Scratches from Auto car wash

Status
Not open for further replies.
our touch free car washes around here do such a poor job of removing all the dirt that towel drying after would guarantee just grinding in the fine dirt layer that remains! The cars look ok from a distance after a tf car wash...but if you look closely you can usually see enough of a thin dirt layer that you could still write your name in the paint (if you were blasphemous enough to actually touch the paint!)

Automatic car washes,, never. Also the soap they use is harsh plusthe water may be recycled so too many what if’s.

Wash by hand always. If not possible use the coin op power washers to clean off salt etc but even those use harsh soaps.

Sorry, the name of the game at these places is to do is fast, not necessarily do it well or taking care of your finish. It's no surprise you got scratches.

The idea of going to a self-wash and doing a regular car wash there doesn't work either, they want you in and out of the bay...fast.

These places wash hundreds of cars, in my area they employ what looks to be off the books, illegal immigrant labor just like every other business in my area to do the final clean up. Do I think they can afford to use new clean materials or even clean what they have? Not really. I'm going to bet they're using the same dirty materials.

It's a trade-off. I'd rather do it myself and slow rather than have someone else do it fast and risk my finish.

Originally Posted By: ZebRuaj
Go to the quarter car wash, bring your buckets, soap, and mit. Use the bay for their pressure washer and enclosed heated environment. You might get a few stares, but more so folks who inquire why you are doing what you are. It's a teachable moment if you care for that.

There are signs on the ones here that tells you not to do this.......

Originally Posted By: Chris142
heated?

When you're washing a car in January in Minnesota, believe me, you will want to do it in a heated facility.
wink.gif

PimTac: It depends on the chemical manufacturer. Some chemical products for automatic washes are identical to what's used in bay pressure washers.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Sorry, the name of the game at these places is to do is fast, not necessarily do it well or taking care of your finish. It's no surprise you got scratches.

The idea of going to a self-wash and doing a regular car wash there doesn't work either, they want you in and out of the bay...fast.

These places wash hundreds of cars, in my area they employ what looks to be off the books, illegal immigrant labor just like every other business in my area to do the final clean up. Do I think they can afford to use new clean materials or even clean what they have? Not really. I'm going to bet they're using the same dirty materials.

It's a trade-off. I'd rather do it myself and slow rather than have someone else do it fast and risk my finish.

Exactly. You must drive by the same car washes I do. LOL Note operative words, drive by, I wouldn't dare pull into one.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

Well said. I've yet to find any of these drive-thru or similar automatic washes that don't do it as cheaply and quickly as possible.

..and, as the saying goes:

1) Do it fast
2) Do it cheap
3) Do it right

--> Pick 2 span>

In this case, "do it right" means do a good job of cleaning the car without instilling damage/scratches/swirls.. I've never found any auto wash that can do this. For me, doing it at home, myself, is the only sure way.

I will never go to any car wash. I watched one of the guys drying the car drop the towel on the ground and pick it up to finish drying the car. When I went and looked at the car there was a huge scratch in it and neither him nor the establishment take responsibility. If I don't wash it myself I will call a mobile detailer out to wash it for me.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I avoid that washes that have the towel drying people at the end. Even read an article about it years ago that said to skip these reaffirming what I believed. Plus the pressure they exert on the car's paint while drying. No wonder it leaves damage.

Many washes will have a spot free rinse combined with a good, heated blowers at the end. Then I can go over it with a plush MF towel and some detailer. Voila!

With a good sealant that's been allowed to properly cure and an ipa wipe down prior to a sealant being applied I'm amazed at how good the car looks with just a spray down from the diy wash. Only $2 for a few minutes and focus mainly on the lower half of the car. Quick and easy way to get rid of the salt spray.

Another car wash I avoid are the ones that have employees with brushes that scrub the car before it goes into the wash. Maybe if they were boar's hair brushes but they don't look like it.

The only time I want to run thru a touch car wash is during the winter when the touchless places just can’t get the grime off. Doesn’t matter how many passes you go thru but without agitation that thin layer of dirt just doesn’t effing go away.

I do not know what causes scratches but my Mazda is full of scratches having been tehre very other week. Based on this, my lady told me to avoide these for our luxury auto and its been doing quite okay without these mechanised places. The belief is its the whiplashing cleaning clothes.

Originally Posted By: ted s
touch less ones scrath by driving the dirt into the paint

During the winter months I use "Classy Car" wash to get the grime and salt off. Auto arm spray, blow dry, no touch. It starts with a foaming then rinse so it does get most of the dirt off pretty gently Not perfect but better then the dirty micro fiber curtains used at the very popular car washes here.

Originally Posted By: ted s
touch less ones scrath by driving the dirt into the paint
Read that aloud to yourself again, real slowly.

After doing a 90% correction on my new to me 09 G8 I quickly realized anything other than a very time consuming two bucket wash with careful towel dry was going to scratch my car. And even at that if you didn't clean the towels properly, missed a spot, or even didn't rinse the wash MIT out properly you were going to get scratches. For a special car this isn't a big deal, but for a daily driver that hauls kids to school, runs errands, etc it's too much, especially in the winter. My car now occasionally hits the local wash, itself a Brushed type. Brushless may be less damage but considering I have yet to have one get my car actually clean they seem like a waste of money, not to mention I doubt my wax likes getting blasted with high pressure water.
Your choice is really to live with the convenience and get used to polishing (I do it twice a year), or become some anal retentive jerk over something so trite as car paint.

I have not hand washed or hand waxed a vehicle since about the 70's back in HS. I go through the automatic brush type car washes. I am more concerned about washing the salt brine off, I reckon my paint probably is scratched , but to be honest I really do not look that close. I usually keep my rides till 300K and by then I could care less if paint is scratched or not. The touchless do not seem to get dirt and grime off near as well. Our Tuscan already had aMing treatment before we bought it and it looks no better than our other 2 vehicles that do not have it. What little wax my cars get come formthe automatic car washes.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
They will scratch your car year round, the world over.

Correct. The local gas station offered a free wash with a premium fill up. Twice a week, I'd fill up my Turbo Merkur XR4ti and get the wash.

After 2 years, the car looked like straw. I don't know how else to describe it, but the scratches were all oriented front to back, they were everywhere and they were so bad, they gave the paint a unique appearance.

CarWashScratches02.jpg

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Brush car washes and walmart oil changes.

Not on my watch.

I agree. Those type car washes are miniature WM techs beating your paint with drain plugs they forgot to install.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back