Sapling puller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some type of clamp that I can clamp to small saplings then attach a chain to and then yank out with my tractor.

A steel wheel, the larger the better and a chain, rope, or cable.

[img:center]https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/file...im-img_0391-jpg[/img]

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Wrapping a chain or really thick rope several times around the base of the sapling should do the trick.

Yep, a chain should grab it.

You can do this with a small diameter rope compared to the sapling diameter. The knot you need is called a selvagee. I found it in one of my old marine knot books. I used it to take the strain from the electrical service into my house so I could fix the anchor no longer 'anchored' to the end-wall sheeting. Worked like a charm. Sort of like a Chinese finger puzzle.

You need a similar knot able to take force parallel to the sapling. The Icicle Hitch would also work. Look it up on animated knots.

I use a 'water jet' to blast the soil from deep roots from some intractable saplings/weeds and vine, where the corm is buried about a foot deep in heavy clay/rock infested soil. This works very well.

TSC actually sells a device to do this, but for a couple saplings where I don't want to move any dirt I just cut them off the roots a couple inches down with an axe. For more saplings I use a box blade and fold them over going backwards and then drop the blade down about a foot from the stump and drive forward. Most go roots and all just from that, but if not I use a tooth on the scarifier bar and put it into the stump and pull.
Also sometimes you can just shear off the roots on one side by wiggling the bucket down and then pushing the tree over, back up and push on the tipped up stump and jam the whole thing into the woods. I had a 15' red cedar in the way last week and even something that big went easily and was gone faster than you can get on and off the tractor.
I find the problem with tugging on stuff with the tractor is you are right inline with the tow bar so if anything lets go then you have a good chance of eating it...

I've gotten many of them out by drilling a hole through the center of the trunk, then putting a small piece of rod through it, and wrap a small chain or rope around it. Then yank them straight out of the ground with a bumper jack. No vehicle or special tools needed.

I use a chain tied in a half hitch, then I hook that to a bumper jack or the Rat. Last used a week ago to pull out the 6 foot bar I was using to sink a ground rod. The original use for a High LIft jack was to stretch wire and pull fence posts.

These are small elm saplings. I don't have the shoulder strength or arm strength to pull them by hand.

Originally Posted By: otis24
These are small elm saplings. I don't have the shoulder strength or arm strength to pull them by hand.

Pretty sure every single one of these methods is implying or dictating the use of a mechanism or mechanical device to “pull” on them-a jack, a truck, come along, a tractor, etc. No one is saying do it by hand here...

Your OP said you have a tractor and planned to use it.

"sapling" doesn't tell me if they are 1/2 inch in diameter or 3 inches in diameter, but I will give it a go.

I sometimes have to pull many dozens of small trees (1" to 2.5" diameter) out of my workplace nursery to clear the field. I've tried the store bought stump grubbers, various chains, and wire rope slings. They all have marginal success and are unwieldy. The chains and wire rope often don't dig in and just slip up the trunk as the tree bends over.

Here's what works the best and is super fast with 2 people and a compact tractor: A very large (24") pipe wrench! About $12 at Harbor Fright: https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-jumbo-steel-pipe-wrench-39645.html

I attach a stout logging chain section through the end handle hole of the wrench using the largest bolts that will go through the chain link. The chain attaches to the drawbar. You open the pipe jaws to the appropriate width, slip it on the tree base, and yank the tree out. As the chain pulls the wrench up and away, the jaws wedge tight and out it comes. The ground person wiggles the wrench off the trunk and you move on to the next tree. Very fast because little time is wasted setting the jaws on the trunk. Chains have to be wrapped and locked in place, often just slipping off.

Here's the general concept of how the wrench will grab on to the trunk when the chain end is pulled up and away:

The wedge action (exaggerated) that locks it in:

Adapted from the general way that a manual T post puller works:
image_18905.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back