Bitcoins,,,they are suppose to be the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect everyone except maybe one person is clueless on the concept that Bitcoin is based on. Its it cybercurrency based on a type of blockchain system that will..no question change the face of currency in the not too distant future. Currencies will no longer probably be regulated or manipulated by governments.

MIT is heavy into it by developing something called "TradeCoin" which they hope will me more controlled and stable.

If any are TRULY interested in the concept, there is a pretty Good article in Jan 2018 Scientific American.

Like it or not its going to change the world..and maybe not for the better...which SA implies.

If you are not inclined to buy the mag. just google "Reasons why bitcoin is here to stay" or something like it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Who cares about the energy except that it makes a great fake news story.
In contrast, the banking industry uses far more energy then bitcoin ever can.
No negativity directed at you, Im just in amazement the stuff the media sells as "news"

AS far as the meaning of speculation and investing, well, that would be in the eyes of the beholder.

Of COURSE we should care how much energy, how much extraction of natural resources goes into making....absolutely nothing.

I don't get your high horse objection to bringing it up...it's a fact, huge energy is burned to perform useless calculations to prove that the effort has been made to create one.

Could have the processing going towards SETI, Cancer cures, whatever and be productive...that just ain't.

and what's "fake" about the news ?

edit...and how many people USE the banking industry to do their business and daily lives...Bit coin offers absolutely ZERO of the services that the banking industry provides

To be fair though, the only reason the energy usage is so high is because there are so many miners and a fixed number of coins that get released. If the miners went away, then the energy usage would go down.

Oh yes, that's a fact...
But it's inherent in what bitcoin is...the mining part of it. When the price is high, you can afford huge energy bills from archaic Chinese power plants that should be shut down to mine them.

Bank Buildings and its infrastructure as well as all related industries will and always will use far more energy then bitcoin.
Its a pointless case and people with knowledge of the blockchain understand that Bitcoin is just a tiny part of the whole technology and very well maybe extinct like the first Edison Electric light bulb was.

It had to start someplace and Bitcoin was the RECOGNIZED name that the public identifies with but it is NOT by any means the most efficient and there are literally many other ways the new coins not commonly talked about are the equal of the LED light bulb compared to the Edison light bulb.
Or a 1950s automobile compared to a 2018 automobile.

You wont see the press reporting real news on how inefficient traditional banking is compared to efficient upstarts like Ripple.
Im actually happy about that. Some will understand why.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I think the logical problem with alarmguys view is that his idealistic view of bitcoin is not matching real usage.

It is like how bittorrent apologists will always try to example that it's for distribution of indie this or that, but if you were to look at usage statistics,like 99%+ of bittorrent traffic is just to pirate copyrighted media.

Hmmm .. Here you go, click and scroll down to the bottom of the page

Your wrong on all counts and clearly do not understand what investing is about and your certainly no expert on what classifies as an investment nor do you understand cryptocurrency.

In fairness, I'd suggest that Astro's mathematical background is within the top five of all users on the board, so I expect he would understand the algorithms behind cryprotcurrency better than most of us.

Personally, I have no problem with Bitcoins and the like. As far as these matters go, it's no surprise they developed, given restrictions on cash and people wanting more control and/or privacy over finance. The problem is that it really shouldn't be an investment or something to speculate on. Speculation has ruined things in a few respects.

Originally Posted By: raysteng
I think the logical problem with alarmguys view is that his idealistic view of bitcoin is not matching real usage.

This. It's not something I could say, use realistically right now, to buy something online as a medium of exchange. I can get a prepaid Mastercard in Canadian funds, and buy stuff online. I can get some American dollars, and while there are fluctuations, $100 Canadian converted to U.S. isn't going to very likely be worth $3000 or $1 in a few weeks. I can put $20 into my Playstation wallet, and even there, I can be relatively confident it's still $20 next week. With Bitcoin, the idea was for that security to be there. In reality, that hasn't panned out. Stability is essential, and no one wants to be involved in a currency that's fluctuating by 20% a day.

Obviously there are two prongs here. Most here are railing against the bitcoin investment. Time will tell. Absolutely no one in the world has any reliable clu as to where an investment in Company "A" will go. But Its not rocket science that Cryptocurrency will ultimately rule the planet (for good or evil).

Neither I nor alarmguy is suggesting that Bitcoin is a good investment "NOW" but for those that invested when it was $.1 and went to $15,000...does anyone heere want to suggest that was not a good investment. I believe alarmguy compared this coming wave to moving from the horse to the car. For those that doubt..."hide and watch"

If told in 1960 that credit card transactions would far outstrip cash transactioins...many here would be beside themselves.

Last edited:
Your not really understanding cryptocurrency and its development, as most in this thread are not.
Your looking at one perspective of one currency and squeezing it into what you currently do with a credit card.

Its a budding system, very much in its youth and in a few years everyone will understand its place in the world, much like they did when computers came out, dial up internet, high speed internet.
Gosh I remember over TWO DECADES ago ordering and buying stuff on the INTERNET, people thought I was NUTS.
Same here ...

