Super Tech 0W20 ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jake777
I have a new Honda Odyssey. I love the idea of this price and convenience. Looking st it I see Dexos 1 Gen 2. There are lots of oils out there that don’t meet that spec for more money. I thought Dexos 1 Gen 2 was a stricter requirement than ILSAC GF5 SN. Why should I be worried if it can hold up to deposit testing and high temperature testing requirements of
Dexos?

The new blue bottle ST synthetic is made by Citgo...at least in my area...It's probably identical to Harvest King which is also made by Citgo.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
0w 30 would be cool too. Alhtough you can get 0w30 M1 AFE at about 20$ at wallyworld on sale

And it's much better quality...

Was this supposed to be funny?

Originally Posted By: pbm
.....The new blue bottle ST synthetic is made by Citgo...at least in my area...It's probably identical to Harvest King which is also made by Citgo.

Not doubting you, but how can you tell?

The same jugs pictured are sold at local WMs here (including topic 0w20 now), no identifying marks/emblems on the bottom. No WPP/WNE/WSE on the bottom of jug, however consensus here is still Warren Dist/Performance blended oil. When I contacted Warren they said they no longer had those emblems on all jugs, but wouldn't give an identifier to tell if it's Warren. The only thing I saw recently was a W at the start of the date code at the lower front of the jug. Not sure if that is an identifier.

Is there some mark, emblem or jug shape that identifies Citgo as the blender/maker?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: avacado11
Just copped a 5 quart jug of Supertech FS 0W20 and a M1 EP oil filter for $27 for my Subaru. The blue bottle does not have anything labeled under it so maybe Walmart got smart and made their own bottles. Not sure who supplies the oil. .. .. for now I say ST is probably on the same level as whatever the dealer puts in.

IF you have the 4-cylinder FB25, most aftermarket oil filters don't have Subaru's higher bypass valve pressure threshold. Wix 57055 and NAPA Gold 7055 does, and of course go with the Subaru-labelled OEM oil filter as another possibility. Not the Mobil1 oil filter or any Fram I know of, avoid them. Also, avoid Purolator because of past quality problems. I'd just run the Mobil1 oil filter for one oil change interval, and change it out next time with a Wix or NapaGold or OEM Subaru filter.

Last I saw, Warren Distribution blends and supplies Walmart's SuperTech oil, considered just fine and has the high performance dexos1 Gen2 rating, so good choice.
ST oil is likely about the same syn oil quality level (GroupIII) as Subaru dealer oil, with the added benefit that ST actually is proven to pass higher specs than Subaru's oil.

Does anyone here actually have a definitive answer on how important the high pressure bypass valve is on a Subaru? What is the actual danger of running a different filter?

Originally Posted By: 853okg
Does anyone here actually have a definitive answer on how important the high pressure bypass valve is on a Subaru? What is the actual danger of running a different filter?
GM is also strongly recommending a higher bypass pressure for just about all their engines built in the last 7 years, coincidentally (or not) about the same 22 psi bypass pressure threshold as Subaru specs.
They explain it in: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/att...f-pf64-pf48.pdf if you want to read that. Subaru likely has the same or similar reasons.

In a nutshell, for certain engines with high oil flow and/or tight clearances and/or a variable displacement oil pump controlled by feedback from a pressure sensor way downstream of the oil pump outlet instead of at the outlet itself, ..... all this can result in way too many bypass events where oil washes over the dirty side of the oil filter and washes some gunk directly into your expensive engine. ..... Bottom line: Some risk for engine failure from a chunk getting through, and some long-term risk of extra internal wear due to innocuous chunks getting through (like 100 - 500 micron sized particles). A higher bypass threshold drastically lowers the number of bypass events, according to GM's warnings.

If you're using a low-bypass-pressure (the wrong!) oil filter, then at least only run it during the summer months, when viscosity is always low.
Thick high viscosity cold oil creates large oil filter media differential pressure much more and can pop the bypass valve even more than thin oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: csufl
So how can you tell which oil filter is low-bypass-pressure oil filter?
Sometimes its hard to find the bypass pressure spec for any particular oil filter. That's probably why Fram and other oil filter makers feel free to recommend "whatever fills the space", since they think nobody cares or knows. And they are probably right about that.

To their credit, Fram, Wix, and NAPA have good web pages that include the bypass spec for a particular filter.

Try this: Use their search-application tool, or simply put in the part number you're looking for in the URL:
like .... http://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG10575/ .... notice the XG10575, replace that with any valid Fram oil filter part number you'd like..

