Ford 6.2 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pretty familiar with the ford 6.0 diesel from driving them for years at work. Haven’t really kept up with their other motors, though. Anything remarkable or problematic about the 6.2? Same thing with 0.2 extra liters or is it much different? Anything to look out for?

And here is the kicker... assuming the price was right, how would it do in a grocery getter for daily driving?

I don't think there is a 6.2 ford diesel. They have a gas 6.2. GM had a 6.2 diesel that wasn't very good many years ago.
I would generally avoid Powerstroke Diesel 6.0 and 6.4 engines.

A perfect example of how I haven’t kept up with their diesels
blush.gif

Most of the Ford diesels before the 6.7 needed a lot of major work to get them reliable. Look at Powerstroke.com.

The 6.7 is reliable from the factory. The rest were not.

Diesel engine are for heavy duty hauling and towing, not getting groceries.

Get a gas car with a hatchback.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I’m pretty familiar with the ford 6.0 diesel from driving them for years at work. Haven’t really kept up with their other motors, though. Anything remarkable or problematic about the 6.2? Same thing with 0.2 extra liters or is it much different? Anything to look out for?

And here is the kicker... assuming the price was right, how would it do in a grocery getter for daily driving?
If you're thinking of the 6.7, they haven't been too bad, as long as the approved engine oil is used. Any diesel pickup is really too big to be a grocery getter, a small to midsize car would be better.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

If you're thinking of the 6.7, they haven't been too bad, as long as the approved engine oil is used. Any diesel pickup is really too big to be a grocery getter, a small to midsize car would be better.

What's an example of a non approved Ford 6.7 diesel oil?

I guess I'm shocked any 15w40 isn't good enough.

Well this thread is related to my other one about looking at crew cab trucks. I just got confused for a minute about some of fords super duty engines. Not fixated on the blue oval, per say, although I am mildly partial. Actually looking at a suburban in my area but just not thrilled with the 5.3 compared to many of the other options out there now.

You want nothing to do with a 6.4L Powerstroke.......I promise!!!!! Parts specific to this engine are outrageously expensive. A radiator cost about $850 not counting 3 hour of labor to swap it for example.

The 5.3L is anemic in a 4wd Suburban. I've been looking at Hybrid Tahoe's lately....6.0L with a very reliable hybrid drive, Cheap one's need the hybrid battery replaced.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

What's an example of a non approved Ford 6.7 diesel oil?

I guess I'm shocked any 15w40 isn't good enough.

Ford has a list of approved oils for a Powerstroke. Basically any oil that is only CJ-4 and many that are CK-4 also. Mostly the CK-4 5W40 were the ones left off the list. Initially Shell Rotella T6 5W40 CK-4 was not on the list, now I believe it is.

You need to look on the container for the Ford spec.

I stocked up on some oils that were CJ-4 only when the transition was going on.

Post 2012 6.7L Powerstrokes are the most reliable and least problematic. The 2015 and later 6.7L engines have a different turbo and improvements that make it "better" than earlier 6.7L models. However, none of the modern diesels are going to serve you well as a "grocery getter". All of them have emissions systems that require regens that use extra fuel and if not allowed to complete, over time, you will have issues with the emissions systems. These engines are designed to be worked and on the open road--stop and go city driving will cause them to burn lots of fuel and stay in a perpetual regen state.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What's an example of a non approved Ford 6.7 diesel oil? I guess I'm shocked any 15w40 isn't good enough.
According to Ford, >1000PPM of phosphorus is required to prevent long term wear in the valve train assembly and thus most CK-4 oils do not meet this criteria. Additionally, Ford has contradicted themselves so many times over this subject, it is not worth keeping track. Last, but not least, many of the "approved by Ford" CK-4 oils do not have >1000PPM of phosphorus, so it will leave one scratching one's head in disbelief. I stocked up on enough CJ-4 oil to last me past my warranty and after that I will not care and will use CK-4.

Well this thread is related to my other one about looking at crew cab trucks. I just got confused for a minute about some of fords super duty engines. Not fixated on the blue oval, per say, although I am mildly partial. Actually looking at a suburban in my area but just not thrilled with the 5.3 compared to many of the other options out there now.

The 6.2L is a large gas engine that could be found in the Super Duty. Depending on your usage profile, it may be significantly more appropriate than the diesel.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Get a gas car with a hatchback.

I would suggest a wagon.

But OP wants a truck with space (crewcab), so... maybe a GMC Savannah conversion van?
It may actually be cheaper than a truck.

I would have suggested just a used work van (simple truck with a covered bed), but OP has family?

No way would I buy a truck like that for grocery getting. In fact, I wouldn't buy a truck like that at all unless I truly needed a truck like that to tow a huge trailer or haul 2,000+ lbs in the bed. There's a reason I drive a Ford Ranger instead of an F350. It just seems like a colossal waste of money to drive a vehicle way larger than you need. Not only is purchase price more, but you pay more for fuel, more for registration (truck registration in CT is based on GVWR), tires are way more expensive, oil changes are way more expensive (3 gallons of oil vs 5-6 quarts), parts in general are more expensive, etc etc... No thanks. Pick the right tool for the job.

Drive what you like, as long as youre not like the condo living Ranch Emperors that crowd the supermarkets around where I live with ginormous trucks
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back