C&P Hastings LF240 @ 10,000 miles - 96 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Hastings LF240, which is equivalent to a Fram PH7317. I have another thread going about the UOA related to this filter, in which Blackstone reported high lead. I cut open the filter to see if I might spot anything unusual, but I don't. It looks a lot like all the other filters I cut open for this car. I would comment that the Hastings seems to have above average construction, especially given the high miles. There is the standard pleat irregularity at the seam, but that's about it. Nitrile ADBV was not as pliable as I'd have liked to see, but this isn't a premium filter by any means; think I paid less than $3 for it.

The last image in where there is a tear, was a deliberate attempt to open up the pleat to see if there was any metal embedded with it. The filter was not torn. If there are obvious metal flakes showing it's because I used an angle grinder to open the filter up, which spews metal sparks all over. I wasn't able to locate any obvious signs of metal inside the pleats.

Unfortunately you have to click on image for full size.

I will say it looks good, thanks for the c&p sir
smile.gif

Good to see no signs of metal! You can always back flush it with mineral spirits into a coffee filter to double check if so inclined.

I have tons of these and noticed the center tube was distorted from new
and
did not seal off against the baseplate. If you take a flashlight to the top you
maybe able to see it. Mine had sealant but long gaps were not sealed.

Does look very good. I have run one on my Altima 3.5 VQ. This filter does have a good amount of heft to it.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Needs a couple more pleats around the seam for my liking.

I agree-- why filter manufacturers can't get the seam right is beyond me. I see this in a lot of major brands; they've only been making filters for what, 50 years or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back