Got the Tesla Model 3 Invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you can get a base model it would be $30k+13% tax here. Combined with $5/gal gas this morning, and a 5s 0-60, it almost seems dumb not to get one as our local car as my electricity price doesn't go up 10-20% overnight for no reason.(It actually gets cheaper every night)

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Tesla stopped production just recently and this is not the first time. Reading this article may give some insights.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla...y-idUSKBN1HN347

Disclosure: I am not a fan of Tesla nor Musk. The business model he employs is another version of the shell game.

If you're just thinking of a regular car, first year production problems are always there. And Tesla is basically a new car company. Established brands have trouble making good first year car models. Usually you find out about the problems a couple years later when everyone else has the same problem, not at initial production.

On the other hand, the rebate is still there, if you wait longer, it will be gone.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
If you're just thinking of a regular car, first year production problems are always there. And Tesla is basically a new car company. Established brands have trouble making good first year car models.

Pretty sure Tesla's track record is significantly worse than the average for even first-model-year cars from established brands.

Tesla continues to disappoint as a business. The quality and quantity they can produce is quite limited. They keep burning investor capital at a rapid rate. So I don't think i would buy one today. If they become a solid stable profitable car company that can produce in higher quantity i would be tempted. I don't like what i have seen from Tesla in regards to DIY repair or part replacement or out of warranty service.

Waiting may net you a better quality model 3. It also may put you outside the production quantity of getting that federal EV tax credit. Tough call.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Tesla continues to disappoint as a business. The quality and quantity they can produce is quite limited. They keep burning investor capital at a rapid rate. So I don't think i would buy one today. If they become a solid stable profitable car company that can produce in higher quantity i would be tempted. I don't like what i have seen from Tesla in regards to DIY repair or part replacement or out of warranty service.

Waiting may net you a better quality model 3. It also may put you outside the production quantity of getting that federal EV tax credit. Tough call.

Yeah, I don't like the DIY repair or the lack of independent dealerships. A couple very surprising things about Mercedes is that they have very good DIY resources although some of them aren't quite legal. You can get DVD copies of the repair manuals which is their WIS on eBay for $10, that even includes EPC which is their electronics parts lookup, all you do is punch in the vin and it tells you want part goes with the car. Even the legit route isn't that bad, $60 a day for access to their repair site and you can download as much as you can and $75 a year for the parts lookup although if you give the vin to any dealer, they'd look up the parts for free. There are also generic scanners that will do MB specific trouble codes in the $100 range and if you want a knock off of the real diagnostic tool that the dealers use which they pay thousands for, a knock off from China is about $600-$700. And of course various dealers will discount up to 30% on OEM parts, that seems to be pretty standard with most other car brands too.

With Tesla controlling everything, you get none of that.

I think if their profit margins are high enough, they could turn the corner once they start producing in significant volume.

Anybody willing to twist my arm to go for the ridiculous performance version? Unfortunately, the test drive of that car did put smile on my face but my last mega million ticket missed by only 6 numbers :) I have put the deposit for the currently cheapest one available but I could "upgrade" if I were to be coerced in to buying more expensive one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vikas
Anybody willing to twist my arm to go for the ridiculous performance version? Unfortunately, the test drive of that car did put smile on my face but my last mega million ticket missed by only 6 numbers :) I have put the deposit for the currently cheapest one available but I could "upgrade" if I were to be coerced in to buying more expensive one.

I can think of plenty of actual performance cars that you can go buy right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back