Bitcoins,,,they are suppose to be the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thastinger
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
It's basically a currency not backed by anything but people's belief that it is worth something.

Same as the USD once we left the gold standard in 73...just another fiat currency.

Except the US government will do whatever it takes to ensure that the USD has value. What will the Bitcoin folks do?
The ONLY reason it has any value is because it can be converted into real currency. Cut that off and it's valueless.

Last edited:
Buy low, sell high.
Bitcoin took a dip because owners/investors sold off their bitcoins. Now with fresh cash they bought back even more at the lower price and will wait for the next spike to sell again.
You can pay with bitcoin for some transactions.
A few large international corporations use bitcoin in addition to currency.
You can't use bitcoin in China but they mine a majority of it there.
The odds of bitcoin value being artificially manipulated for higher value are probably generously higher than regular currency.
Don't gamble what you can't afford to lose.
Don't know who said it, "Bulls and bears make money, pigs get slaughtered".

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
China banned bitcoin a while ago.

In what way was it banned? Various news stories have touched upon how big (well, relatively speaking) Bitcoin mining is in China.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
The ONLY reason it has any value is because it can be converted into real currency. Cut that off and it's valueless.

Of course, that applies to very many things in the world.

well despite the face value risks, a bigger risk is completely unregulated without the consumer protections that you may have taken for granted with other securities you may be trying to compare with.
insider trading? not illegal. the exchange you were using was "robbed" or was a complete scam to begin with? too bad. You can deposit but can't withdraw your money to fiat until "later" that's on you to take thst risk.

You should be imagining all the related companies could be run by bernie madoff except with no penalty from the rule of law.

Last edited:
Its a risky investment for sure and someone here posted it perfectly, "its only worth what someone else will pay for it" and that pretty much goes for anything.

One thing for sure, its here to stay, just keep in mind, bitcoin is only a small part of it, as of right now, its considered the standard by which all other coins are measured.
For me personally, out of the many, many digital coins out there, there are better choices and being diversified is a better option since at this point Bitcoin has increase in value so much.

My personal belief is these coins, the good ones, truly help the "little" guy.

It scares the heck out of banks and money institutions and some governments because they can not control what you do and they are not the middle man taking a slice of what you spend or save.

These coins were "invented" to be a world currency that could not be controlled by Wall Street banks, money managers and governments of repressive countries.

They truly to help the little guy control his/her own money, I see nothing wrong with that and if people would research it, they would see they were given a gift.

Its driving Wall Street NUTs, all the banks NUTS, the little guy won this battle, countless million airs born without the banks being the middleman, and again, it allows people in impoverished repressive countries to be free from that repression.

(todays thoughts :eek:)

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: thastinger
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
It's basically a currency not backed by anything but people's belief that it is worth something.

Same as the USD once we left the gold standard in 73...just another fiat currency.

Except the US government will do whatever it takes to ensure that the USD has value. What will the Bitcoin folks do?

itguy08,

You nailed it with what you said.

Most likely many in here waste over 1000 bucks a year on beer and cigarettes, so instead of drinking up or smoking your lungs out,,, try something else...example.

ADD TO WATCHLIST
AMZN
Amazon.com Inc
1,176.76 +0.72%
View Watchlist
Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN
AMZN
Amazon.com Inc
+0.72%
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN 1997 Amazon....
) shares breached $1,000 in after-hour trading as the company reported its Q3 2017 earnings. In over 20 years since its initial public offering (IPO), the Amazon stock was not always the hot commodity that it today. When Amazon first went public in 1997, its stock was priced at just $18 per share.

From that modest beginning, the online retail giant has seen its stock skyrocket, despite a rocky period during the dot-com crash. In fact, if you had invested just $100 in Amazon's IPO, that investment would have been worth nearly $49,781.62 by close October 26, 2017, not adjusted for reinvested dividends.

when you say worth it it inplies you are doing a valuation against some other metric.

If you believe the market is an efficient market then is exactly "worth it" since the market has priced in all factors.

Generally if you feel the market has got it wrong and you think the company will outperform the general market feeling, that is what means it is worth more than the market price. If you have insider knowledge that others do not have this will give you an edge. However, be advised that the market may have priced things with the most agressive view and not the average view.

If you are using a different metric then that is what worth it means to you. Many value investors use financials such as the p/e ratio to evaluate intrinsic worth which compared to growth valuation.

Another aspect is the risk. If you had a jar with 2 balls 1black 1white and if you pick the white ball you double your money. Now consider if there was 3 balls and you triple your money if you pick the right one. Both situations have same expected value or worth, but the risk is different. There is an investment term called beta, review that as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
You do realize a week before that it was sub 10k?

That correction was needed. Too many people buying in at the moment with no idea of what it does.

Doesn't matter to me. If it continues like it has for another 41 days, I'll never work again in my life.

