Bitcoins,,,they are suppose to be the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I see is that these bans are going to be rather difficult to enforce. It's one thing for a government to pull $1000 denominations out of circulation, but in a country with anything resembling a free internet (or simply enough clever people), this will be hard to regulate.

Note that Bitcoin was a common medium of exchange for the Silk Road dark web site, and its ilk. People were buying and selling illicit items all over the place and purchasing illegal services. Those people are probably the most perturbed with the volatility in the Bitcoin market right now.

Of course, the efficacy of any ban is going to depend what goods and services can be bought by Bitcoin. If Canada were to ban Bitcoin trading tomorrow, for instance, and Bitcoin ATMs disappeared, that's one thing. But, if I can buy goods from an American site, or buy streaming TV from the UK with Bitcoins, that ban becomes difficult to enforce in those cases, unless Canada chooses to firewall us from the internet like North Korea; well, perhaps the Chinese model is sufficient, but I'd be skeptical.

Bitcoin instability plays into the hands of the banks. The article posted by Drew does cover a lot of the criticisms, but gives way too short a shrift to some of the benefits that people seek. If I use my credit card to buy something from the States, which I do often enough, the credit card company doesn't exactly give me a fair exchange rate, and then they charge me a fee for the privilege of paying extra for American dollars, on top of it.

If it were possible to stabilize the Bitcoin or something similar, or peg its value to that of a major currency and be able to trust and rely on its value, I suspect the banking sector would be defecating bricks, and doing everything they could to make it difficult for people to do business with cryptocurrency clearing houses.

Quote:
The bitcoin rage is supposed to be the new money highway to making millions,,anyone got any infor,,there is plenty on youtube, Amazon is looking at it so we can pay for our stuff.

And how is the "money highway" looking these days?

Honest question.

I know how my AMZN, GOOGL, BA, FB, V and others are doing, just wondering who here has made any money on Bitcoin?

Agree Garak, it will never be able to ban bit coin, there will always be countries that allow free trade and those will be the power house countries for the currency.

We are free human beings and all it takes is an internet connection.
Big banks who have people enslaved will increase enormous pressure on politicians to curtail it, as bit coin can replace the banking industry, just like Amazon replaced the retail industry.
The country that hosts and encourages will be the winners. The wild card will be countries themselves issuing their own bitcoins ... its starting to happen already.

Just like the Tech companies of decades ago, no one knows which will last and which will not.
AS any stock, more risk = more reward OR huge loss.
No different then digging for oil or gold.

Last edited:
Well, we have to see how it turns out. I'd be a lot happier with the idea if the Bitcoin were more stable. As was pointed out before, anyone who bought something even the price of a coffee with Bitcoin a few years back would be kicking themselves right now. But, I don't "want" Bitcoin to be an investment or a gamble. I like the idea of a medium of exchange that crosses borders relatively easily. Like I said, I'm never too pleased to order things from the States, pay my credit card company an obscene rate of exchange, then pay them an extra fee for that privilege, too. That I still come out ahead tells you how expensive things can be up here, but that's a matter for another thread.

I really wonder how effective China's ban will be. I'm thinking not nearly as effective as they intend it to be. People they have tasked with hacking activities will have zero problems with conducting Bitcoin transactions, I suspect. Now, if they can't convert them to some other currency, that could be problematic.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Quote:
The bitcoin rage is supposed to be the new money highway to making millions,,anyone got any infor,,there is plenty on youtube, Amazon is looking at it so we can pay for our stuff.

And how is the "money highway" looking these days?

Honest question.

I know how my AMZN, GOOGL, BA, FB, V and others are doing, just wondering who here has made any money on Bitcoin?

For my IRA this year, it was all Amazon stock.

Amazon is the future of shopping especially with drones in the future delivering boxes.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Anduril
Not in Bitcoin anymore but I'm making decent money with the "alts." Threw $750 at one that was being pump-and-dumped and cashed out $1,000 an hour later. Needed a new phone
smile.gif

One of my investments is up 300% and overall I'm up 200% since mid-November.

how about now?

No updates?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Steady decline since mid Dec 2017.

https://charts.bitcoin.com/chart/price

As I watch Kramer (Mad Money) tonight with my wife and discuss our portfolio - I just wonder how the Bitcoin advocates are doing...

$6,765 is the value of a Bitcoin today.

So - if I had rolled my portfolio into the "money-making highway of the future", back when the Bitcoin threads started on BITOG, in late DEcember, 2017, and the advocates were touting the future, and suggesting that all investments have equal risk, I would've lost, well, an amount that would exceed 5 years of my gross annual salary...

