Pressure washer pump oil.

bigd

I've got an old Craftsman 2100 psi pressure washer with a wobble pump. I had to replace the pump with a used one that's almost identical. I am unable to figure out what oil to put in the pump. There is no sight glass or fill port so I want to fill it before I install it. Any help thanks in advance.

What is your definition of a wobble pump? axial cam pump like this one? I've had this one for 7 years and took it apart to change the oil recently. I filled it with 75W90 and noticed the whole machine had less vibration and the pump was cooler to the touch after using than usual. I have serviced a lot of pressure washers and I've seen anything from SAE 30 non detergent to 15w40 detergent recommended for triplex pumps. I've also seen some older comet pumps with ATF in them.

Attachments

• 350350896_792387628882368_246848681051017561_n.jpg
    350350896_792387628882368_246848681051017561_n.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 30
The annovi reverberi pump I just pulled off mine just called for 90W gear oil. It got a 75W90. I just pulled it because there is something wrong with the unloader valve and I didn't have time to fix it and just replaced it with a chinesium one.

My opinion is that the extreme pressure additives in a GL5 might be better.

I have a PW with a an Faip pump and from my searching in the past this pump should take ND30. It requires disassembly like yours. Has anyone tried adding a drain screw/plug on housing on these type of cheap pumps ? The housing casting looks pretty thin, but maybe with a fine pitch thread it would work. I know these pumps are essentially throw-aways with a 50 hr life, but if oil changes can extend the life why not.

I have a PW with a an Faip pump and from my searching in the past this pump should take ND30. It requires disassembly like yours. Has anyone tried adding a drain screw/plug on housing on these type of cheap pumps ? The housing casting looks pretty thin, but maybe with a fine pitch thread it would work. I know these pumps are essentially throw-aways with a 50 hr life, but if oil changes can extend the life why not.
I have had one of these cheap throw away pumps on my little 2.5gpm pressure washer. I got it in 2013, changed the oil in the pump about every other year with gear oil. It has burned through many, many gallons of gas.

I have had one of these cheap throw away pumps on my little 2.5gpm pressure washer. I got it in 2013, changed the oil in the pump about every other year with gear oil. It has burned through many, many gallons of gas.
Do you remove the pump and head when you change the oil or do you just crack the bolts loose in place ,let the oil drain and refill through the breather? I am looking for a quick way to change the oil without misaligning/damaging anything.

Last edited:
Do you remove the pump and head when you change the oil or do you just crack the bolts loose in place and let the oil drain? I am looking for a quick way to change the oil without misaligning/damaging anything.
You are going to like this one. My 2.5gpm pump is so cheap it only has a fill plug. Have to pull the pump off the engine and tip it hole down to let all the oil run out.
Then when it's time to put oil back in I squirt about 3oz in it.

At least you have the fill plug, mine just has a breather. Maybe I can remove the pump and the breather, do the tilt and drain by going through the breather. The pump is similar to below without the fill plug.

Attachments

• faip_pump_pressurewasher.JPG
    faip_pump_pressurewasher.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
At least you have the fill plug, mine just has a breather. Maybe I can remove the pump and the breather, do the tilt and drain by going through the breather. The pump is similar to below without the fill plug.
I froze and busted one like that a long time ago. Run it, get it hot, I would break loose the breather, remove the pump from the engine, take the breather completely off turn it upside down, drain the oil out into a small container to observe how much oil came out. Refill with a similar amount of oil and oil type of your choosing. It will last a long time if you change the oil every 2 or 3 years.

Unfortunately rear seal (flange seal) is leaking and I have been adding oil, but won't know how much it holds. My notes from years ago say 4.5 ounces. I will be replacing the seal when I change the oil.

Back