Best oil for abused 2014 3.5L EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will start with a little background. I used to hang out here quite a bit when I drove 40,000 miles each year. I loved the idea of extended oil change intervals, using Amsoil, GC (the old coveted green 0w-30), and Schaeffer to name a few. Then my life changed any my driving style significantly changed to the point where I drive 7,000 miles in a busy year. In the winter my vehicle probably idles as much as it gets driven and I drive very short trips. IMHO, this is extremely abusive driving.

In 2014 I purchased a Ford F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine. Because of my driving style, I elected to follow the OCI prescribed by the computer - which seems to be somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 miles. I use the locally produced BradPenn oil which does meet Ford's spec. It currently has 26,000 miles on the clock.

Now on to my problem - last weekend, while taking the family on vacation, I lost power (requiring the transmission to shift down 2 or 3 gears just to maintain 70 mph on very slight grades) and my CEL came on. I immediately thought a turbo had an issue. A stop at the first Ford dealership I could find open on a Saturday revealed a stretched timing chain and a bad turbo. Following the advise of the tech, I continued on for another 230 miles (driving like grandma), finally making it to my destination. The truck was dropped off at the dealership there first thing Monday morning and it has been there since (making 5 days total today), and is still not fixed - Ford did provide me with a nice rental (at their cost) to use during our vacation and the drive home.

So, now on to my question - After some research, it seems like this is not an uncommon problem with this engine. As much as this problem has been discussed all over the internet, there has been very little discussion of the cause or prevention. In addition to that, I haven't been able to find out if the replacement parts have been upgraded or if the same design/materials will be re-installed. This leaves me wanting to do everything I can to prevent this from happening again. My plans were to keep this truck for another 6 years. During that time, I want to do everything I can to protect Ford's potentially flawed design. This means choosing an oil that can hold up to my driving style along with the dreaded 3,000 mile OCI.

Any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated.

^^Agreed
I doubt oil choice will fix this. But it's worth a try in order to rule it out.

Based on what I know, timing chain stretch is often blamed on low oil viscosity and/or poor lubrication. I am thinking, without a UOA to support my thoughts, that the direct injection mixed with my driving style is possibly thinning out the oil. I am not looking for a "magic oil", but one that will hold up well to potential fuel dilution. I will do a few UOAs in the future just to see, but the computer will be set for 50% OCIs until I know I can push it further. I will also try to find an ACEA A3/B4 rated oil that meets Ford spec.

IMHO, no timing chain, even in a poorly maintained engine, should be stretched out of spec at 26,000 miles.

2011 F-150 Ecoboost timing chain replacement

You aren't alone...

I can tell you first hand that the tensioner and guides have been updated/upgraded. The chain itself, to my eye, looked identical. That doesn't mean that Ford hasn't changed suppliers since these engines were new.

I doubt that you can really do anything just by using a certain oil. It's a design flaw. And it isn't just Ford, I'm starting to see more and more timing chain issues at work. A few in particular come to mind:

Honda K24 engines seems to LOVE stretching chains. Not at low mileage like the Ford's, but they do.

Just did a 2011 Kia Sportage 2.4 timing chain. It was well maintained, chain stretched until the timing marks were 4-5 teeth off.

The above-mentioned F-150. Well maintained, syn-blend oil. 70k miles, chain stretched until the tensioner was almost maxed out.

It seems to me that recent advances in VVT technology are at play here. There's so many OHC engines out there that have absolutely no chain issues, almost all pre-VVT era. All of a sudden we have a huge influx of cam-phaser operated VVT systems and BAM! chain stretch issues. Something has to be related.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Valvoline Maxlife 20w50

Hahahahahaa, prob not the ideal choice, but the point remains.

On a serious note, chains last longest with ultra clean 30 viscosity oil. Synthetics will result in a cleaner engine with less carbon buildup. Whether that translates to lower chain wear is just a guess.

