I really want to get a subaru but need convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 forester in the driveway.. been there done that with the head gasket now its sitting at almost 400K miles with no driver.. i loved every minute i drove it owning it around 150K worn out miles.

However i would NOT buy a newer one.. Direct injection and CVT is on my list of dont want.

here is a little insight..

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f207/carbon-build-up-748794/

I am waiting on the newer RAV4s to lose some value in a year or two.. they tick all my boxes.
Non-direct injection, Non-CVT.

Millions sold- parts cheap.

I'm not a fan either. There's nothing wrong with them that I'm aware of but when I get in the mood to purchase a new vehicle, which isn't often as my signiture shows, Subaru never crosses my mind. I think you should go try them out. Kick the tires and go for a test drive. Subaru must be at least decent. I see people on this site who like them a lot. You may be one of them.

The VW Alltrack specs 87 octane unlike the GTI. I actually test drove one, didn't like the color (black) and the dealer couldn't get me one in silk blue metallic with a stick despite putting down a $500 deposit. That was refunded to me when I was informed there were only 2 in the United States with a stick in that color and the dealers wouldn't let them go.

I owned an 07' WRX I bought new and sold with 136K on the clock. It was a great car and very reliable.
The only issue was the clutch slave cylinder went out.

Despite having a few issues with the VW in my signature, I like it better than the WRX I had. Nicer interior, better driving dynamics and it is less loud on the freeway than my WRX could ever hope for.
My dad bought my sister a new 2017 Impreza sedan, so she has something reliable and capable to go to the methadone clinic. Fantastic car, but slower than most new econo-boxes merging on the freeway.

Whatever you buy, make sure you like it. Life is too short to be driving around in a boring vehicle.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

Maybe if I was born in Vermont, female loving female I'd have a different perspective on this brand?

Neither of these, but I love my Subies. I don't fit the stereotypical Subaru owner: Southern, male, straight, conservative....that's me and I still like Subaru.

If you are looking at the FB engines, the head gasket issues are not a problem. Entirely different setup than the EJ engines with that issue. We've owned a 13 and 15 Legacy with the 2.5 FB and the wife now has a 17 Forester with the 2.5 FB. No consumption on any of these. As stated, break it in right and it won't burn. Not sure how much snow you deal with but living in the southern Appalachians at around 3300 feet we do get our share of the white stuff. Nothing compares on ice or reasonable amounts of snow. Although I had a 98 Legacy that I drove through snow that had drifted to the hood line. Had Toyota and Honda AWD's, and they make a nice AWD emblem, but that's where the similarities stop. Also have a 17 GMC Denali. I'd rather drive the Subaru on ice. Deep snow is a tie.

Have a great local dealer who isn't into all the Asian superiority pricing hype. Great cars, great dealer, AWD, competitive gas mileage. It's my and my wife's go to brand. Two of them in our current stable, and MANY of them in our driving past.

Last edited:
I had a 2012 Legacy-top of the line. It had the worst paint I have ever seen on a new car (This was a vehicle mind you that stickered at $28,000.00). Subaru refused to do anything (because they are seeing double digit sales increases every year-no motivation to keep an existing customer happy). At 60,000 miles there were squeaks and rattles.

I traded it in around that millage -the squeaks and rattles were the last strw.

I will NEVER OWN another Subaru product.

Last edited:
I had a 1985 Subaru 4 door sedan with 67,000, steering wheel bearings were bad, rack and pinion was shot, catalytic converter, something else big also. It was so bad, several used car dealers turned it down, and new car dealers laughed at a trade in when their mechanic looked at it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I have always wanted a Subaru for some odd reason and I'm not sure why.

I always liked the Outback. Seems Subaru was one of the first ones out of the gate with a 4 wheel drive car. Driving an Outback while listening to John Denver and having your bird dog in the back was a pretty good image in my eyes. Is reality different?
Not sure. Maybe some day.

But the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullabye
Rocky mountain high (Colorado)

Last edited:
VW has a tremendous fully warranty now, even longer than Kia-Hyundai, so that is a consideration for anyone buying.
I like the new-design chassis in the Chevy Equinox (GMC Terrain), with the driveshaft-freezing American Axle disconnect AWD system, similar to the one in the Cherokee too. Hard decision. Also consider the Mazda CX5, one of the top-rated models.

I feel like Subaru is no longer the one to get. Maybe 8 years ago it was, not now. You can be any "orientation" to own it, which is inclusive.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc...esbians/488042/
https://priceonomics.com/how-an-ad-campaign-made-lesbians-fall-in-love-with/
ScreenShot2016-05-20at5.25.20PM.png

We've had two bought new Foresters and have found them to be very satisfactory in use.
The only real rap on the '09 is high fuel consumption for a 3400 lbs vehicle, but Subaru fixed that by the time we bought the '17, with a new engine and CVT.
The '17 has now done only 14K total, but I ran the first change from the factory fill of M1 AFE 0W-20 out to the recommended 6K and saw no consumption.
Subaru's AWD is really magic in treacherous winter conditions and it is trouble free in service.
My wife has put most of the miles on these cars, although I've had both of them on long trips.
The Forester has plenty of ground clearance and suspension travel as well as a very compliant ride. Some confuse this compliance with numbness, but some aggressive cornering will persuade any driver that these are pretty responsive handlers with minimal understeer.
We've obviously been happy with our Foresters, but they are less mainstream in every way than the competing Honda and Toyota CUVs. We like this quality, but not everyone will.
If you want a Subie, scratch the itch. Pretty inexpensive new and very economical in use.
The '09 does eat brakes like no Honda we've ever had, but they're easy and cheap, including the rotors. We'll see about the '17.

CR praises them highly so take it for what is worth; The '18 Forester running its last model year; I like to get cars for myself at the end of the cycle as majority of their bugs if not all worked out, so if its for me I likely would consider it.

Aunt has a 2015 Impreza. Noisy engine, and yes it uses oil. Otherwise great looking little car with a good interior (though I'm comparing this to all my old vehicles, if I was comparing to other 2015+ vehicles the Subaru interior is pretty plain). If you like how they look and drive, buy it, but I wouldn't recommend one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

As you can clearly see, Subaru's advanced AWD system helped those drivers avoid a serious accident.
thumbsup2.gif

Does your post have a point, or did you just feel the need to post what you thought was a cool picture you happened to see?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

As you can clearly see, Subaru's advanced AWD system helped those drivers avoid a serious accident.
thumbsup2.gif

Looks like the Subaru came out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back