Not bad for an initial $63 investment.
I have been reading online other testimonies like yours..some folks just put in maybe 50, or 500 bucks,, it is working, why not do it..I waste 50 bucks a month on junk food, fast food, and impulse stuff...

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Its a risky investment for sure and someone here posted it perfectly, "its only worth what someone else will pay for it" and that pretty much goes for anything.

One thing for sure, its here to stay, just keep in mind, bitcoin is only a small part of it, as of right now, its considered the standard by which all other coins are measured.
For me personally, out of the many, many digital coins out there, there are better choices and being diversified is a better option since at this point Bitcoin has increase in value so much.

It scares the heck out of banks and money institutions and some governments because they can not control what you do and they are not the middle man taking a slice of what you spend or save.

These coins were "invented" to be a world currency that could not be controlled by Wall Street banks, money managers and governments of repressive countries.

They truly to help the little guy control his/her own money, I see nothing wrong with that and if people would research it, they would see they were given a gift.

Its driving Wall Street NUTs, all the banks NUTS, the little guy won this battle, countless million airs born without the banks being the middleman, and again, it allows people in impoverished repressive countries to be free from that repression.

Well...you sound a lot like the Beanie Baby collectors that knew, just knew! That they were going up in value. You know, the people who couldn’t believe that I let my kids actually play with these “rare, collectible, investments”.

And a decade or two later, those “investors” are broke, I’ve got a portfolio of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds, and my kids enjoyed playing with the Beanie Babies.

Ever hear of the Tulip Mania?

South Sea company?

Yeah...thought so...

Many people did not believe in the Wright Brothers either,,, so if bitcoin fails, so be it,,,some said the same about Amazon, Sam Walton, and so on,, we never know...

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Many people did not believe in the Wright Brothers either,,, so if bitcoin fails, so be it,,,some said the same about Amazon, Sam Walton, and so on,, we never know...

The problem is that it's hard to predict the end of the bubble when you're in the bubble, you only see it when you're outside.

It's sorta like a Ponzi/pyramid scheme now, those that get in early will make out, those at the end will lose it all. The question is where is the end, will it be soon or a few years from now.

Remember, it was the shoe shine boys giving stock tips that was the clue that the stock market was going to collapse in the 1920's. Who are the shoeshine boys in the bitcoin era?

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

None of those examples are germane to the Bitcoin discussion. It’s pure speculation. Those were companies and people.

This is a currency, backed only by what someone else is willing to pay. That might be more, or it might be a lot less.

It’s gambling.

Not investing.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

This is a currency, backed only by what someone else is willing to pay. That might be more, or it might be a lot less.

It’s gambling.

Not investing.

I suppose you could say that about everything in a socalled "free market economy". My son is up around 300k even after the drop-on an initial investment of $600 so...as he says "I am playing with the houses money-I am fine with whatever happens" Now understand that although 300K is not chump change for him-neither is it that big a deal. So is it an "investment or gambling"? With Book values and eps what they are in the market: Is that "gambling or investing"? (in the market). You tell me. Not really trying to pick an argument.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Well...you sound a lot like the Beanie Baby collectors that knew, just knew! That they were going up in value. You know, the people who couldn’t believe that I let my kids actually play with these “rare, collectible, investments”.

And a decade or two later, those “investors” are broke, I’ve got a portfolio of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds, and my kids enjoyed playing with the Beanie Babies.

Ever hear of the Tulip Mania?

South Sea company?

Yeah...thought so...

People who won millions in the lottery are broke, people who invest in traditional stocks are broke, people who invest in anything are broke.
Then ... there are the winners.
Who wins are only those, who cash out of their investments. The investments are worth nothing until cashed in for currency.

Good news is, people are free to choose what they want to invest in, if someone invests in ANYTHING they should know they are taking a risk.
HIGH RISK = equals high returns.
LOW RISK = lower returns.
Some people have money to put in high risk investments, EVEN ON WALL STREET. With Bitcoins they do not need Wall Street or the Banks to invest and it scares the heck our of them.

Cryptocurrency has changed the world forever, just like the internet did back in the early 1990s. No going back and no one is going to stop it.
South Korean banks are already using/experimenting with "Ripples" to transfer funds to Banks in Japan.
Instead of three days for companies and banks to wire and exchange funds or make payments by wiring funds on deals and transactions between countries, they can use Ripples and the transaction takes 2 TO 3 SECONDS, compared to 2 TO 3 days the old fashion way of wiring funds.
South Korea second largest bank is going to start allowing people to keep accounts with cryptocurrency.

When anything is new there is a HUGE risk, no different then investing in a NEW company or NEW property or investing in anything new. 75% of the time the new business will fail, the others will make money and a few select will hit it big.

Cryptocurrency is no different, well it is, it has world recognition and there will be MANY losers and a few big winners.
We are individual adults and can make up our own mind what to invest in and how much money we are willing to lose if it doesnt work out, no different then any other risky investment such as a start up new business where the failure rate is incredibly high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back