Pressure washer pump life just 23 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend owns a small HOA maintenance business and said he recently had a conversation with a power washer dealer regarding the longevity of the average homeowner-grade pressure washer such as Craftsman or Troy-Bilt.

According to my friend, the dealer told him they're rated only for 23 cumulative hours of use. Since many are equipped with proven small engines like Briggs and Stratton, I assumed this to mean the actual pumps. (This also jives with what I've seen in the secondary market: many fine running engines but pumps that are shot.)

Can anyone confirm? Heard anything similar? If that's the case, that is a very short return on a $300ish investment. Something doesn't add up. Surely, if you don't abuse it and change the pump oil, you can get more than 23 hours out of it.

I got 9.5 hours out of my Karcher home grade (took 10 years to get there) before I needed to replace the pump. The engine is the Honda GC190, an excellent, quiet efficient engine. The pump side, however, is substandard. I replaced just the pump for about 2/3 the cost of the entire power washer unit, asinine I know. Wobble plate was fine etc. it was the valves in the head that failed. The wobble plate pump is the low end pump. With my new pump installed it is like new again. If I get another ten years I will be happy but that still is not satisfactory in terms of actual runtime.

well my home grade troy bilt lasted 9 years, rusted, unloader was sticking, starter cord fell apart(was starting it with cordless drill).. pump was still happy.. motor was a honda gc160 and with all the horror stories of their plastic parts imploding in pressure washer use.. still ran fine.
probably 150-200 hours on it. Sold it on craigslist for $100.. new was around $329 iirc.

My new cub cadet homeowner grade with 208cc motor paid...$245, I'm expecting similar.. if pump blows after the 3yr warranty I'll replace the pump.

While I would have liked to pay 600-800 on something with a triplex pump.. I couldnt justify it for my use. I use it at 4 homes currently.. and still only manage 25-35hours/yr I do use pump saver. And I'll change the pump oil after 3-4 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
While I would have liked to pay 600-800 on something with a triplex pump.. I couldnt justify it for my use.

My thoughts as well.

Hope this isn't stating the obvious, but did your friend know that you have to use pressure washer pump lubricant in it after you use it? You're supposed to add the pump lubricant after each use so it does not seize up.

I purchased a generac pressure washer from Homeless depot many years ago. It had the Briggs 6.5HP Intek engine. Pump life was half the engine life. But the pump was an all brass unit. It turned out to be a pretty good pressure washer. Replacement pumps were about $250 for a General brand, all brass unit.

I replaced it with a Honda 390 powered, CAT pump, heavy duty model. It's better, but not $600 better.

I have a cheap pressure washer I bought on black Friday at Menards for I think it was $199 at the time. The brand is G-Clean, which was marketed by Green Earth Technologies that used to make G-oil years back (maybe they still do?)

I've owned it for 9 years now and the cheap Chinese pump that's on it has been rock solid. I've gone through 3 spray guns and two hoses, it's seen a lot of use. I probably use it 2-4 hours every month or two just washing cars, add some misc stuff like other household chores, and I'm sure it's got easily over 200 hours by now. The engine is a Kohler Courage XT-7 (173cc) which has been every bit reliable as the pump, one pull start every time.

I've been expecting the cheap pump to go out for a LONG time now, so much so that I already know which one I'm getting to replace it with when the time comes. But the time never seems to come (knock on wood....)

I've had my Ryobi for 6 years and I use it about 2-3 times a week to wash my car for work and it still runs great. I also wash my aluminum siding on the 2nd floor, windows, eaves, bricks, porch, deck, metal gazebo, plastic shed and my A/C compressor at the end of the season.

That should be enough use well over the 23 hours.

Last edited:
I was looking on Craigslist for one. About 1/3rd had bad pumps or something else wrong....not the engine. So yeah, they are quite un-reliable.

Originally Posted by FastLane
Pumps are junk. My Ryobi 2800 psi is still going strong but I don't trust the pump. The Honda runs great.

Does your Ryobi make a high pitch whining sound when it's operating? Mine does and it's super annoying. My old Karcher which didn't last long was super quiet.

I would say it depends on how well you maintain and how you use the thing. If you take care not to let the thing sit there running while you spray down and scrub your house while the pump is recirculating water forever and getting hot, then you're likely to make your pump last a lot longer.

I've watched neighbors let their sit for several minutes just running away with no water flow while they do odds and ends before they start spraying again. Not great for pump longevity. Every time I stop spraying with mine I'll start a timer in my head and if I get to 20-30 seconds I'll make sure to spray water for a bit to make sure there's cooler water cycling through the pump.

My 2/100's of $1

Nope. It's quiet but when I use the soap nozzle it doesn't unload itself for a bit.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Pumps are junk. My Ryobi 2800 psi is still going strong but I don't trust the pump. The Honda runs great.

Does your Ryobi make a high pitch whining sound when it's operating? Mine does and it's super annoying. My old Karcher which didn't last long was super quiet.

Originally Posted by StevieC

My Black Max lasted about 10 years of fairly steady use year round washing cars. I dialed up a replacement pump this year on Fleabay and simply switched it out. Price was like $90....
One thing I did for mi e was get a QD for the pressure line. That way all I have to do is disconnect then roll it up. No more fighting the anaconda. It also assure there's no water stuck in the pump to freeze. I just tip it back and anything in there drains.

My plan is to eventually get a small unit from Northern Tool with a Honda engine and Cat pump.

Just reading the reliability of these off brand home owner grade units makes me wonder where their actual value is.

OP hit the nail on the head. There's many models out there on CL and FB Marketplace with running engines and broken pumps.

You get what you pay for. For business use, I would not buy consumer grade equipment.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
A friend owns a small HOA maintenance business and said he recently had a conversation with a power washer dealer regarding the longevity of the average homeowner-grade pressure washer such as Craftsman or Troy-Bilt.

According to my friend, the dealer told him they're rated only for 23 cumulative hours of use. Since many are equipped with proven small engines like Briggs and Stratton, I assumed this to mean the actual pumps. (This also jives with what I've seen in the secondary market: many fine running engines but pumps that are shot.)

Can anyone confirm? Heard anything similar? If that's the case, that is a very short return on a $300ish investment. Something doesn't add up. Surely, if you don't abuse it and change the pump oil, you can get more than 23 hours out of it.

That's a hosing! I'd say 100-200 hours depending on how it is cared for. The pump is the weak link, and people often forget to winterize the machine or take it in come winter. That will kill the pump in short order.

3 Q's:

1) Is LOCATING and INSTALLING a replacement pump as easy as some posters make it sound?

2) Where does one go to buy replacement pumps? (serious question, that)

3) What brands are good for: a) home use, say <$200 and b) Heavy Duty $200-$500?

Originally Posted by Lubener
You get what you pay for. For business use, I would not buy consumer grade equipment.

Yep. My belt drive commercial washer is over 20 years old. Still starts in the first pull.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott

That's a hosing! I'd say 100-200 hours depending on how it is cared for. The pump is the weak link, and people often forget to winterize the machine or take it in come winter. That will kill the pump in short order.

I'd say that the 23 hours is based on the average consumer that just opens the box and runs it while doing no maintenance. Most of the pressure washers I get in from customers have never had the engine oil changed, never mind the pump oil. When I bring up the pump saver spray that goes inside the pump for storage I usually get blank looks.

My parents bought an Excell homeowner grade pressure washer from Home Depot in 1998. My father changed the engine oil and pump oil every year and stored it in the basement. It had consistent use for every season except winter for various projects. I just replaced the pump on it last year because it seemed a bit weak, but was still functioning. Obviously this won't be the case with all of them, but maintenance goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back