Fact is, its a new paradigm and the ones who see outside the box are the ones benefiting. Much like the tech boom.
The big banks, every bank, is already in on the blockchain technology, meaning, they are aware of it and exploring how to implement it in order to survive and the biggest of the biggest banks are already in on it.

Most are comfortable not going outside the box and that is ok but to read some comments in here, (not you) trashing people like me because of my thoughts is annoying since they have no idea what they are talking about.
One of them is the massive energy claims needed to mine bitcoins, they take what the press tells them and unable to reason on their own.

Did they ask themselves how much energy and RESOURCES it takes to print ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD? vs digital money?
When the press was saying mining uses more energy then all of the country of New Zealand, did they ask themselves how many people live in New Zealand? *LOL* of course not and the press knows it, people just suck it up, less then 5 million people live there.

Did they ask themselves why the "press" in that story about New Zealand did not tell us how much it cost for the entire world to print paper money and metal coins AND how much energy it uses maintaining all those bank buildings? No of course not...
Did the press explain that the very newest coins are much, much more efficient, in fact, banks can transfer funds among each other now in seconds instead of days using blockchain vs wire transfers. Wire transfers are truly the equal of the old "dial up" internet connection. (for the young who do not know what it is goodle it)

Just having fun here, I just cant help it, reading posts based on fake news stories.
One top of everything else, talking about one coin/ Bitcoin vs all the others.

Here is a fact, its here, its here to stay, its going to be a part of everyones life some day. Its already part of some major financial institutions and trust me, they are working day and night trying to get in on it and CONTROL it before the institutions become irrelevant themselves.

As far as an "investment" not for everyone, high risk but no different then MANY high risk.
The risk isnt going to be if cryptocurrency survives, the risk is who is going to be the leaders and who will become irrelivant. Just like ANY new life changing technology, dating back to the invention of Television.

Ok, over and out on this subject. ... :eek:) Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Your not really understanding cryptocurrency and its development, as most in this thread are not.

Actually, I do. I followed it from day one. I do see outside the box; it's that speculation is causing problems right now. It is viable as a currency, provided there's some stability. And yes, I'm well aware that mainstream media and mainstream banking are way, way overblowing the disadvantages in the Bitcoin system.

Last edited:
Not in Bitcoin anymore but I'm making decent money with the "alts." Threw $750 at one that was being pump-and-dumped and cashed out $1,000 an hour later. Needed a new phone
smile.gif

One of my investments is up 300% and overall I'm up 200% since mid-November.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anduril
Not in Bitcoin anymore but I'm making decent money with the "alts." Threw $750 at one that was being pump-and-dumped and cashed out $1,000 an hour later. Needed a new phone
smile.gif

how about now?

Originally Posted By: Anduril
smile.gif

Wait, you made $250 on a trade, and then...

Spent it?

That’s not investing...that’s just fooling around...

Parts of this thread remind me of an old Steve Martin bit...trying to impress people at parties...

“Yeah, I make a lot of money...I bought cardboard at 14 cents a ton...and it’s up to what, 16 now? And I bought three tons of it...so that’s, well...you can figure it out. And I’ve got a special deal, I only have to keep two tons of it at my house...”

Last edited:
Its a funny thing in here, many, not all will get into verbal fist fights over oil filters, but won't spend a dime on their education to make a decent living ...

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Its a funny thing in here, many, not all will get into verbal fist fights over oil filters, but won't spend a dime on their education to make a decent living ...

I think that’s close to the point that I was trying to make...that education, real education, which includes reading, learning, and doing, is required before investing.

Buying the latest hot thing isn’t education, it’s following the fad, and among the most certain of ways to get burned in the long run...

Once you have a better understanding of what investing, as art, as science, actually is, it becomes easier to spot the foolish bets, the wild sales pitches, and the hype.

Bob Brinker (to whom I’ve listened since the early 90s) used to refer to the books on his recommended reading list (which are available at your local library, as well as Amazon, and so represent an unbiased recommendation) as “Shark Repellent” - predicated on the certainty that the world of finance is full of sharks...

Here is a great article about why investing in Bitcoin is very risky. The gist of it: blockchain is here to stay, revolutionary, and in use in many industries including finance not associated with cryptocurrency. But crypto currency as it stands currently is stupid and has no value - you can't create more Bitcoin, but you can create more cryptocurrencies.

http://www.themoneycommando.com/quick-analysis-investing-bitcoin-stupid/

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Looks like it's rolling over

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/inv...7d51adca46fa29d

Quote:
Mr Park said he could not disclose details but would jointly work with a government task force to shut down virtual currency exchanges in South Korea, which is one of the world’s biggest markets for the likes of bitcoin and ethereum.

The news sent crypto markets into free fall, with bitcoin down 14 per cent to $US12,845, ethereum down 10 per cent to $US1190 and ripple down more than 17 per cent to $US1.66 at the time of writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back