Don't buy a new 2019 Jetta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother in law recently purchased a new 2019 model year VW Jetta. This is the first year of the MKVII cycle, brand new from the ground up. Unfortunately that's not always a good thing, they are having some teething issues, specifically with the new 8 speed Aisin transmission. When lightly - moderately accelerating some have reported the transmission makes a grinding / whooshing noise around 24-30 mph. I frequent VW Vortex and there are no small number of people reporting this issue. The other day I spoke to my mother in law and she mentioned this issue, I told her about all the reports I had read to let her know it was in fact an issue.

I told her to take it to the dealer to at least have the issue documented. They ended up test driving it and confirming the noise, then drove two other Jettas on the lot which also made the same noise. They called VW tech support who ended up telling them it was a normal characteristic of this transmission, which is NOT THE CASE. Shame on VW for "handling" this issue this way. So they ended up sending her on her way. I told her to call corporate to file a case and see what they will do.

I just wanted to let the BITOG crowd know about this issue, and recommend you wait to purchase a new Jetta equipped with the 8 speed auto until this issue is resolved.

images-1.jpeg

I thought they had a good thing going with the 6 speed before? Just trying to squeak every little bit of mpg out of it I guess.

I don't like the 8 speed in my grandfather's 14' Grand Cherokee. Although he bought it used so maybe it's not so healthy.

Heard nothing but bad about the new Jetta...

Makes me sad because I like it! Hope they get it turned around quick....

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I thought they had a good thing going with the 6 speed before? Just trying to squeak every little bit of mpg out of it I guess.

I don't like the 8 speed in my grandfather's 14' Grand Cherokee. Although he bought it used so maybe it's not so healthy.

I thought so too. We have the 6 speed AISIN 09G in our 2014 and it seems to be pretty solid. Nice quick shifts, very responsive and good tuning for both MPG and fun to drive factor.

Originally Posted by NO2
All the more reason to stick with an MT.

Not necessarily, the manuals in the previous and current models don't have a track record of reliability.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Heard nothing but bad about the new Jetta...

Makes me sad because I like it! Hope they get it turned around quick....

I haven't heard anything bad other than some issues with the sunroof and the transmission issue. I hope they resolve it because this would be a solid choice for our next car. Might have to be a Golf, unless they drop this 8 speed in that too.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
The FWD Aisin 8 speed in my Volvo sucked too.

How so?

buying a VW is wrong move generally; in EU market yes, on this side of the pond, stay away

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
The FWD Aisin 8 speed in my Volvo sucked too.

How so?

It was a jerky mess. TCM was updated twice with no change.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

That is 5 years old now. The 8 speed ZF is generally well liked and its in some higher end cars as well.

The 9speed ZF was hated on quite abit. I disliked my 2017 and it was loads better than a 2014 model
The 2019 zf 9 speed is actually not bad at all... although my 19 cherokee has a much higher torque engine so that might help it out.

I think some of the dislike comes from the more frequent shifting.. but if you have 8(or 9) gears its obv. going to shift alot more than 4 or even 6.

The OP's issue sounds like some sort of enormous engineering flop.. somewhere between design and calibration/programming.

Last edited:
We own two ZF 8 speeds (Charger and Durango), which I think are the best transmissions I've owned. They don't hunt and are quick shifting and smooth after about 25,000 miles.

Originally Posted by miden851
buying a VW is wrong move generally; in EU market yes, on this side of the pond, stay away

We love our 2014 Jetta SE. Better driving characteristics than the competition, more space, great MPG and we prefer the styling as it is simple, classy and will age well. We even prefer it to the new Jetta.

Consider that new VW's now come with a full bumper-to-bumper warranty (transferable too!) of 6 years or 72k miles, the best in the world.
So if this tranny quits or exhibits problems in that long period, you can get an improved one. Or maybe it'll be just a software fix, we don't know.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Consider that new VW's now come with a full bumper-to-bumper warranty (transferable too!) of 6 years or 72k miles, the best in the world.
So if this tranny quits or exhibits problems in that long period, you can get an improved one. Or maybe it'll be just a software fix, we don't know.
Yeah, but what if it never dies under warranty and they keep brushing aside the problem (as they are now) and you've got to live with the thing the whole time?

Betta Getta Jetta. Notice the tv commercials only seem to promote the stereo and the speakers...

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

Yes, this makes the new ones even more enticing. However, it shouldn't be something to fall back on due to poor quality to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back