Auto Start / Stop Defeators

Been running the Range on my 2019 Trail boss since the truck was new. Works flawless. No more stop/start or cylinder deactivation. I do not believe there is much of any draw. My truck will sit for 2-3 weeks or more with the range plugged in and i've never had an issue. Great product.
The Range does have a draw. And they recommend you unplug it if the car sits. I guess battery rundown is a very vehicle specific situation.

On the Kia Soul, someone discovered you can jam the button IN with a piece of card stock (or a toothpick) and the auto start stop will stay disabled. Maybe that will work on the Cruze too.
So it can probably be permanently defeated by shorting the wires going to the switch (or cutting the wires to the switch), whatever a schematic suggests.

Waiting for the stop/start to bother us on our 2018 Tiguan. It works quite well with one exception, wiper will stop briefly mid wipe on restart.

Forscan, and the black-wire-cut, on fords, basically disables S/S by blinding the BMS. The black wire is the battery current sense lead (ammeter for the ECU), which is used by BMS to assess that the battery is in a healthy state to support S/S.

everyone has their own matrix for decision making - I couldn’t bring myself to disable BMS. I posted an article a while ago from an engineer who worked at ford who stated that BMS actualy has higher fuel savings than S/S. While I don’t care for S/S, I do enjoy the great mpg from my truck. So, I hand-button the S/S whenever starting the truck, but I left BMS alone. the 21 mpg i get in a 4wd pickup is much appreciated here.

Forscan, and the black-wire-cut, on fords, basically disables S/S by blinding the BMS. The black wire is the battery current sense lead (ammeter for the ECU), which is used by BMS to assess that the battery is in a healthy state to support S/S.

everyone has their own matrix for decision making - I couldn’t bring myself to disable BMS. I posted an article a while ago from an engineer who worked at ford who stated that BMS actualy has higher fuel savings than S/S. While I don’t care for S/S, I do enjoy the great mpg from my truck. So, I hand-button the S/S whenever starting the truck, but I left BMS alone. the 21 mpg i get in a 4wd pickup is much appreciated here.
Also supposedly a shorten battery life by disabling the BMS. It doesn't bother me to push the button after start up on the front of the dash to disable S/S. It really doesn't......

No they don't. That's been discussed on here before. It's not your conventional starter setup and cold start process like a Crown Vic. You may not like it-but you don't understand how the system works.

How do you recon? For FCA products it still uses a normal starter. Have had a few towed in…starter failed on a start/stop attempted restart event.

So instead of starting the vehicle once on your voyage via starter it could start multiple times. Not sure how that wouldn’t shorten the calendar life of a starter. All things have a failure rate.

The solution has generally been the starters are designed for longer life. Lower rpm, direct drive with no gearing - higher torque machines.

Reactions: CKN
I have one on the KIA Soul - their implementation of start/stop sucks. All I had to do was pop off a plastic dash cover facing the drivers door, unplug the wire harness from the manual start/stop turn off button, plug that into the gismo, and plug the gismo into where the original harness was plugged. It just remembers the last setting and keeps that setting between starts.

How do you recon? For FCA products it still uses a normal starter. Have had a few towed in…starter failed on a start/stop attempted restart event.

So instead of starting the vehicle once on your voyage via starter it could start multiple times. Not sure how that wouldn’t shorten the calendar life of a starter. All things have a failure rate.
I agree. So if the starter is beefed up, and the engine is supposedly designed to be stopped and started thousands of more times over the life of the vehicle, imagine how much longer it would last if it was started and turned off at the end of each trip instead of dozens of times during each trip. Starters are wear components, as is everything else in a vehicle. We obsess here over extending the life of our vehicles. Disabling stop/start imo, and the opinion of automotive experts will extend the life of a vehicle. Common sense, and knowing how an engine works dictates that, as do the comments scattered about the web of engine designers and engine builders who make a living in the automotive world. If someone can prove otherwise please do so. FTR it saves a bit of gas, I'll pass on that for longer engine, starter and battery life. Oh yea even if the starter is taken out of the equation, the engine itself still benefits. YMMV.

The key word you used were " a few towed in". There will always be a few premature failures. They have been on the F150s over a decade. Maybe a different system but they are not failing in any significant numbers. And I'm guessing the sales numbers are much greater than the FCA products you have seen.

Also supposedly a shorten battery life by disabling the BMS. It doesn't bother me to push the button after start up on the front of the dash to disable S/S. It really doesn't......

I don't know. I had been pushing a button to disable my traction control for several months and I found it very annoying to do that.

I’m on my first S/S vehicle and I’ve disabled it. But in the past 30 years I’ve always been one where if my vehicle is idle more than 30 seconds (and I’m not on an active roadway) I shut my vehicle off, and then back on when I’m ready to move. Even when gas was $1 it has never made sense to me to let the car idle excessively. Not once have I ever had to replace a starter, ever.

If FCA is having starter failures in less than several hundred thousand miles & many years, it’s related to poor parts quality, since starting the car is a starter’s only job.

Back