Jack Horner Ted Talks - Dinosaurs - good fun watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
First one has some :doh: moments on classification as species versus same species, different ages.

And how to build a "Chickenosaur"

This is why we need to nuture dyslexics, a different persective. Juveniles have been mistaken many times...red billed gulls and black bill gulls - black bill are just young red billed, although there are black billed, not not as common. What we call a Molly Hawk is a young black back gull.

I'll show this to my granddaughter tomorrow...of course she knows all her dinosaurs.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Excellent post! Ego, misinterpretation, misidentification, plain old jumping the gun.

Horner has always been controversial. From his opinion that T-Rex was primarily a scavenger t

I doubt we will ever know the full story, it's over sixty million years since they last walked the Planet (or 4.500 years according some).
100 year ago it was popularly believed hyenas were scavengers picking up leftovers from the noble lions kills. However as usual the reality is just about any predator will scavenge or hunt according to circumstances, but will always take the easiest meal. Why hunt for your own meal if you can steal someone elses for less risk?.

Claud.

I read her books in the '80's and '90's, makes perfect sense to me. I'll watch her video today. Showed my granddaughter the dino ones last night, she really enjoyed them.

Silk,
one of my favourite podcasters (and author), Gordon White has some good commentary about finding the "missing link(s).

And it hinges on the fact that we were predominantly coastal in our migration, before moving inland. and tht during periods like the ice age, the coast was way out in what is now water. We aren't looking where the people used to largely be.

(e.g. a lot of the easter island quarries need scuba gear to reach)

She explains it in depth in her books (3 of them I think)the pod cast is only a glimps at her theory, she goes back to the Rift Valley, where there was a choice, go with the jungle, or stay with the water. It's 30 years since I read her books, but am a firm believer, growing up at a beach, I was a water babie, in the water before I could walk, and grew up in that thin margin between shore and deep water. It's just a natural place for humans to be.

I can't make the video imbed.

https://www.ted.com/talks/elaine_morgan_says_we_evolved_from_aquatic_apes#t-1017428

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Silk,
one of my favourite podcasters (and author), Gordon White has some good commentary about finding the "missing link(s).

And it hinges on the fact that we were predominantly coastal in our migration, before moving inland. and tht during periods like the ice age, the coast was way out in what is now water. We aren't looking where the people used to largely be.

(e.g. a lot of the easter island quarries need scuba gear to reach)

Originally Posted By: Silk
She explains it in depth in her books (3 of them I think)the pod cast is only a glimps at her theory, she goes back to the Rift Valley, where there was a choice, go with the jungle, or stay with the water. It's 30 years since I read her books, but am a firm believer, growing up at a beach, I was a water babie, in the water before I could walk, and grew up in that thin margin between shore and deep water. It's just a natural place for humans to be.

I can't make the video imbed.

https://www.ted.com/talks/elaine_morgan_says_we_evolved_from_aquatic_apes#t-1017428

Going to look this up. Very interesting. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back