Wix's and NAPA (same filter really) have very good data online. http://www.nfhconnect.com/Lookup/ApplicationLookup?Section=1 is NAPA's. Wix's similar.

So insist on greater than about 20 psi for Subaru 4-cylinders and most GM engines. Few other makes/models appear to think this is a problem with their engines.

Last edited:
0w 30 would be cool too. Alhtough you can get 0w30 M1 AFE at about 20$ at wallyworld on sale

LOL aren't you the guy asking what kind of oil to run in that $300 Contour you were looking at buying? No offense but I'm not sure about your definition of "better".
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: jayg

LOL aren't you the guy asking what kind of oil to run in that $300 Contour you were looking at buying? No offense but I'm not sure about your definition of "better".
whistle.gif

Mobil1 AFE 0w30 may have an edge over SuperTech full-syn. Mobil1 0w30 is about 1/5 PAO according to the latest data sheet. Assuming SuperTech is all GroupIII, this could give the edge to Mobil1 AFE 0w30 here in quality.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: pbm
.....The new blue bottle ST synthetic is made by Citgo...at least in my area...It's probably identical to Harvest King which is also made by Citgo.

Not doubting you, but how can you tell?

The same jugs pictured are sold at local WMs here (including topic 0w20 now), no identifying marks/emblems on the bottom. No WPP/WNE/WSE on the bottom of jug, however consensus here is still Warren Dist/Performance blended oil. When I contacted Warren they said they no longer had those emblems on all jugs, but wouldn't give an identifier to tell if it's Warren. The only thing I saw recently was a W at the start of the date code at the lower front of the jug. Not sure if that is an identifier.

Is there some mark, emblem or jug shape that identifies Citgo as the blender/maker?

When I was in Florida a few months ago I found that Amalie was the maker of ST synthetic while WPP still made the version I could buy in NY.....I can't remember what put it in my head that Citgo makes the new blue bottle version...maybe I read it on this website...but come to think of it...the bottles of Harvest King oil are different than the new blue ST bottles. ...Maybe my statement about this oil being made by Citgo is incorrect....sorry...

PS: I'm nearly certain I read it on this site....which doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

^^^^ No problem, just wondering. Many point to the Dexos license number(s)as the Warren Dist identifier. Whatever the case, said before that if Warren is still blender of ST Syn in blue jugs, imo not a great corporate decision to eliminate the WPP identifiers on the bottom of the jugs.

^^^^ No problem, just wondering. Many point to the Dexos license number(s)as the Warren Dist identifier. Whatever the case, said before that if Warren is still blender of ST Syn in blue jugs, imo not a great corporate decision to eliminate the WPP identifiers on the bottom of the jugs.

Only BITOG members care about jug markings. 99.9% of buyers do not care.

Very good point

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: avacado11
Just copped a 5 quart jug of Supertech FS 0W20 and a M1 EP oil filter for $27 for my Subaru. The blue bottle does not have anything labeled under it so maybe Walmart got smart and made their own bottles. Not sure who supplies the oil. .. .. for now I say ST is probably on the same level as whatever the dealer puts in.

IF you have the 4-cylinder FB25, most aftermarket oil filters don't have Subaru's higher bypass valve pressure threshold. Wix 57055 and NAPA Gold 7055 does, and of course go with the Subaru-labelled OEM oil filter as another possibility. Not the Mobil1 oil filter or any Fram I know of, avoid them. Also, avoid Purolator because of past quality problems. I'd just run the Mobil1 oil filter for one oil change interval, and change it out next time with a Wix or NapaGold or OEM Subaru filter.

Last I saw, Warren Distribution blends and supplies Walmart's SuperTech oil, considered just fine and has the high performance dexos1 Gen2 rating, so good choice.
ST oil is likely about the same syn oil quality level (GroupIII) as Subaru dealer oil, with the added benefit that ST actually is proven to pass higher specs than Subaru's oil.

Man I wish I knew about the bypass valve. Already threw the filter on, I’m sure it’d be fine. I’ve ran it before on my other Subarus.

Attempted to do an oil change and the drain bolt was over tightened by the dealer who did my previous change. Had to take it to the dealer and decided to test them, see if they’d actually use the oil I bring. Brought Royal Purple 0W20 cause I know their oil is dyed purple. Well they did use it and IMO the engine ran smoother and quieter with that in it compared to whatever was in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back