2017 4Runner 4.0 5W30? 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys im new to toyota and this engine and i wanted to get some info
i am curious to know what you guys have been running in your 4runner 4.0 ENGINE, manual states 0w20 in usa but then says in other part of the world you can use 0w20, 5w20, 5w30 10w30? im sure the engine is 100% the same here and there. just curious to get some opinions on running say a 5w30 in this 4.0 engine vs the 0w20? i doubt it would cause any damage considering toyota stays you can run 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dedonderosa
only asking because i have a large stock of 5w30 synthetic oil

Use it after you warranty has run out. Any warranty issue that can be put off for any reason will be.

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
thanks guys ill stick to the manual for now

mods please delete thread

Why? Someone else might want to see this answer. It'll be saved for posterity's sake.

There's been a time or two that I've had a question. I do a quick search find the answer... sometimes I already asked it a year ago!

Never hadf a 0w320 engine last more than 50K miles on a big 4 cylinder. Wife or me.

Id go by noise and power. If its too noisy - start subbing some Xw30 in the sump. and dont wait till every thing is pounded.

If at 500 miles you hear bad racket dump 2 quarts, add new filter and in with the 2 fresh qts 30 grade.

OMG! Stop with the manual!

Originally Posted by 2017 4Runner manual

An oil with a higher viscosity
(one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is
operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Originally Posted by same manual

ïµ For Puerto Rico
"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use
Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy
the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade:
0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30:
API grade SL "Energy-Conserving", SM "Energy-Conserving" or SN
"Resource-Conserving"; or ILSAC multigrade engine oil
15W-40:
API grade SL, SM or SN multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity (SAE):
If you use SAE 10W-30 or a
higher viscosity engine oil in
extremely low temperatures,
the engine may become difficult
to start, so SAE 0W-20, 5W-20
or 5W-30 engine oil is recommended.

The manual is a vague as can be, it basically says 0w20 for best economy or ANYTHING ELSE is you don't just use the car for groceries. So yes, read the manual.

17 4R manual

Last edited:
I'm running 0w20 in my 3.5 litre which is the same engine as yours but just slightly smaller. We both have the Direct/Port Injected D4-S series engine.

We also have similar weather where you are located and where I'm located.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I'm running 0w20 in my 3.5 litre which is the same engine as yours but just slightly smaller. We both have the Direct/Port Injected D4-S series engine.

No, the 1gr-fe found in the 4Runner is not direct injected.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
Originally Posted by StevieC

No, the 1gr-fe found in the 4Runner is not direct injected.

My apologies I was thinking Tacoma. You are right.

Last edited:
OP you're totally fine using your stockpile of 5w-30. You are correct that the US engine is built the same as the engine for other countries.

Originally Posted by Cup of Joe
I live at altitude and tow with mine during the summer so I choose to run 10W-30 synthetic in my 2015 4runner.

I will be at altitude soon also and am considering 10w-30 for mine. What are your winter low temps and any starting issues when really cold?

Sure you can run 5W-30. It won't blow up.

0W-20 won't blow up either. Choose your fav brand and run it. As your manual states: 0W-20 through 10W-30 is suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back