Porsche Cayenne - Rear BCM

have a 2014 porsche cayenne. Drivers side tail lights are out. It both tail lights (fender and tailgate) -Brake lights and turn signals are fine- and the flash when you lock the vehicle, but the taillights dont light up when running . I have verified it isn't the lights. :(

after some research it Seems like it has to be the rear BCM- Seems they can be problematic if sunroof drain leaks and gets wet. Guessing maybe that has happened? I can get an OEM BCM for around $300 but it appears it needs to be programmed. Is this something that can be done with one of the code readers/ softwares available or do I need to suck it and take it to a porsche dealer? Closest dealer is 2 hours away and would be a pita to leave car. any other options

have a 2014 porsche cayenne. Drivers side tail lights are out. It both tail lights (fender and tailgate) -Brake lights and turn signals are fine- and the flash when you lock the vehicle, but the taillights dont light up when running . I have verified it isn't the lights. :(

after some research it Seems like it has to be the rear BCM- Seems they can be problematic if sunroof drain leaks and gets wet. Guessing maybe that has happened? I can get an OEM BCM for around $300 but it appears it needs to be programmed. Is this something that can be done with one of the code readers/ softwares available or do I need to suck it and take it to a porsche dealer? Closest dealer is 2 hours away and would be a pita to leave car. any other options
You'll probably need access to dealer level software to program the module. I would visit some Porsche forums to see if anyone has access to this software.

My best friend had an Audi TT convertible, same issue. BCM is on floor behind seats and got wet from third brake light gasket leaking.
It had to be reprogrammed at Audi dealer.

It will probably need the mothership to code the module, because you need to be able to pull your current coding to write the new module.

You would probably be fine with a used module from a car with similar options.

The programming of that BCM is actually more of a "settings" configuration. Get the used one plug it in as is and see what happens and go from there. There are local programmers that will come to you if need be. I replaced one on a 2013 Panamera awhile back. I didn't have to program it because my Autel was able to grab the info from the old and place onto the replacement one - I was lucky.

Find an indy or someone that has a a more advanced scan tool that can code modules. I have 2 tools that claim to do this on that Porsche model (I never tried it) but I know they will work on the other ones they have also have listed. I would find that first before buying anything.
Buying used can present some issues, you may need the VIN from the donor vehicle and go through a bunch of steps to use it (maybe not) I usually buy new and code it.

Find an indy or someone that has a a more advanced scan tool that can code modules. I have 2 tools that claim to do this on that Porsche model (I never tried it) but I know they will work on the other ones they have also have listed. I would find that first before buying anything.
Buying used can present some issues, you may need the VIN from the donor vehicle and go through a bunch of steps to use it (maybe not) I usually buy new and code it.
That's a good point I failed to mention. Some makes require a "divorce" of the module on the donor vehicle before it can be "married" to the other vehicle. You just have to do due diligence and research. It's like the GM Global A system where you can't use used modules as they intentionally made that impossible to flash program used modules.

thanks for the info. Will look into the options mentioned. I thought that I read somewhere that a used BCM wouldnt work without re-programming

thanks for the info. Will look into the options mentioned. I thought that I read somewhere that a used BCM wouldnt work without re-programming
It's tough because the Cayenne had a myriad of options and incorrect coding can cause some weird stuff. So a used BCM can have options enabled that yours doesn't and things misbehave.

I changed some coding in my Touareg and made it angry. Lost my tail lights and created a parasitic draw. Someone in the Touareg FB group pulled his coding for me and I matched them up.

You can recode a used module but you need to know what your car is supposed to have. If the module is damaged I'm not sure what your options are besides asking a group or having the dealer do it via mothership connection.

According to my Autel it can code your Porsche. There are others as well, just have to see what you are willing to spend. Dealers are expensive so buying a scanner for your vehicle would pay off in the long run.

According to my Autel it can code your Porsche. There are others as well, just have to see what you are willing to spend. Dealers are expensive so buying a scanner for your vehicle would pay off in the long run.
DO you know which autel would do this. Trying to research this option now. Haven't had any luck finding an independent shop that seem to know what to do

Thanks for the help- will most likely be cheaper than a dealer visit- Porsche was wanting $300 just to diagnose , then actual cost of repair. hopefully it isn’t too complicated of a process to code the new BCM

Back