2.7 Ecoboost - An overbuilt beast with a flaw

Looks like dewalt has dedicated small impact “wrenches” too, like DCF923B but this is different? But he was just using a regular impact driver like one that frequently comes with a regular drill in a combo kit. I’m only used to impact drivers being used on like Torx screws for decks.

I also have the DeWalt 1/4" Atomic impact driver, but purchased the Milwaukee M12 FUEL Surge driver a few months ago due the ultra compact form factor, adjustable power and quietness of this tool. The Milwaukee FUEL Surge series tools use a proprietary sealed hydraulic drive mechanism that greatly reduces the decibel level and harshness of the impact noise. It actually sounds like muffled "taps" instead of sharp impacts as you may have noticed in the video.

I find myself reaching for the Milwaukee driver first whenever I need a ratchet wrench to remove small fasteners. I'd say that this M12 Surge tool is a hybrid between a small impact wrench, a cordless screwdriver, and a cordless ratchet wrench.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he is using a 3/8 Stubby, not a 1/4 fence builder. He broke his older one on a video, i forget exactly when.

I bought the 3/8 and 1/2 stubbies, they are priceless for automotive work.

1690572398048.png

Last edited:
Somewhere along the way someone (either the fellow in the video or a commenter on YouTube or here) mentioned that the oil spec (presumably Ford's) might be critical to keeping the oil pump belt from dissolving. That was probably just wild speculation, that is, there would have to be huge warnings about EXACTLY what oil to use, i.e. not just API SP, Dexos1G2, GF-6A, etc. to avoid extreme engine damage.

But on the topic, has anyone ever heard of an oil certification allowed to being hard on belts exposed to oil or conversely a belt material that needed a certain spec/cert of oil to prevent it from failing? Seems like oil-bath belt makers should be able to make the belt able to run in any available auto engine oil.
If that was so, Ford is required by law to make the oil free during warranty(which is why BMW, Mercedes and VW/Audi offered maintenance for free during warranty until Euro-spec oils entered the mainstream) or the specs are to licensed out: see the dexos and Dexron/Mercon/Dex-Cool specs.

Ford was just the first to use oil-bathed timing belts in cars. Honda has been using oil-bathed timing belts in the GC/GS and mini GX engines for the last 20 years.

I’ve heard of exactly zero ecoboost oil pump belt failures both here and on RV forums, and the engine gets a fair share of compliments and criticisms. If these failures were happening, I think it would be well-spread.

I had oil consumption oddities for my first 18000 miles or so, which stabilized to minimal consumption over time. First 10k had me worried, and it looked like valve seal behavior to my eye. Now, if I’m not mistaken they have real valve seal woes with the bronco, right? The engine is not flawless and certain runs of it have problems, but I don’t think the belt is one of them.

not that I “like” it either, but as someone else mentioned, I’ve had a few of the Honda motors with wet belts, and the biggest problems I’ve had with them is their absolute intolerance for any dust in the fuel.

So the engines you've encountered represent ALL engines known to exist?

Did it ever occur to you that the design and material selection for the "wet" belt are different from those you've seen? That maybe belts which are actually intended for "wet" applications use different chemistry for the belt materials and different design considerations for that unique application? Or, that maybe things have changed in terms of production capabilities? Etc ...

The point is that the belt in the video was criticized for looking to be in poor shape. However, most of have reasonably noted that the oil pump suffered from the unknown root cause of engine failure, and was not, in and of itself, the root cause of said failure. Had the engine not been grossly run dry of any lubricant, the belt probably would look in a lot better shape, despite its 92k miles of use with a terminal ending.
I did not say I know all, and yes of course a wet belt would be made of different polymers than a dry belt.

Polymers degrade, especially with heat and flexing.... I'm just saying it's a dumb idea to put a belt inside an engine.

GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc have all had some blunders over the decades. Anyone want a composite timing gear?

Time kills things, and that critical belt sours it for me. I don't mind timing belts, I actually prefer them over chains for OHC engines. But a wet belt driving the oil pump only, just seems like a bad joke.

