13-15 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 2013 base model, 2WD for 3 years and ~39K miles. It had a lot of weird issues so we got rid of it and moved into a minivan. We lived with many of the issues because the closest decent ford dealer, the one I got the vehicle at, was 40 miles away and had no loaner cars.

In those 39K miles these were the issues:

- Windshield wipers never worked on the highest setting. Never got this fixed as the second fastest speed was good enough.
- The washer fluid spray head connector inside the hood for the drivers side sprayer broke twice. Snapped off at the base where the soft hose connects to it.
- The LCD display between the spedo and tach would randomly stay on when all the doors were shut and locked.
- The rear passenger seat handle to tilt the seat to get into the 3rd row got so hard to pull that we stopped using it, kids used the drivers side instead.
- Exhaust header leak on rear bank causing ticking sound.
- Rear bumper was separating from the body. IE, a 1/8th to 1/4 inch gap was forming between the sides of the rear bumper and the body.
- This is a big one and the major reason we dumped it. These have a well documented design flaw, it's all over the explorer forums. Under heavy throttle, exhaust gasses enter the vehicle through the vents under the rear bumper and tailgate. It can literally make your eyes water. They have a TSB to seal up the back end with body sealer and foam etc but it doesn't work all the time. Mine wasn't too bad most of the time so we just lived with it until we dumped it. Wife and I knew to crack the windows if using a on ramp etc.

Looking beyond it's weird issues we really liked the driving dynamics and the interior held up very well to 3 years of kid hauling. The 3.5 and 6 speed trans is a great combo, power wherever you need it. I towed with it a few times, enclosed 5x8 trailer @ ~2500 Lbs, did great. I'd definitely give another one a shot if they fixed the exhaust gas issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
Originally Posted By: whip
I need seating for 4 adults and a dog. I have a small boat I tow. I drive vehicles for a long time, so reliability is a concern. What do you recommend?

I recommend a Tahoe or Suburban. I take a lot of long trips up the east coast and find those vehicles to be the best road vehicles. I average 24 MPG [on my 2016 5.3 V8 Tahoe] if it is all highway on 87 regular fuel with a/c on all the time. With the 26 gallon gas tank you will not have to stop often for fuel.

If in doubt just rent one for a couple of days.

I'd love a Tahoe. They're amazing vehicles. If you can find me a 13 or newer model for less than $25,000, I'd get it.

The AWD used in the current Explorer, Taurus, etc... is a copy of the Haldex system Ford used back on the 500 or earlier models. I think Ford cheaped out on the design somewhere along the lines because their recent fixes involved preventing some idler gears from walking into the case. I had that problem with my TorSen on the Crown Vic. The gears would walk into the case, causing all of the grade 8 bolts to snap inside the pumpkin.

Originally Posted by 4WD
+1 � Coming up on 500 miles in the Tahoe and simply loving it �

I have 45K miles on my 2016 Tahoe and still love it.

95k on the wife's 2014 Explorer sport (3.5EB awd). So far it's been a great vehicle. Except for thfor rear doors starting to bubble up on the insides. PTU has been good so far, but I change the fluid with ASG yearly. I little tight with the drain plug but no where near the trouble a previous poster mentioned.

Originally Posted by whip
Originally Posted by FORD4LIFE
Originally Posted by whip
I need seating for 4 adults and a dog. I have a small boat I tow. I drive vehicles for a long time, so reliability is a concern. What do you recommend?

I recommend a Tahoe or Suburban. I take a lot of long trips up the east coast and find those vehicles to be the best road vehicles. I average 24 MPG [on my 2016 5.3 V8 Tahoe] if it is all highway on 87 regular fuel with a/c on all the time. With the 26 gallon gas tank you will not have to stop often for fuel.

If in doubt just rent one for a couple of days.

I'd love a Tahoe. They're amazing vehicles. If you can find me a 13 or newer model for less than $25,000, I'd get it.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=494122586&zip=32812&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D32812%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26maxPrice%3D26000%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2019%26modelCodeList%3DTAHOE%252CYUKON%26makeCodeList%3DCHEV%252CGMC%26searchRadius%3D0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=26000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=TAHOE%2CYUKON&makeCodeList=CHEV%2CGMC&searchRadius=0

Originally Posted by buck91
95k on the wife's 2014 Explorer sport (3.5EB awd). So far it's been a great vehicle. Except for thfor rear doors starting to bubble up on the insides. PTU has been good so far, but I change the fluid with ASG yearly. I little tight with the drain plug but no where near the trouble a previous poster mentioned.

Someone with a 2016 Explorer Sport had the PTU fail in under 30k miles.
It'd be great if Ford provided a drain plug and fill plug on all the PTUs. The non-Sport Explorers only have a fill plug, while the SHO only has a drain plug if you get the Perf Pkg (but no fill plug).

Or Ford could have gone with a real transfer case like GM used for its Traverse. I cannot recommend any of the Ford SUVs/cars to friends and family without disclosing the horrible PTU design and the internal water pump on the 3.5L transverse engines. It can get expensive to replace.

Or you can go to a police auction/Dealer and pick one up between $7000-15K ???

http://chicagomotors.com/inventory/CurrentPage=1,VehicleCategory=0,Make=Ford,VehicleModel=Explorer,Stock=,MinPrice=,MaxPrice=,MinYear=0,MaxYear=0,Sort=Make,Type=,Mileage=,pageSize=10

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back