Auto trans temperature scanner - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that our trannies are missing dipsticks, I need a new tool.
I wanna service the GS350, 2017 Accord CVT and a couple of Nissan CVTs.

What do I need? I guess there are Bluetooth devices now?
Has to be quality and price is important...

Thanks in advance.

So you want to see temp? Is that my understanding?

Does your transmission already have the probe/sensor installed and you just need a scanner to read it?

Rereading my post I found my question was poorly coded. Apologies...

Yes, I want to read transmission fluid temp.
I do not know how to do it...
I was under the impression you could use the OBD 2 port with a scanner and Android app like Torque.

That's my best understanding.
Thanks!

Last edited:
If you are a pinch, I can probably help you - I am in the East Bay and can probably schedule dinner in your area and check it out. I have an Autel Maxisys Elite, but it is probably more than you want to pay.

Autel does make a MD808 Pro for $250 that offers free lifetime updates. However, I am not sure what Live Data PIDs are available.

The Nissan is the only car where you will need the scanner. The RWD Toyota's have a feature which allows you to rely on the A/T Oil Temp Light to perform the fluid level check. The Honda CVT's do not require it; do the drain and refill, wait until the engine gets hot (cooling fan comes on), and do the level check. The Honda fluid level does not change very much between warm and hot.

Last edited:
Thanks Critic; I am in no hurry. I view this as a learning experience, as servicing my cars is my hobby. All good.
Your guidance is spot on!

Last edited:
I saw a guy on Youtube using a laser thermometer to keep up with transmission pan temperature while working on a Pontiac Sunfire. That may be all you need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Check out ScanGauge.

As long as X-Guage commands are available this will work. I had to do some expert googling to find a code for my Mazda6 but finally found a good one on an Aussie site. Ford was good from ScanGuage but had to try half a dozen before success.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I do not think the Nissan ones have a sensor for that

I thought that all regular automatic transmissions had them, and have for decades???

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I do not think the Nissan ones have a sensor for that

I thought that all regular automatic transmissions had them, and have for decades???

I have an Infiniti G35 and neither Torque Pro nor Nissan Data Scan (software specific to Nissans) are able to read ATF temps. It has something to do with the data not being accessible through the ECU or something, which is what those apps "talk" to. Nissan/Infiniti tools are able to though.

Note that this may not apply to ALL Nissan/Infiniti models. I believe it may be readable on some older models. Nissan uses a s/w interface called "Consult" with versions I, II, III, and maybe newer. It's the version III s/w that isn't as accessible for all functions.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who chimed in.
I believe one of those infrared thermometers may be the ticket for now.

Or maybe a dip stick?
I am old school, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back