In need of a new work vehicle, so many all look the same, give me your horror stories.

OK, so the days are coming to an end for my work transportation. My Mazda 3 has 215k on the clock and it's rusting faster than I can control. Here is a list of my wants and needs, MUST be AWD, even the cheezy brake activated will suffice, preferably not a CVT tranny, and not nickel and dime me to death, that's it. Here are my thoughts, if you have one or not, please chime in.
Subaru Crosstek
Mazda CX 5 or CX50
Honda CRV
Nissan Rouge
Toyota Rav4
Kia Sorento

Also, for sake of mentioning, are you at all interested in the new Ford Maverick? They seem pretty affordable for what you're getting.

I haven't seen a car on the market for the past 30 years that was exciting Other than a Dodge Hellcat Challenger or Charger . I came so close to buying one but thought about it and after a while realized the new car will soon be the old car.

Also, for sake of mentioning, are you at all interested in the new Ford Maverick? They seem pretty affordable for what you're getting.
This, IF you can find one.

Ford also offers extended warranties out to 10/175K -which can be quite helpful so you don't have to worry about serious mechanical concerns:

1690488789906.jpg

Toyota's seem to have superior rust proofing compared to other manufacturers, I guess they learned their lesson from the Tacoma frame rot days. I personally would go with either the Toyota or the Honda, keep it treated with woolwax or fluid film.

Nissan Rogue will end up needing a CVT replacement.

I needed a work car / winter beater, and picked up a Honda Fit which checks most of the boxes except for AWD. Tons of interior room relative to its size and it comes highly recommended by CKN.

I promptly bought some Blizzaks for it while the size is still available...

Reactions: JC1
Prius e-AWD, but since you drive a Mazda 3, you probably like driving, LOL.

Still the current gen has a trick rear suspension setup and handles ok, and the new gen actually rips. The toyota CVT trans is very reliable and has about six moving parts. If you don't like the "rubber band" driving then yeah it's not for you.

If you need the AWD for snow, Prius doesn't have a ton of ground clearance.

Owned the Impreza (the non-lifted Crosstrek) and now the CX-5. The CX-5 is FAR better in everything except looks. Better lights, suspension, engine, fantastic 6-speed auto trans, interior. I think it pulls more, too. Better accel, especially with the low, towing 1st gear.

Crosstrek probably has softer suspension for a better ride, but my Imp leaned like a sailboat. CVT will give better MPG on long trips, but the CX-5 got better in short trips.

Rented a Subaru Crosstrek and the CVT failed at 2400 miles. There was nothing wrong with it until the car tried to go fast up a long highway hill, on cruise control. The RPM climbed up and up, to 5200+ trying to maintain 70MPH. Then it started squeaking, then groaning, and eventually it sounded like rocks in a can, with random squeaks. It made it to the exit a few hundred feet away, and downhill to the gas station, just barely, at about 1MPH. Avis took it away on a flatbed

Any way you slice it, when it failed, it was going nowhere. Momentum carried the car to its resting point, the gas station , and the flatbed took it to the CVT replacement shop. I didn’t get much feedback from Avis, other than they’ve seen this a number of times.

Last edited:
Back