Since I'm up by a considerable amount (Thank you AMZN, FB, GOOGL, AA, BA, CAT and others) - I'm wondering if folks are still willing to make this point:

"Your (sic) wrong on all counts and clearly do not understand what investing is about and your certainly no expert on what classifies as an investment nor do you understand cryptocurrency."

I have a friend who is still buying it. He's only buying $50-$100 at a time. I'm not really sure I see the point. I think he has 1-2k in it now. Even if it shoots up 10x, 10-20k isn't really enough to retire on. I suppose he's just treating it as a stock and is dollar cost averaging.

I thought there was pretty limited upside when it was at $700. They were just starting with the dedicated miners. Now it seems the lowest cost of mining is about 2k per coin so if it ever fell below that, it'd be interesting to see how long people hold on. I think some miners have costs that are much higher and even though they're losing money, they're keeping their rigs running which just means the difficulty level will keep increasing making it less profitable for all.

It seems to me it's like a box that's slowly shrinking as the coins are all mined. At a certain point when all the coins are mined, it would seem that would be when all the miners are crushed although there's still money to be made verifying transactions. As the box shrinks, it should slowly squeeze out marginal players. Some I'm sure are already crushed, they're just hoping for a pop in price to bail them out.

Astro, you should have gotten into mining years ago when the difficulty level was much lower. You get free electricity in a hotel room! Although I've never seen an electrical panel in a hotel room, wonder how much of a pain it would have been to pop a circuit while mining.

Originally Posted By: Audios
The US dollar is also backed by virtually nothing, just the faith that its worth a dollar and that the fed can pay. Id highly recommend anyone to get in for now, take a chance with 100, 1000, 10000 and see how it pays off. As it goes with any investments, invest only what you can afford to lose. This is like the internet before everyone know what it was all about. I firmly believe its going to be everywhere. Also the big boys are involved, the stock market is trading bitcoin futures, and there is sepculation that they are responsible for the massive swings that have been seen in the past two weeks. Also Bitcoin is trading at 15.5k right now, which is up 6k since the beginning of the month, the swings are typical of this volatile time, but its always big gains if you hold out for a while and pay attention. When I started buying in, May of this year, Bit was at 1500, Ether was 70, and Litecoin was roughly 15.

Are you still investing in Bitcoin ?

The speculation is the biggest problem. That wasn't the original intent. The PayPal guy claiming it has "no value" as a payment method is talking from a conflicting position. Setting aside speculation, which I reiterate has ruined everything, Bitcoin and its ilk were used as alternative payment methods, just like PayPal.

People trying to make a bunch of money off of Bitcoin speculation is clearly problematic, not only introducing risk to the speculators, but damaging the credibility of the cryptocurrency in the first place. Someone trying to create an alternative and relatively anonymous payment method, however, is perfectly understandable and fair.

Unfortunately, not everyone has a credit card or even a bank account, and at one time, prepaid credit cards didn't exist, and we still in North America don't have all the same online payment options that Europe has. So, there certainly was and is a demand for an alternate method of payment.

Garak - I agree that Bitcoin serves as an alternative method of payment. No argument there..

But here was the opening thesis of the thread:

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Money highway to millions...

I’m not the only one who took issue with that foolishness.

Last edited:
Yep, unfortunately, that investment idea (while at least intriguing) always bothered me. The other unfortunate thing is that new ideas and new technologies always have unintended consequences, and this speculation and notion of investment was one of them. When I first read about it, with some of the literature out there before Bitcoin itself actually started, I thought it was a great idea: Something secure and that could be converted at select, private ATMs, at least in large cities, enabling people without real credit to buy things online without falling prey to the ridiculous fees that reloadable or preloaded credit cards charge.

Now, it's been perverted to the point that using them as a method of payment (unless absolutely unavoidable) is less attractive then using bullion as a medium of exchange! It's fine for the guys that made money, or even just enjoy speculation, but a medium of exchange that fluctuates wildly while the ordinary currency is stable isn't so useful.

Some people got rich if they got in early and rode the wave up and got out before it crashed. Just like investing into some "hot" stock that increases in price like mad, then crashes out - only Bitcoin was on steroids. Typical risky investing.

Cryptos are speculation and bubble for sure.

Like gold rush, speculators are looking for cheap electricity, cheap equipment (or design their own chips to mine faster than GPU), and switch between mining themselves and selling their equipment / holding to others, pretty much the same way as a gold rush, tulip mania, South Sea, etc.

It does contribute to cheap electricity and affordable data center site discovery, like gold rush contributed to the development of denim and blue jeans, steam shovel, etc, that contributed to the Panama Canal construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back