New vehicle (s) needed please inform on current CVT’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a bit of a lag up front when you press the gas pedal, beyond that no complains; btw, we love 26mpgs its returning on a regular basis

How many CVTs have made it to 200K-300K without issue? I was not aware they had been around long enough to prove just as reliable as something like a traditional Aisin auto?

You won't find a better CVT than the Honda although the unit in the Subaru is pretty good, too.

The Crosstrek might be the slowest car I've ever driven. Initial throttle tip in is rather good, but deceiving, once you get off the line there's absolutely nothing there.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
...Are there any CVT’s that have shown to be better than others ? Thanks

Better in terms of what, feel? Driveability? Longevity? Economy?

The earliest mainstream, high volume user of CVTs is probably Nissan. They've been using them almost exclusively for about 10yrs now. You are going to see the most complaints from Nissan/Jatco units simply because of the number of them out there.

My first CVT vehicle was my 2012 Subaru Legacy. Also owned a 2016 Forester with one and most currently a 2016 Nissan Quest with one. I find them no better or worse than a 5,6,8, etc.. speed FWD step-shift automatic.

Comparing a late model FWD ~8spd with a CVT in terms of how long they'll last is anyone's guess. They will both most likely be impossible to repair and require replacement. Both are very expensive, as all transmission replacements have been regardless of configuration for decades.
I was referring to reliability and longevity.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
How many CVTs have made it to 200K-300K without issue? I was not aware they had been around long enough to prove just as reliable as something like a traditional Aisin auto?
Excellent point. I have a 2006 4L60E with 202k running great. I need to get some feedback from Nissan owners

Originally Posted By: TTK
I am on my second Subaru Forester and no complaints to date with the CVT.

The CVT in my parents Forester impressed me alot as well. It seems to work for optimal mileage when you want it too, and will keep the revs up when you want some acceleration.
Subaru had an extended warranty for the 2010-15 Outback and Forester for the CVT but it was actually the torque converter locking mechanism not unlocking causing problems, which isn't really part of the transmission anyways.

To the OP, if a Malibu does what you need, I'd skip anything AWD or SUVish anyways. Why pay more now, to pay more later in gas and parts?

They're starting to put these things into most everything they can. Now it's mostly compacts and small, lower horsepower vehicles. But you can bet they going to be in a lot of bigger cars in time to come. We'll see how they hold up to high mileage. And I think it will be a while before you see them able to tow any serious weight.

They have been in some cars longer than others. And some people have had better luck with them than others. Others like them, while some hate the way they drive. They're still relatively new, but like a lot of the newer things in the automotive world, like them or not, sooner or later they will be shoved down our throat. Just like DEF systems and "Start / Stop". No one really wants them. You're just going to have to learn to live with them.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Excellent point. I have a 2006 4L60E with 202k running great. I need to get some feedback from Nissan owners

Ditto. I've got one auto with 144k and the other with 187k; the one with 187k is sometimes slow to engage, but I bet a rebuild (if I absolutely had to do that) would be "cheap".

Maybe in a few years CVT rebuilds will get real cheap. And/or working pulls available. They are selling lots of them, after all.

Weird i had a forester cvt as loaner and it seems to hunt gears(gear ratios) similar to my old sonata when accelerating and decelerating from highway to freeway/street speeds. The sonata only had the problem when accelerating like it was in too high of a gear.

Originally Posted By: billt460
They're starting to put these things into most everything they can. Now it's mostly compacts and small, lower horsepower vehicles. But you can bet they going to be in a lot of bigger cars in time to come. We'll see how they hold up to high mileage. And I think it will be a while before you see them able to tow any serious weight.

I highly doubt it. Maybe in some SUVs, maybe, but not in anything that is meant to tow any meaningful weight. The force distribution and surface area of a pulley and belt system is simply not there when compared to traditional clutch packs.
To get similar force distribution and surface area, the pulleys and belt have to be much larger that clutch packs and the clamping forces between the pulley have to be extremely high. All this will negate the fuel saving advantage. That is why CVTs are best suited for low TQ applications.

Last edited:
The newer CVT's from Nissan are ok if you don't intend to keep the vehicle forever but just to a decent mileage. (My opinion),
The older CVT's from Nissan I wouldn't dare go near. (My opinion)

The Toyota CVT is good from what I see and read.

The newer ford CVT's are fine from what I see and read.

The Subaru CVT's are mixed. (Opinion)

Honda CVT's seem fine now. Some early ones were problematic.

I think we have some Nissan owners here who have close to 200K miles on their Nissans with CVT. I know back when I frequented a few busy Subaru boards, there's many folks there with close to the 200K mile mark. Probably beyond that now.

In regards to them holding up in higher HP and heavy vehicle weight applications, we shall see. My 2016 Nissan Quest minivan with the QV35DE V6 and CVT has a curb weight of ~4400lbs, max payload of ~1500lbs and supposedly has a tow rating of 3500lbs. Ours routinely has 5-7 people in it and has made it to 65K miles flawlessly. I did pay for an extended warranty that covers me another 3.5yrs, up to 110K miles.

My point is, Nissan uses CVTs in some large, heavy vehicles, including their smaller commercial cargo van. That QV35DE and CVT combo is used in a bunch of their stuff. What I like most about it is the ease at which you can level check and drain/fill the CVT on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back