2000 - 2005 Toyota 4 Runner vs Nissan Pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
4Runner for me, and I don't even care for Toyotas.
But I'd skip both and go with an Isuzu Rodeo. Actually, I used to own a 2003 Rodeo. I'd love another one.

Statistically, you'd be better off with the 4Runner. However, drive both as you're talking about vehicles that are between 13-18 years old and condition will be a large factor.

Honestly when you start looking at vehicles that old, I don't think brand matters as much as how well cared for they are.

2004-05 4Runner's with the V6 have had head gasket issues. Despite this, I love mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
But I'd skip both and go with an Isuzu Rodeo. Actually, I used to own a 2003 Rodeo. I'd love another one.

Did the rodeo and the passport rebadge have transmission issues in this time frame or am I thinking of something else?

My father in law had a 2005 Pathfinder and it held up very well despite his lack of maintenance and poor driving. They're known for the transmission cooler in the radiator failing, which mixes coolant with the ATF and wrecks the transmission. My FIL's had that problem and he had to get the transmission rebuilt around 180k miles. He retired the car after about 220k miles, still running great.

I have an 03 4Runner with the 4.7L V8. The only maintenance besides oil changes and tires/front brake pads has been a timing belt/water pump and spark plugs at 100K. I tow a horse trailer over terrible dirt roads frequently and have never had any problems.

The only down side has been fuel mileage. It's 18 city and 19-21 on he highway. If anyhing happened to this 4Runner I'd replace it with anothe one.

No one voted for the Pathfinder. I think I got my answer. Thanks very much.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
smile.gif

I'd love to find a well maintained manual transmission equipped Pathfinder. I also own two 4Runners (2005 & 2017).
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CARJ
2004-05 4Runner's with the V6 have had head gasket issues. Despite this, I love mine.

right and a big reason to trade one in, so look at the '06-'09 4th gen lot of cherry ones out there.

I never minded the Pathfinder except for the rear passenger entry. I found it awkward and tight to get in and out. That was my only gripe.

Nissan, in general, uses cheaper materials in their construction, than Toyota, and the fit & finish is, in general, not as good. And that's reflected in the price. You can get a Nissan for less. That said, they generally build a good engine.

2003-2009

Like traditional SUVs, the 4Runner is based on a full truck-based frame and is especially suited for serious off-roading. It doesn't provide the nimble, carlike handling of car-based SUVs, but among old-school SUVs, the 4Runner was better than most peers. This generation was surprisingly refined, with a reasonably comfortable ride and a very quiet cabin. Lively and responsive, the smooth 4.0-liter V6 returns only 16 mpg overall. A silky smooth 4.7-liter V8 is also available. Stability control is standard. Thanks to near-bulletproof durability and a subsequent 2010 redesign that cheapened the car, this generation is highly sought on the used market, keeping prices high.

Consumer Reports

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices

Did the rodeo and the passport rebadge have transmission issues in this time frame or am I thinking of something else?

Rodeo/Passport used a GM 4L30E, which was an odd ball, but not too bad a trans with decent maint. The last year of the Rodeo was 2004 and offered a optional direct injected version of the 3.5L and had a stronger Aisin 4spd AT. I forget the model number trans, but it was a good one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices

Rodeo/Passport used a GM 4L30E, which was an odd ball, but not too bad a trans with decent maint. The last year of the Rodeo was 2004 and offered a optional direct injected version of the 3.5L and had a stronger Aisin 4spd AT. I forget the model number trans, but it was a good one.

That Isuzu 3.5 was one of the first GDI engines on the road. I’d skip.

My mom had an infiniti QX4 2001 which was the same as the pathfinder of that gen. Ran great up until 2015 when my dad starting using it as a work truck. Came with all the bells and whistles. Rear heated seats in 2001 lol. But the downsides were that the suspension sucked, rear entry even as a kid was horrible. Dad also has a 2009 4runner limited and that runs like a champ even as a work truck. +1 for the 4runner unless you can find an amazing qx4 or pathfinder

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
smile.gif

I'd love to find a well maintained manual transmission equipped Pathfinder. I also own two 4Runners (2005 & 2017).
smile.gif

I test drove one of those and it was very nice! Although 5th was stupid low. But if you mostly drive 55 roads it would be OK.
In my search the Pathfinder 99 to 04 was much cheaper than the 4runner, but you have watch for structural rust and the odd one ate some set screws from the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back