I run M1, 10W-30 EP in my 2011 3.5EB. About 80K miles, no issues. 5000 mile OCI's. Other EB trucks I know of, use other oils and have troubles. You be the judge. Early on, I chose the 10W-30 EP due to UOA results. The Ford spec oil was showing high wear. Sorry, it's been a long time since I've done UOA on it, so I don't recall the numbers.

Any turbo owner should strongly consider a full synthetic. Today's turbo's still coke up when HTS (high thermal stability) oils are not used. Examples of oils that do not have HTS include synthetic blends. Remember, water cooling the turbo housing does nothing to prevent coke buildup on the turbine side of the shaft.

Watch this video with Mobil 1 testing. Fast forward to 1:40 to see turbo pictures with M1 vs conventional. https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...charged-engines

As always, use a quality synthetic, change regularly and choose sufficient viscosity to do the job. That viscosity is likely to be a 10W-30 for certain modern engines.

3336488663_dfebc7c11e.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
As always, use a quality synthetic, change regularly and choose sufficient viscosity to do the job.

I agree! A good synth is so cheap,there's no reason not to use it.

I’ve run castrol 0w40 in my 2016 F150 3.5 eco since 1000 miles. Between known fuel dilution issues and long timing chain, I also change the oil every 5k miles. Might be late for yours, but see no reason to run anything thinner.

After spending (probably too much) time on F150 forums, a thicker synthetic oil should do better, AND the new parts should be upgraded...I've seen no one post that their EB engine had problems a second time (except for the other turbo).

I'd think that Cujet's suggestion of 10w30 is a good one - especially in light of the thread (can't find it) where timing chains were shown to have lower wear with higher viscosity. Plus there's numerous F150 guys using 10w30.

Its the path of the timing chain. The old V8 engines with a simple timing chain path never had an issue.

I agree, oil will not help with your timing chain issue. The latest upgrade parts from Ford are your only hope.

Castrol Magnetec 5/30, follow the OLM.

Its not just a parts thing, not all the engines have the issue.

I'd get rid of the truck and find a 5.0 V8 version, much less problems and more reliable in the long run. The fuel mileage is pretty comparable between the two and you won't have to worry about turbo or timing chain problems. The ecoboost engines never impressed me much at all, I think they're [censored] personally.

I must have missed the part where this engine is abused? Sounds like it's treated like a cream puff.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I must have missed the part where this engine is abused? Sounds like it's treated like a cream puff.

Very short trips with significant idle time in the winter. I would dare to say the oil rarely sees full operating temperature in the winter. I doubt I'm alone in considering this abuse, or at least severe use.

jongies3, replacing this truck is not an option I am willing to consider at this time. In addition to that, I consider the EcoBoost concept to be a great idea that is experiencing some growing pains. Unfortunately, I have happened to own two of these engines and been unlucky enough to personally experience these growing pains with both of them. While I do love the engine and its abilities, the 2nd generation will need to be basically problem free if I decided to purchase another in 4 years.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent

You aren't alone...

I can tell you first hand that the tensioner and guides have been updated/upgraded. The chain itself, to my eye, looked identical. That doesn't mean that Ford hasn't changed suppliers since these engines were new.

I doubt that you can really do anything just by using a certain oil. It's a design flaw. And it isn't just Ford, I'm starting to see more and more timing chain issues at work. A few in particular come to mind:

Honda K24 engines seems to LOVE stretching chains. Not at low mileage like the Ford's, but they do.

Just did a 2011 Kia Sportage 2.4 timing chain. It was well maintained, chain stretched until the timing marks were 4-5 teeth off.

The above-mentioned F-150. Well maintained, syn-blend oil. 70k miles, chain stretched until the tensioner was almost maxed out.

It seems to me that recent advances in VVT technology are at play here. There's so many OHC engines out there that have absolutely no chain issues, almost all pre-VVT era. All of a sudden we have a huge influx of cam-phaser operated VVT systems and BAM! chain stretch issues. Something has to be related.

What generation K24 do you see the most issues on?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: 14Accent

You aren't alone...

What generation K24 do you see the most issues on?

I see it most on the earlier cars, -'06. The later ones seem much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back