2014 Durango ZF8 transmission fluid recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Durango 3.6 with 52K miles. I want to replace the fluid in the transmission but it calls for a special low viscosity oil. From mopar its 30$ a quart!! Ive seen people have decent luck with Valvoline maxlife as its Lifeguard fluid approved. Only other 2 LV fluids ive found are Redline D6 and Schaeffer Dex/Merc LV. Just looking for previous experiences or recommendations as to which fluid to go with. Thanks

Yeah ive looked into it. Not trying to badmouth Amsoil but i previously had bad luck with it and tend to stay clear from it. Just my personal preference.

Originally Posted by MoparMan12
Yeah ive looked into it. Not trying to badmouth Amsoil but i previously had bad luck with it and tend to stay clear from it. Just my personal preference.

Just your personal nonsense, more like it.

I have a 2014 Durango 3.6 with 52K miles. I want to replace the fluid in the transmission but it calls for a special low viscosity oil. From mopar its 30$ a quart!! Ive seen people have decent luck with Valvoline maxlife as its Lifeguard fluid approved. Only other 2 LV fluids ive found are Redline D6 and Schaeffer Dex/Merc LV. Just looking for previous experiences or recommendations as to which fluid to go with. Thanks

Go onto the ZF factory website and there you'll find what fluids you can use

Maxlife
smile.gif

Seeing as you don't want to run the Amsoil (I assume that goes for both their OE and Signature series ATF's that meet the ATF+4 specification),
Maxlife would be my next choice.

Last edited:
After having done this transmission service on my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the ZF 8HP70 transmission I can tell you this.

1. Do not fully remove the fill plug, make sure it turns before draining. Or fluid will pour out of the fill plug if removed, engine off.
2. Once drained you can now remove the fill plug.
3. The transmission will take around 2 quarts then start dribbling out, at this time you start the engine and put in the rest of the fluid.
4. Look up the procedure for checking the fluid level, need have trans temp 100-120*F with the engine running remove the fill plug.
5. Jeep/Dodge typically use a thermostat in the transmission cooler lines, recommend rechecking the fluid level a day after changing trans fluid, after it has accumulated 20-30 miles and been over the thermostat level of 168*F, then fully cooled, mine took two extra pumps of fluid, just under half a quart.

I used Maxlife fluid, took 5.5 quarts for a drain and fill, 8HP45 in your Durango may take 5 quarts, slightly smaller trans pan.

I'd recommend replacing the transmission pan at 100k, there's magnets inside the trans pan that are pretty gunked up by that point.

Last edited:

ZF Lifeguard 8 @ $22 / liter

https://www.thectsc.com/catalog/8-speed-62.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican

Go onto the ZF factory website and there you'll find what fluids you can use

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/lol-lubricants/lol-en/lol-te-ml-11-en.pdf

OP will see there is no alternative to LG8.

Perhaps no "licenced" alternative but others have had success with non licenced, suitable for use products. These are from large, brand name companies that clearly make licenced products but for what ever reason chose not to pay for and jump through the licencing hoops and somehow have a product that works and costs a fraction of the OEM.

ZF lifeguard 8!
So far among BMW, Audi owners Valvoline Maxlife proved OK. However, it si not like you are changing fluid every month. Get ZF8 and do not flush transmission.

Originally Posted by BrianF
Perhaps no "licenced" alternative but others have had success with non licenced, suitable for use products. These are from large, brand name companies that clearly make licenced products but for what ever reason chose not to pay for and jump through the licencing hoops and somehow have a product that works and costs a fraction of the OEM.

I understand what you're saying.

Looking at their "suitable for" approvals Valvoline is saying that this fluid meets both Shell M-1375.4 and Shell M-L12108.

In the ZF world that's Lifeguard 6 and Lifeguard 8 (Mercon SP and LV which Ford says is ok to mix) respectively. Both fluids have very similar physical characteristics.

Last edited:
I used Maxlife in my ZF-8. It performed better than factory fluid. A lot better than the Chrysler "certified techs" whom stated anything but ZF-8 will cause failure. Also stated tech's said as a tech they would void the warranty. Not recommended warranty void. I guess Chyrsler techs don't like paid work and non Chrysler employees determine what Chrysler will warranty.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I used Maxlife in my ZF-8. It performed better than factory fluid. A lot better than the Chrysler "certified techs" whom stated anything but ZF-8 will cause failure. Also stated tech's said as a tech they would void the warranty. Not recommended warranty void. I guess Chyrsler techs don't like paid work and non Chrysler employees determine what Chrysler will warranty.

Well dealers won't warranty work which used non-OE parts/fluid in anycase this ATF marketing is just annoying.

It makes you wonder why Shell would even bother with a new ATF spec if it's essentially the same as a current spec.

I think it's time BITOG did a Q&A with a Shell Rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back