Boeing is still changing how the world flys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

I remember seeing the 707 with my dad the first time it landed in SFO airport. It was a game changer. Then the 747 that is my girl,, another game changer ! The 777 it was good!! The 787 and the latest 797. Boeing seems to lead the pack .

One of my first flights was on a Boeing 707 or 717. I can’t remember back that far. Went from Seattle to Oakland. Have since been on numerous 737, 757, 767, and 747. One flight was on the upper deck business class first row starboard. Flight was full and the airline had double booked our seats. We were whisked up the stairs and enjoyed a 14 hour transpacific flight. The last few years it has been 788 and 789 exclusively. The Dreamliners are definitely quieter in most regards and the air system and cabin pressure do help with fatigue on the other end.

Some of the 787s have a loud windup siren sound during startup. I always wonder what that is and the newer versions don’t seem to do it.

I remember as young man standing between the west shore of the Cedar River and the Airfield in Renton watch the 707 take off on its maiden flight. Things were a lot different then and half the town was standing along both sides of the runway. We had ridden down to Renton field in my friend Jim Lorenz in the rumble seat of his dads 1931 Ford coupe. Yes those were the good ole days!

Originally Posted By: csandste
And we'll see how many Chinese orders are changed to Air Bus.

They can fly that aIR bUS Scat if they want they'll be back trust me!

Originally Posted By: expat
My first flight was on a de Havilland Comet THAT was a game changer.

It really was. To bad it had a design fault that ruined it reputation that it could never recover from.

My house is located SE of Renton Muni, site of the Boeing 737/P-8 production lines. With a southerly departure, the new planes will have just started their turn to the east over my house to begin a short circle around Lake Washington to line up for BFI to get to Boeing's commercial or military delivery centers. Today two new 737's and one P-8 departed Renton while I was working in the yard; formerly very rare on a Sunday. Boeing currently has a backlog of 4,668 737's, per their website. Production rate for now is 47 planes per month, increasing to 52 per month by the end of the year, and another jump to 57 in 2019.

Now, if Boeing could just export some of that P-8 Poseiden success to Everett for the KC-46 program everybody would be very pleased.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
More Boeing barrel rolls would add some excitement in flying in a big boring aluminum tube...

OMG can you imagine all the 'comfort' animals floating around in the cabin?

Originally Posted By: honeeagle
More Boeing barrel rolls would add some excitement in flying in a big boring aluminum tube...

They wouldn't be...a barrel roll like this, done by a pro like Tex Johnson, is a constant 1G maneuver...

Bob Hoover used to pour a glass of tea while rolling his airplane through a barrel roll.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

They wouldn't be...a barrel roll like this, done by a pro like Tex Johnson, is a constant 1G maneuver...

Bob Hoover used to pour a glass of tea while rolling his airplane through a barrel roll.

You should just do one sometime and see if anyone notices!
wink.gif
Maybe on your last day?

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: expat
My first flight was on a de Havilland Comet THAT was a game changer.

It really was. To bad it had a design fault that ruined it reputation that it could never recover from.

all those folks killed will destroy a reputation.

rod

I remember when I first stepped onto a 744, back in 1997 as a kid. That plane will always be the pinnacle of Boeing for me. I want to fly a 773/787 or the new 777X. When I fly, it's almost always a 737-700, with the occasional 738. Maybe a MAX 8 this year.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: csandste
And we'll see how many Chinese orders are changed to Air Bus.

They can fly that aIR bUS Scat if they want they'll be back trust me!

Airbus has the short-haul market on lock, but the P&W engined A320neo is having issues left and right. Right now, Airbus is running 3 lines for the A320 series, one in France/China/Alabama - more LCCs pick the A320 than the 737(except for Southwest which isn't that much of an LCC anymore and RyanAir). Spirit, Delta and JetBlue are keeping the Alabama plant busy.

Tex Johnson could roll the "animals" and not even spill their
drinks... my friend Bob Hoover demonstrates... they are what we call a
pilot's pilot because they can positively roll and pour tee at the same time...

Sitting next to the legend...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

You should just do one sometime and see if anyone notices!
wink.gif
Maybe on your last day?

If they close their eyes they might not even noticed they were rolled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back