New car, do you trade in or sell yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned a trade in 13 years /230k miles rare model is terrible like $1000. Do nothing to lose I was able to use Craiglist posting a virtual number to text lots of scam/fraud however real people contacted me. The >200k scared most but a savvy buyer offered cash with found/revealed oil dripping and I bit on $2000 cash.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Look for a black turbo.

247.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've only ever sold privately, I'm only 23 so it's not like I've been doing it for countless years.

Last year I bought my Sonata and parked my Camry. 14 months later, it's still sitting in the street in front of my house... I don't know what to do with it. It's such a good car, but not worth much so it won't really benefit me to sell it.

Sell Camry and put money into your IRA.

After a guy's body was dumped near my house, who was killed trying to see his car on Craig's List, it's a no brainer for me...

Originally Posted By: motts
When you trade in the old car the amount of the trade reduces your tax on the purchase of a new car
This is true in some states but not all states.

Traded my 3 year old 2015 Tacoma 4.0 for a new 2018 Frontier 2.5 and saved approx. $1500 in tax. Also drove away from the dealer with a $2600 check. No stress involved.

I just sold our old CRV myself. Didn't get quite as much as I thought I would, but the subaru dealer didn't want it for half as much as I got so I guess I am still ahead.

Originally Posted By: motts
When you trade in the old car the amount of the trade reduces your tax on the purchase of a new car

Might do that if I was in NY, but NM taxes car sale at 3% and as a bonus, my personalized plate is $17/year. I am always going to sell myself.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I've only ever sold privately, I'm only 23 so it's not like I've been doing it for countless years.

Last year I bought my Sonata and parked my Camry. 14 months later, it's still sitting in the street in front of my house... I don't know what to do with it. It's such a good car, but not worth much so it won't really benefit me to sell it.

It's only worth maybe $800 so
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

It's only worth maybe $800 so
21.gif

You're 23. Put the $800 in something with some risk and forget about it for 40 years. The Camry is costing you insurance and registration while it's sitting there.

Or pay down the Hundy.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

You're 23. Put the $800 in something with some risk and forget about it. The Camry is costing you insurance and registration while it's sitting there.

Or pay down the Hundy.
Insurance was cancelled when I parked it, registration was renewed for 5 years for dirt cheap in January of '17. I sneak it out to the $3 car was every couple months so it doesn't look too bad outside.

I would never trade in to the dealer. You never get anywhere near the real value of the car. If the dealer is giving you more than it seems they should for the trade-in it's only because they are making that money back on the new car.

Private sale. I like to tell the person that buys the car what it's real condition is and what I've been doing for maintenance. Life's too short to try to put one over on someone that needs transportation.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I would never trade in to the dealer. You never get anywhere near the real value of the car. If the dealer is giving you more than it seems they should for the trade-in it's only because they are making that money back on the new car.

Numbers are numbers.

I don't care how much money they make, so long as I get the price I want for my car and theirs; why should I? Good for them for screwing the last guy lol.

Less hassle just to trade it in.When I am home the last thing I want to do is to be showing a vehicle to someone who probably wont buy it anyway.Even though I probably get less money by trading vs a private sale for me it is worth it just for the ease of it.

That is a good point, my uncle tried to sell a vehicle once and within a few days his garage was broken into and a bunch of his tools were stolen. He always suspected that it was some local idiots who had came over to look at his vehicle and he had his garage door open and had many nice tool sets. This happened in Sioux Falls SD about 3-4 years ago. He ended up trading it and never tried to sell a vehicle privately since. He said he had a strong suspicion after they left that they were more interested in casing out his place rather than buying the vehicle. No proof but he had his suspicions.

Insurance was cancelled when I parked it, registration was renewed for 5 years for dirt cheap in January of '17. I sneak it out to the $3 car was every couple months so it doesn't look too bad outside.

If you just happen to get caught sneaking that car to be washed, suddenly it's going to be an expensive parked vehicle...although I know the chances are pretty slim, or course.

The only car I didn't trade in was my Outback, the Toyota dealer offered me next to nothing for it and I felt like I didn't have much leverage because it had already taken months to track down the RAV6 I was buying. Didn't want to be making all kinds of appointments for random people to be coming to my house or work and putting it outside with a FOR SALE sign wasn't likely to work because I live on a street with almost zero outside traffic, so I took it to a consignment place.

Place seemed somewhat sleazy, but they did find an interested buyer pretty quickly. The dealer then calls me and says there is a snag, turns out they think the Outback still has its original timing belt at 140,000 or whatever miles...I call BeeEss on that and get my paperwork out. I had a very expensive 90,000 mile service and that was when the dealer recommended replacing the belt...nope, no signs of a timing belt replacement on that long list. I call the dealer and they say the customer has to request that and it's not part of their standard 90k service...I got pretty hot and asked them what the (heck) I paid $800 or whatever for at that service, and OH they changed the plugs and fluids, did a THOROUGH inspection, etc. It was a great scam, the 90kmile service was way more expensive than the 60kmile one because they knew people would think the timing belt would be done, but they didn't actually do any more work at that service.

So, I got rid of the car but didn't end up making all that much more than I would have gotten from the trade in, maybe $300, and it was a bit of a hassle and a waste of my time. The really funny thing was that a county sheriff showed up at the dealer while I was finalizing the paperwork and asked to speak to the owner...and, he also seemed to know everybody there. My salesman saw the look of alarm on my face and assured me, "This has NEVER happened before!"...yeah, right. I did say it seemed sleazy...

Think I will just keep trading in from now on.
So, the consignment dealer tells me the interested party wants the belt done at no cost to them, supposedly this dealer gave me a really good rate on the service being done at their own shop but I'd be willing to bet they sprayed on the old belt to make it look shiny and pocketed the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back