Porsche Suspends All Sales of New Cars in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Pretty soon, only the rich will be able to afford new cars.

Actually, adjusted for inflation, new cars have stayed about the same price for the past couple of decades.

But while they're the same price, they've all added safety and luxury features, things like ABS, side impact structure, stability control, front and side airbags, back-up cameras, and bluetooth, so they are offering a better, safer, more efficient vehicle at that steady price.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Pretty soon, only the rich will be able to afford new cars.

Actually, adjusted for inflation, new cars have stayed about the same price for the past couple of decades.

But while they're the same price, they've all added safety and luxury features, things like ABS, side impact structure, stability control, front and side airbags, back-up cameras, and bluetooth, so they are offering a better, safer, more efficient vehicle at that steady price.

Oh boy, Astro14 Sir, aren't you tired of being right? (J/K)

Case in point: I bought my VW GSW slightly used for way lower then what it cost me 10 years ago for my brand new Yaris. Not even adjusted for inflation.

I think some folks don't realize how good we have it here in US in some ways (deals, gas prices, features and utilities,etc etc), compared with folks from all over the world...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I currently have 2 cars with DI motors. The M235i replaced a Mazdaspeed3 with a turbo DI motor. The MS3 was running as good as new at 158k when I traded it for the 2er. The Clubman has 110k on the clock- no issues there either.
Still, I long for the days when cars had carburetors and distributors with ignition points. They were so much more economical, reliable and faster...
crackmeup2.gif

Maybe to the OPs point, do you notice lots of soot on your M235I tailpipe? (and did you on the MS3?) My GTI seems to soot up the back end big time. Telling me there are "particles" being emitted that maybe shouldn't be? I guess this is what Porsche is looking at? I never noticed any soot coming from my Mustang or my current Frontier.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: MCompact
I currently have 2 cars with DI motors. The M235i replaced a Mazdaspeed3 with a turbo DI motor. The MS3 was running as good as new at 158k when I traded it for the 2er. The Clubman has 110k on the clock- no issues there either.
Still, I long for the days when cars had carburetors and distributors with ignition points. They were so much more economical, reliable and faster...
crackmeup2.gif

Maybe to the OPs point, do you notice lots of soot on your M235I tailpipe? (and did you on the MS3?) My GTI seems to soot up the back end big time. Telling me there are "particles" being emitted that maybe shouldn't be? I guess this is what Porsche is looking at? I never noticed any soot coming from my Mustang or my current Frontier.

I have yet to notice any soot on the 2er. The only time I noticed soot on the hatch of the MS3 was after a three day HPDE.

My sister-in-law's 2017 Mustang 2.3T leaves stubborn black stains on her white rear bumper. Haven't noticed it on my 2018 Mustang, as Ford replaced the painted portions of the rear bumper exhaust surrounds with black plastic. (Ford clearly knows what's up). I thought part of it may be due to her using the cheapest, no-brand gas she can find, but my Mazdaspeed6 sooted the tailpipes every day, and I ran Chevron 93 in it exclusively.

Does the real advantage (cylinder cooling) come from running rich? The manufacturers claim it's due to the extreme fuel pressure and fine mist, so why do they have to run so rich if D.I. inherently cools better? Seems like they'd lean them out if MPG is the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back