Car buying and lessons learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying a new car is extremely dealer dependent. When I bought my Camry, it couldn't have been smoother. The dealer quoted me a price over email and I bought the car. They even found an extra $500 discount I didn't know about and took that off the bottom line. A Honda dealer was also very bottom line oriented with their prices over email. My local Honda dealer wouldn't give me a bottom line price. Only wanted me to come in talk to them.

Personally, if something was changed on the final paperwork that wasn't expected and wasn't in my favor, the deal would be off. That's not what we agreed to. You think I'm all excited to pick up my new car and I'll acquiesce to a higher payment? Not happening.

I don't understand why people even worry about if they got a good deal or not anymore...

With edmunds, etc there are many many ways to find out what a dealer invoice price is, holdback, rebates, and on and on.

Find the car you want, plug in the options, and a few clicks later you can walk in and say to the salesman "invoice is this price on this particular car, how much money do you want to make today?"

Also as said above have your financing pre approved prior to going to the dealer, and you can also say "my bank is giving me ____% financing, beat that percentage rate and I'll go through you".

Originally Posted By: dishdude
. The lenders must have increased the commission on the back end .... or really making an incentive for them to hit a certain number of loans.

I'm sure it BOTH....

Plus several other reasons.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Usually when there's a choice between financing and a rebate, it's always better to take the rebate and get your own financing. Penfed right now is at 2.5% for financing so that's a good rate from your credit unit. I think there are a few other credit unions that beat Penfed once in a while but not by much.

don't let the dealership lie to you. When they offer say .9 per cent finance / 1000 off, and they say you have to pick one, no way. You can get both, if not, walk.

Easiest way to buy a new vehicle is look up invoice, subtract rebates. If its 25k with 1k rebate, the offer is 24k + the stupid 300 buck or whatever doc fee, that is all, and special finance rate if offered. Tell them to be happy with their hold back money and if not, just leave. Dealing with the internet sales department is much easier, also consider that. This logic goes for toyotas or companies that don't offer huge discounts, like chevy where they discount huge off sticker price to actually move their product.

Also, pay registration separate, don't add into a loan if taken.

The pickup was easy car delivered at said price using wife's Credit Union who sent over forms to sign. The rate was 2.75% at Credit Union is correcting loan down to 2.5% as they had her setup direct deposit for paycheck/direct debit payments.

Much better then 4.86% shocker they threw one us.

The end result is my wife is really happy with vehicle and the end of sale process.

ps: VW has a phamplet included they recommend Castrol Edge Oil in the owner's book.

CONGRATS!!!

First impressions?
Kiddos impressions? Comments? Do they miss the old Soobie?

So now that you have it:
-chairs comfort?
-visibility?
-first/second gas fill?
-Yay or Nay to the stock tires?
-hidden cubbies?
-any mods planned?
-any protection planned? (back seats, back floor, door sills)

Originally Posted By: pandus13
CONGRATS!!!

First impressions?
Kiddos impressions? Comments? Do they miss the old Soobie?

So now that you have it:
-chairs comfort?
-visibility?
-first/second gas fill?
-Yay or Nay to the stock tires?
-hidden cubbies?
-any mods planned?
-any protection planned? (back seats, back floor, door sills)

Thanks only 10 miles of seat time. Visibility is very good. Otherwise too new to tell.

I like the quickly available power for normal driving. I think makes max torque 1600RPM-4600RPM.

Kids very excited and like the space vs their old Subaru but artsy 12 year old not into the stark VW business interior.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
... but artsy 12 year old not into the stark VW business interior.

dog protection kit (seats, back of driving chairs, door sills) and some plastic/textile spray paint...
or one of the back of driving chairs protector mats with 101 pockets.....

the low MFR % rates on loans are usually only for 3 years and tier 1 credit. If you have neither you wont get that, but they use that hook to get you in the door. As was said your credit union will usually have a better rate than dealer financing so getting that done and out of the way is the best bet.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

Easiest way to buy a new vehicle is look up invoice, subtract rebates. If its 25k with 1k rebate, the offer is 24k + the stupid 300 buck or whatever doc fee, that is all, and special finance rate if offered. Tell them to be happy with their hold back money and if not, just leave. Dealing with the internet sales department is much easier, also consider that. This logic goes for toyotas or companies that don't offer huge discounts, like chevy where they discount huge off sticker price to actually move their product.

Also, pay registration separate, don't add into a loan if taken.

I'm with ya on most of that, but some rebates come off pre tax, some after. The "cash back" incentives I've gotten from new, domestic vehicle purchase only applied after tax.

Luckily, I've never experienced a dealer charge of more than $75 for doc/dealer fees.

I've also found that getting a really low interest rate can depend on the dealership. It seems the huge mega chain dealers have more pull with lenders than small dealers. I just experienced that with my 2017 Ram purchase. The best the dealer could do for me was ~3.8% for 60 and my credit score is over 800. I got 2.49% for up to 72mo through my employer's credit union.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
If they are this grossly unprofessional in the beginning, they aren't going to get any better.
Walk away and don't look back.
Find another dealer.
It is their job to please you, not your job to please them.

+1, well said.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back