 sheared to 10.0 in 500 miles (maybe?), and then we say there was 10% of the old stuff left in the sump when the new 0w40 went in. ......Let's say it sheared from 12.8 cSt to 11.83, not too bad for VII loss in a 0w40, and it tells me very little thickening oxidation happened.

The Calcium level seems low for a 0W-40. Usually it's up around ~2700. Is that because it's a low SAP oil? Maybe the higher Boron helps compensate for the lower Calcium
confused2.gif
. Beautiful car by the way. A neighbor down the street has a white one with red accenting. Next time he has the cover of it I'll take a pic for you. Unfortunately he doesn't have a garage so he keeps it covered outdoors. I wonder what he's going to do when the 4 months of snow hits.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
To be fair, KV100 probably started out at 12.8 on 500 mile oil change in the past, since we assume the 11.0 cSt FF M1 silver-bottle 5w30 sheared to 10.0 in 500 miles (maybe?), and then we say there was 10% of the old stuff left in the sump when the new 0w40 went in. ......Let's say it sheared from 12.8 cSt to 11.83, not too bad for VII loss in a 0w40, and it tells me very little thickening oxidation happened.

It actually is advertised to have a 12.9 cst starting viscosity, so taking that into consideration it held it's viscosity a bit better than you calculated as well.

Originally Posted by Patman
It actually is advertised to have a 12.9 cst starting viscosity, so taking that into consideration it held it's viscosity a bit better than you calculated as well.
OK, the U.S. version is 12.9, I think I saw the spec sheet for the european M1 ESP 0w40. https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-0W40 and https://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/dexos-2-approved-esp-0w-40.aspx .... so they slightly alter the VII and/or base stocks in North America vs. the rest of the world.

After warranty, why is this 0W-40 better than Euro Spec M1 0W-40 for a Chevy V8? Neither one is a Dexos 1 oil.

Might run 0W-40 in my LS3 but the NEW ESP version is twice the price of Euro Spec.

Originally Posted by ammolab
After warranty, why is this 0W-40 better than Euro Spec M1 0W-40 for a Chevy V8? Neither one is a Dexos 1 oil. Might run 0W-40 in my LS3 but the NEW ESP version is twice the price of Euro Spec.
ESP 0w40 is LSPI resistant having low calcium and it's dexos2. Its mid-saps might also mean less valve deposits, something annoying in a DI engine. If its not boosted and/or DI, then the lower priced one is fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

Solid analysis and flash point is still quite high, so we know it isn't fuel dropping the viscosity.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
With that low of mileage its a moot point to even bother with sampling... waste of money and time really.

If I owned that gorgeous car I'd certainly run something other than run-of-the-mill M1... just because they paid tons to be put on the oil cap doesn't make it ideal...

I'd lean towards some Redline or Pennzoil Ultra for that beauty!

Curious, what Pennzoil product would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back