Auto Start / Stop Feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to be honest I don’t know about this, I imagine it’d differ greatly from engine to engine. Typically start stop systems are more ideal for diesel cars, because they produce a lot less heat, some of them don’t even reach normal oil operation temperature when its winter here unless they are driven very hard.

I don’t think its that problematic, especially with electric water/oilpumps including some for the turbo. But without those I can very well imagine a few situations when this can be stressful for the engine. For example in stop and go traffic in a hot area, especially knowing how some people are driving.. Accelerating forwards 50 meters, spooling up the turbo, putting load on the engine, stopping, shutoff, letting it sit a minute, repeat.
The critical temperature doesnt happen in the oil pan or the radiator, because the hot fluids dont even enter those, they are trapped inside the hot engine and can’t even circulate and mix up in order to cool better.

Normally people also don’t tend to notice that because the temperature sensors for oil temperature and coolant temperature are typically by the oilpan and inside the radiator. Many cars have those sensors put in those places because customers would typically panick if after one kickdown their oil temperature increases by 50 degrees and their water temperature by 25... So we all have gauges in our car that steadily show us the perfect middle between hot and cold to calm our minds, no matter if we’re running full throttle on the autobahn or idling for an hour at -20 degrees.

Its possible to create a well working start/stop system with a powerfull starter motor, maybe regenerative breaking systems that can give extra power to the starter so it doesnt drain the battery as much. Also a good electric water and oil pump is required as well as coolant lines through the engines turbo. Those could keep running for some time after the engine is stopped to make the coolant/oil cycle. This is very well possible by now, but the question is what efforts manufacturers are willing to take. I know that most german manufacturers just cheap out on some components and then some of them have catastrophic engine failure by defect oilpumps/waterpumps/turbos at relatively low mileage. I don’t know enough about the american car industry to evaluate how it is there though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Voleak
Yes, the A/C shuts off each time the engine automatically shuts off. And it has been in the 90's here. Terrible feature that cannot be permanently turned off. What a shame, as it is an otherwise wonderful vehicle.
Really?
I thought manuf's might be using electric motor compressors? Guess not....wow...that sucks. What happens if your stuck in traffic, heat-soaked, for 20 min?

[/quote]Really?
I thought manuf's might be using electric motor compressors? Guess not....wow...that sucks. What happens if your stuck in traffic, heat-soaked, for 20 min?[/quote]

I would turn the feature off for sure if stuck in traffic in hot weather. Swipe through the tablet display center, find the feature, turn it off. Call me lazy, but doing this every time is ridiculous. It should not default back to on, it just shouldn't.

Same with lane keep assist, you have to turn it off manually every time you start the car. I don't like lane keep assist as much as I don't like stop and start. It's always nudging the steering wheel when it thinks I am getting to close to the lane line or cornering to fast.

As much as I like the looks and driving dynamics of the Volvo, and as much as it makes my wife happy, I would not buy one for myself. Actually I won't buy any car that has those features standard on a trim level I want. Having to turn off two features every time I get into the car to drive, is bad by design.

Those two features should be quietly hiding in the background until I decide if and when I want to use them.

I find this feature extremely irritating...especially on my diesel due to the noticeable shudder on stop/start.

We have a '17 Range Rover w/ the TDV6 and the stop/start is annoying. The a/c still blows cool and all systems are fine when the engine is off, but the shudder is annoying and, while I know it will work (hopefully), it can cause a bit of anxiety when you are at a yield or, like yesterday a roundabout, and the motor stops just as you are about to merge. That said I understand why its done, am impressed by how works and do try to use it, but do turn it off more often then not.

I do wish it had a disable feature or defaulted to 'off' and you could select 'on'....the dealer said neither were configureable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back