Flashing third tail light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
The modern blue LED light bars and all manner of other blue lights are a totally different story, though. If I see them at night, I often find myself seeing blue spots for a minute or two afterwards even though I do my best to not look at them.

Anything "blue" or "light bar" is also highly illegal.

Originally Posted By: jeff78
Originally Posted By: wag123

I have dealt with insurance adjusters MANY times. If someone rear-ends me, THEY are getting ticketed!

Insurance adjusters don't write tickets, but we know what you mean.

By your own admission, you haven't been rear-ended since you installed brake light flashers on your vehicles, so how do you know you wouldn't have been denied insurance coverage if you had been rear ended with a flashing brake light?

Especially if the person who rear ended you is smart and tells the responding officers they were distracted by your flashing brake light.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Originally Posted By: jeff78
Originally Posted By: wag123

I have dealt with insurance adjusters MANY times. If someone rear-ends me, THEY are getting ticketed!

Insurance adjusters don't write tickets, but we know what you mean.
By your own admission, you haven't been rear-ended since you installed brake light flashers on your vehicles, so how do you know you wouldn't have been denied insurance coverage if you had been rear ended with a flashing brake light?

Especially if the person who rear ended you is smart and tells the responding officers they were distracted by your flashing brake light.

I don't think that this will get any sympathy from a responding officer since his/her patrol car has flashing lights on the rear. They are well aware of the danger they face every day because of the possibility of being hit on a traffic stop or accident scene by distracted/inattentive/impaired/speeding drivers. The "flashing brake light distracted me" defense is not going to sit well with them (I asked a couple of my cop friends about this). They are going to ticket the person who rear-ended me for following too closely, inattentive driving, speeding, or DUI. The person can argue their case in court, but the flashing brake light defense doesn't actually answer the specific charge.
I also talked to one of my neighbors who was an insurance investigator for State Farm for 35 years and he told me that, as long as the left and right brake lights were functioning properly and not altered, they would not deny coverage for either driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
The modern blue LED light bars and all manner of other blue lights are a totally different story, though. If I see them at night, I often find myself seeing blue spots for a minute or two afterwards even though I do my best to not look at them.

Anything "blue" or "light bar" is also highly illegal.

I was specifically referring to LED light bars and blue lights on police cars-something that I'm pretty sure is NOT highly illegal anywhere in the US.

years ago most state laws said that the only flashing light will be the turn Segnal. the one exception is a factory installed, moving turn segnal on the rear. years ago i had a 57 Dodge pick up. and kansas only required one tail light. even thou it had two from the factory.

Unfortunately, I am seeing more and more cars being retrofitted/modified with these annoying flashing 3rd tail lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back