Also, I'd be very willing to wager the low oil condition of this particular 2.7 had nothing to do with aging the belt. It looked bad, and would have if the sump had remained full.

I did not say I know all, and yes of course a wet belt would be made of different polymers than a dry belt.

Polymers degrade, especially with heat and flexing.... I'm just saying it's a dumb idea to put a belt inside an engine.

GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc have all had some blunders over the decades. Anyone want a composite timing gear?

Time kills things, and that critical belt sours it for me. I don't mind timing belts, I actually prefer them over chains for OHC engines. But a wet belt driving the oil pump only, just seems like a bad joke.

Also, I'd be very willing to wager the low oil condition of this particular 2.7 had nothing to do with aging the belt. It looked bad, and would have if the sump had remained full.
the bet is made of kevlar. " and would have if the sump had remained full" - you absolutely zero evidence to back up your statement. it is pure opinion and conjecture and you pass it around as fact.

Apparently Ford started using a belt driven oil pump in 2021 for their Coyote V8. Also, the GM inline Duramax 3.0 diesel has a oil bath belt for the oil pump.

To be fair, @Fabulous50s makes a solid design point - that a wear item such as a belt should not be held captive internally. It would seem as a maintenance item that it should be reasonably accessible, and internal to the engine isn’t. It basically starts to suggest the life of the engine is as good as the belt. perhaps our belt tech really is this good, but it’s still … a bit crazy.

one note - I’ll bet this is a pressure or volume or bypass modulated oil pump - which probably doesn’t command full pressure, and thus force against the belt, under most driving conditions. That may also be factored into design life. Has anyone seen a 2.7 in marine use where it’d be hammered all day, every day?

If only the owner ran 20 dubbya 50 castrol gtx in a crusty white bottle we wouldn’t be having this conversation 😂…who am I kidding lol

To be fair, @Fabulous50s makes a solid design point - that a wear item such as a belt should not be held captive internally. It would seem as a maintenance item that it should be reasonably accessible, and internal to the engine isn’t. It basically starts to suggest the life of the engine is as good as the belt. perhaps our belt tech really is this good, but it’s still … a bit crazy.

one note - I’ll bet this is a pressure or volume or bypass modulated oil pump - which probably doesn’t command full pressure, and thus force against the belt, under most driving conditions. That may also be factored into design life. Has anyone seen a 2.7 in marine use where it’d be hammered all day, every day?
Especially where it would be so easy to just use 2 sprockets and a short chain to drive the pump. Maybe they wanted to not have another tensioner there?

even the Subaru architecture where it slides on over the stub of the crankshaft would be easy enough and compact?
Same way Honda does it with the J-Series. Pretty sure Mazda did it with the BP engines as well. Only times those failed was when you changed the front damper for something solid. The vibrations would kill the pump over time. Mostly seen in the boy racers that used underdrive pulleys without any damping.

Honda has been using oil-bathed timing belts in the GC/GS and mini GX engines for the last 20 years.
They work well enough in lawn mowers, but even there, the belts are much less reliable than the cam gear setup of a conventional lawn mower engine. Mostly, they fall off the pulley, but sometimes they deteriorate and fail. It is no surprise these belts are for sale everywhere.

So the belt didn't start until 18?

I think that Ford dealer's part description is incorrect. The part number shows as a belt on some other sites and the poor illustration does not appear to depict a chain.
1690883963238.jpg

I think that Ford dealer's part description is incorrect. The part number shows as a belt on some other sites and the poor illustration does not appear to depict a chain.
View attachment 170108
These guys actually show a chain (and the ford packaging shows "chain", but it also looks like it is a label??), but who really knows. Was wishful thinking, since my 2.7 is a 17. :)

I've read other sites that claim Ford changed from a chain to belt on the "redesigned" 2.7/3.0, when it went port and direct. I think F150's got that in 18, so would make sense (Fusions never got it, as they were discontinued in 20)

Back