Are there any cable techs here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations on the best type of coax splitters I can buy, for use with digital HDTV and cable internet.

At my last house, I had WOW Cable and the splitter they used was junk. I didn't get a good DB signal which made my picture stutter with my HDHomerun setup. Bought a BAMF one and it solved the issue. You can look at the DB signal on an HDHomerun set up and it was improved.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
At my last house, I had WOW Cable and the splitter they used was junk. I didn't get a good DB signal which made my picture stutter with my HDHomerun setup. Bought a BAMF one and it solved the issue. You can look at the DB signal on an HDHomerun set up and it was improved.

I guess that brings up a question -- Are all 2 way splitters with a 3.5db rating the same? I am currently using Antronix brand ones which supposedly are good.

You might need a signal booster/amplifier along with that splitter. That's what the Comcast tech ended up installing in my old house.

Here is a rough diagram of the current setup.

[Linked Image]

You can log into your cable modem and see its signal/noise ratio. This is more important than absolute signal level as long as you hit the minimum threshold. Since its at the end of a run it's a good example of what a twice-split signal looks like.

All splitters are at best -3.5 dB, as that mathematically explains the signal being cut in half. You want one with a frequency ceiling at or above 2 GHz.

I was a maintenance tech, then a headend tech, for Comcast for 39 years before retiring in 2016.

Most 2-way splitters will lose more like 4 to 4.4 dB at the higher frequencies where many cable modems have their downstream channels. Not that this is a killer, but your actual loss with 2 splitters in cascade is going to be 8-9 dB in the 500-600 MHz range, rather than the expected 7. (3.5 + 3.5)

Antronix is a very good brand, along with Regal and RMS,

Last edited:
If I remember right you'll also want to grab some F-type 75 ohm terminator caps for any open coax sockets not in use including any unused sockets on splitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back